Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    wantatonedbutt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Glutes not quads??!

Hello i am new to this site and new to weight lifting, so sorry if i sound a bit dumb, thats because i am when it comes to this as im still learning haha Anyway im really trying to lift my bum,because atm its very saggy! Im lifting heavy weights doing squats deadlifts lunges and wide squats, the problem is i really dont want to build my quad muscles, just the butt, are the excersing i am doing going to build both if so what exercises target specificaly the glutes. Thanks

BigMiniBaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigMiniBaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigMiniBaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigMiniBaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigMiniBaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigMiniBaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigMiniBaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigMiniBaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigMiniBaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigMiniBaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigMiniBaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The easiest way(IMO) to build those gorgeous glutes is to train the quads and hammies with it. Maybe not so much hamstrings as quadriceps. Quads and glutes tend to go hand in hand. May I ask why you don't want to train quads?
    Team Pisces.
    Team Knowledge.
    Team Transformation.
    Team Fat2Fit.

Humble, yet Hungry.

Any reps are more than welcome, more than appreciated, and more than deserved.

Striving for my first PT license ~Christmas/'13.

_______
    www.CureYourOwnCancer.org

Yes, not wanting to affend anyone as everyone has personal tastes, but im not a fan of the look where they buldge out at the front, and dont want to have that happen to my legs while im training the glutes. Its a shame that they go hand in hand! was hopin there was a way to target the glutes specificly.

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sprints are the best in your case.

Please read thoroughly the article by Bret Contreras about glute training, "Dispelling the Glute Myth". It has many glute exercise examples. Just choose one to your liking.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...the_glute_myth

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Glutes on a female sprinter

-

Attached Images

superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) superja is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I fail to see how doing sprints will build glutes without quads. These ladies all seem to have pretty developed quads. Great glutes, yes, but basically awesome legs all around.

srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    On the smith machine do squats butt to the ground... You have to go lighter than you would with normal squats. It really hits your glutes nicely!
    IFBB Bikini Pro
    NFPT & NESTA Certified Personal Trainer
    CEO BamBody Nutrition
    Official Formutech Nutrition Athlete
    Www.formutechnutrition.com

Originally Posted by superja View Post
    I fail to see how doing sprints will build glutes without quads. These ladies all seem to have pretty developed quads. Great glutes, yes, but basically awesome legs all around.
    Sprinting is an explosive exercise in which hip hyperextension happens naturally. Yes, it develops legs overall but streamlined and with emphasis on the glutes.

From the article above:

A sprint activates 234% more mean gluteus maximus muscle than a vertical jump.

• Due to the increased glute activation, sprinters commonly experience "butt-lock;" whereas repetitive vertical jumpers experience "quad-lock."

• In resistance training, there are two distinct types of hip extension exercises; those that mimic vertical jumping and those that mimic sprinting.

• Hip extension exercises that mimic vertical jumping have vertical or axial directional load vectors and include squats, deadlifts, and static lunges.

• Hip extension exercises that mimic sprinting have horizontal or anteroposterior directional load vectors, involve hip hyperextension, and include reverse hypers, back extensions, hip thrusts, pendulum quadruped hip extensions, and pull throughs.
    Exercises that mimic sprinting and their effect on glutes:
    In order, the hip hyperextension exercises with the highest glute activation are the single leg bent leg reverse hyper (122%), hip thrust (119%), pendulum quadruped hip extension (112%), bent leg reverse hyper (111%).

Exercises that mimic vertical jumping and their effect on glutes:
    • In order, the hip extension exercises with the highest glute activation are the kneeling squat (67%), deadlift (55%), sumo deadlift (52%) and Zercher squat (45%).

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Jetigen View Post
    Sprinting is an explosive exercise in which hip hyperextension happens naturally. Yes, it develops legs overall but streamlined and with emphasis on the glutes.
    how do you generate progressive tension overload with sprints?

and sprinters squat as part of their training.
    Last edited by Miranda; 03-27-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by srb04e View Post
    On the smith machine do squats butt to the ground... You have to go lighter than you would with normal squats. It really hits your glutes nicely!
    This. Also, to make it harder, you could do a single legged squat on the smith machine followed by a superset with the "fire hydrant" and/or donkey kicks with ankle weights if its too easy. Your butt will be sore every week if you do this! Doing leg extensions before the smith squat is a good way to pre-exhaust the quads and use more glute when doing the smith squat also.

ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ironwilledchic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Also, having built my butt up from a long distance "runner's butt", i.e. pancake butt, my glute area is not huge in my pics but has definitely shown progress since I started consistently training it in the gym. Also, just saw this video not too long ago which looks like it wouldn't be that hard, but if you are more experienced in the gym, add some ankle weights and you will most definitely be sore. I have done all of these exercises with ankle weights and without them and they DO work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12PjUEjZZGM

Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Igmann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There is no effective compound leg exercise that will train glutes/hams without training the quads as well. Also, this imbalance can result to an injury.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by wantatonedbutt View Post
    Hello i am new to this site and new to weight lifting, so sorry if i sound a bit dumb, thats because i am when it comes to this as im still learning haha Anyway im really trying to lift my bum,because atm its very saggy! Im lifting heavy weights doing squats deadlifts lunges and wide squats, the problem is i really dont want to build my quad muscles, just the butt, are the excersing i am doing going to build both if so what exercises target specificaly the glutes. Thanks
    RDL's
    Zercher, Sumo or heavy goblet squats
    Glute/hamm raises
    Goodmornings
    Heavy smith lunges
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mediumraw has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by wantatonedbutt View Post
    Glute/Ham raises or Romanian Deadlifts will probably work for you, but you don't want to develop a huge imbalance from front to back...

Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    how do you generate progressive tension overload with sprints?

and sprinters squat as part of their training.
    In sprints, it's in terms of max speed percentages. Muscle mass and strength is not a goal. BTW, not all sprinters do strength training.

I used to train as a sprinter in my younger years. Our routine was like this: Training 6 times a week. On Mon, Tue, Thu and Fri a variety of sprinting training (60, 100, 200, 400 and even 800 meters, long jumps, hurdles, etc ). On Wed and Sat we'd do fast cross-country running (from 5k to 12k) with last 1k being non-stop alternating 100 meter sprints and slow jogging. Sunday off.

For me the hardest distance was always 400 meters. Second hardest was 200 m. I always felt like I was about to die right before reaching the finish line on those. I couldn't even feel my legs.

schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    PP mentioned Bret Contreras (swoon) and it reminded me of his new book that OP might be interested in:

http://www.amazon.ca/Strong-Curves-W.../dp/1936608642

I just ordered it yesterday so can't give you any feedback but I'm excited to receive it.

Thanks alot everyone for your replys! I will look into them all! i did buy the Brazil Bum lift DVDS a while back although they sound commercialy naff, it was actually full of very good exercises, but keep hearing everyone go on bout weight barbell squats etc so wasnt sure if the dvd was enough, i might combine the too to give the quads a rest, Thanks alot

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Heavy kettlebell swings - will still work the quads of course, but oooh the glutes!

Romina81 is just really nice. (+1000) Romina81 is just really nice. (+1000) Romina81 is just really nice. (+1000) Romina81 is just really nice. (+1000) Romina81 is just really nice. (+1000) Romina81 is just really nice. (+1000) Romina81 is just really nice. (+1000) Romina81 is just really nice. (+1000) Romina81 is just really nice. (+1000) Romina81 is just really nice. (+1000) Romina81 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Not sure if it was mentioned but heavy hip thrusts and glute bridges with a barbell work the butt REALLY good.

I used to hate on them but found the right way to do them and my butt gets numb from thrusts unlike any other exercise.

srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Smile

Girl I like your style!!!
    IFBB Bikini Pro
    NFPT & NESTA Certified Personal Trainer
    CEO BamBody Nutrition
    Official Formutech Nutrition Athlete
    Www.formutechnutrition.com

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    In sprints, it's in terms of max speed percentages. Muscle mass and strength is not a goal.
    how do you build bigger glutes then?
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

cc21507 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cc21507 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cc21507 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cc21507 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cc21507 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cc21507 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cc21507 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cc21507 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cc21507 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cc21507 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cc21507 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by srb04e View Post
    ^^^^ YUP def! Oh and throw in some box squats right after eat set

aTeam_ is a name known to all. (+5000) aTeam_ is a name known to all. (+5000) aTeam_ is a name known to all. (+5000) aTeam_ is a name known to all. (+5000) aTeam_ is a name known to all. (+5000) aTeam_ is a name known to all. (+5000) aTeam_ is a name known to all. (+5000) aTeam_ is a name known to all. (+5000) aTeam_ is a name known to all. (+5000) aTeam_ is a name known to all. (+5000) aTeam_ is a name known to all. (+5000)

Please read thoroughly the article by Bret Contreras about glute training, "Dispelling the Glute Myth". It has many glute exercise examples. Just choose one to your liking.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...the_glute_myth
    Quoting this article because it needs more attention. I'm definitely adding hip thrusts to my girlfriend and I's workout

Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hannah82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Mine are most epic when I do sprints and the results present quickly.
    I have no idea what I'm doing, I just fkking do it.
    If it's hard that just means you need to do it more until it isn't.

~DSC~X~
    *AF Vet Crew**aeronautical science student*
    ♡beards♡

Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Botika has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Romina81 View Post
    Not sure if it was mentioned but heavy hip thrusts and glute bridges with a barbell work the butt REALLY good.

I used to hate on them but found the right way to do them and my butt gets numb from thrusts unlike any other exercise.
    Agree with this. I love hip thrusts and they hit my glutes and hammies like not other exercise.

Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    how do you build bigger glutes then?
    By utilizing high repetitions and explosiveness in sprint training. Sprinting itself is an excellent glute builder.

Footnote:

About importance of explosiveness in strength, power and speed training, and its effect on muscle building:

Speed work and dynamic effort work explained to bodybuilders:

-
    -

Now about high repetitions:

Impressive muscles can be built without heavy weights. German volume training is a good example of such approach. And then there is Serge Nubret.

Excerpt about Serge Nubret's training from Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding (page 597):

Serge's training style was as unique as it was effective. In a time of high-volume training Serge took things to the extreme. He routinely did 20 to 30 sets for his muscle groups and used weights that most modern bodybuilders would consider warmup weights. But the results speak for themselves.

Other than perhaps his abnominals, Serge's chest was his greatest asset. From collarbone to lower ribcage, Serge's chest resembled two oversized balloons. Perhaps the most amazing thing about Serge's chest was how he built it. Believe it or not, he used just one exercise throughout his long training career - the flat barbell press. During a typical workout Serge would use from 185 to 225 pounds and do 20 sets of 15-20 reps. That was it. If you've been doing multiple-exercise chest workouts using heavy weight without seeing results, why not give Serge's workout a try?
    Serge Nubret at his peak:
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Jetigen; 03-28-2013 at 06:38 PM.

JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thank you, I needed this so much! I love cardio.

JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000) JulieC26 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    And I feel a lot of my hamstrings/glutes being worked with ATG Squats.
    Basically, I'm squatting deeper than parallel

[/url]
    That is a great article, very usefull! Thankyou.

To the people who mentiond Sprints, what exactly is a sprint, do you just mean going for a fast run? Thanks.