charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Distance Runner Weight Training?

I've tried NROL programs, and i've found they wear out my legs with the extra lunge/single leg stance work. I also tried stronglifts 5x5 at one point, but I would increase the weight too much, stall, de-load, and work my way back up to the exact place I stalled before, if not, stall sooner (I also felt a knee injury coming on with squats). I'd rather work my way up to increasing weight slowly. So, I worked out my own routine:

(just a general idea of what i'd be doing; it would be much more thouroughly organized; I would do one horizontal push, and a vertical pull one day, then a vertical push and a horizontal pull the next day I do weight training, and repeat this. I'd lift 2x a week, and do 3 sets of squats and 3 sets of DL 1x/week each. I would also be changing up the exercises every 4 weeks or so)

Power (Box Jumps, etc. 5-8 reps)
    Core (stability like a plank; then after a month, include things like jackknives, hanging leg raises, reverse crunches, etc)
    Upper body pull (pull ups, chin ups, rows, etc)
    Upper body push (Push ups, bench presses, shoulder presses, etc)
    Squat/Deadlift Movement
    Complex (should I even bother?)

After about one month of this, I would include some plyometric training and drills. Regarding these, should I continue with it during the season? I was thinking of adding a barbell complex at the end too if I had time, but would it just be a waste? I'm attempting periodizing this program to get the most out of my running (and also because I want to look somewhat lean/toned. I'm vain lol). I would do 6-10 reps pre-season, then 12-15 during the season to maintain (except for the power exercises and plyometrics; those will be seperate).

Thank you for reading. Would this be ideal for me to possibly improve my running? Does it suck? Please let me know!! Also, if there's a good program out there that fits my goals that you know of, please let me know!!!

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Importantly, how much running do you do?

charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlatte987 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Currently 30-35. In training for XC, 40 give or take a few

BlakeWhite001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm also I distance runner, I'm a senior and running at a D1 school next year. The past year I did a mix of training, I ran 55-65 mpw with only polys body weight exercises (squats, lunges, push ups, pull ups, core work) and basic lifts (bench press, overhead press, lunges, squat, power clean.. not very heavy weight) this winter. I haven't been in a big meet to run a fast time but I feel like I'm in 9:20 3200m shape based off of workouts.

Before XC (I know it seems backwards), over the summer, I maxed at 60 and averaged between high 40s - low 50s mpw with 1 day of hard lifting and 2 days of body weight work.
    A workout I liked doing was:
    3 sets of the fallowing, lowering reps and increasing weight each set (# of reps in each set)
    Leg Press 15, 12, 10
    Single Leg Hamstring curl 12, 10, 8
    Single leg extension 12, 10, 8
    Calf raises 15, 12, 10

Sun: Easy jogging
    Mon: Easy long run (80-85% of Saturday long run)
    Tue: Tempo run + body weight workout
    Wed: Easy run
    Thu: Progression run + body weight workout
    Fri: Long Run
    Sat Weights + light jogging

I ran 15:25 in October after doing this in June and July. I switched to only body weight exercises both during XC and this track while getting close to and during competition season.

Both ways of training worked of me. With high mileage, low lifting I feel great but I can tell my pure explosion / fast twitch speed isn't as good as when i was lifting. But I pr'd in the 400 by .1 second this year already so it could work either way. Running will make you a better runner. Hill repeats and short hill sprints are a great thing for high mileage runners looking for strength. If you can carefully push from 40 mpw to steady high 40s or low 50 with body weight work in XC then switch back to lifting and power focus before track then the base from XC will benefit you greatly.

Good luck
    Personal Best:
    400 - 53
    800 - 1:59
    Mile - 4:25
    2Mile - 9:33
    5000m - 15:24

ModernGoliath is on a distinguished road. (+10) ModernGoliath is on a distinguished road. (+10) ModernGoliath is on a distinguished road. (+10) ModernGoliath is on a distinguished road. (+10) ModernGoliath is on a distinguished road. (+10) ModernGoliath is on a distinguished road. (+10) ModernGoliath is on a distinguished road. (+10) ModernGoliath is on a distinguished road. (+10) ModernGoliath is on a distinguished road. (+10) ModernGoliath is on a distinguished road. (+10) ModernGoliath is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Letsrun.com, this is where you need to go if you are serious about improving in distance running. There is a message board on the site with a ton of good info just sift through the bs and you can post without creating an account. I would recommend educating your self on this site.

XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XCRunner9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Not saying I plan on getting serious about competitive running next year until I gain at least 10 more pounds and feel it's safe to really start training hard, but how long do you guys thinking it will take to reach a 5:14 mile which was my PR in Track? I'm not too sure about mile time atm because I've been recovering from an injury and anorexia, but I ran a run that was slightly longer than a mile that had gravel and a huge hill and managed 5:49 (somebody ran a 5:39 on that and he ran a 5:27 mile if that helps). I'm hoping to achieve my PR by the end of Summer and is wondering if that's an achievable goal.

Glutes for the Sloots ignarly12's Avatar
    ignarly12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ignarly12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ignarly12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ignarly12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ignarly12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ignarly12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ignarly12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ignarly12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ignarly12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ignarly12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ignarly12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Op, 5x5 doesnt fail, you are a distance runner so im betting ur body destroys your calorie supply. Im fat and 5x5 works to keep strenth and hopefully slight gains but im also cutting. You are running so much and im guessing you are an ectomorph so gaining muscle is not gonna happen, you're maintaining at best. If you want to gain muscle you gotta eat 3500+ calories if not more because your runs. Also, ignore sprint speed, u are a distance runner and not a sprinter for a reason