Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Your opinion on gym classes

Which one do you prefer and why? The main reason why I like classes is because they're fun and I'm more likely to be motivated to go to the gym on a regular basis than if I didn't attend any at all.

If you don't prefer any at all - why? Should I stop going to classes? What works for you?

Putting it into perspective; I go to a commercial gym (in Australia) that offers spin/RPM, pump, zumba, yoga, core, step etc classes and I classify myself as an all time noob in regards to lifting.

Gia85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gia85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gia85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gia85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gia85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gia85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gia85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gia85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gia85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gia85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gia85 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Blah... I HATE classes! I'm not a big cardio fan full stop though.

I just think they're boring and aren't helping me reach my goals. I guess they're not bad if you do one or two per week ON TOP of a solid lifting routine/good diet, but I've never seen a woman in body pump and thought... 'ooh, I wish I had her body!'

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm a firm believer in doing what you enjoy. For someone, that might just be a morning walk, for others it is a hardcore BB routine. Do what you love, or at least find a way to enjoy something that helps you meet your goals.

Putting in the work IrishLassie78's Avatar
    IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IrishLassie78 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If taking classes gets you motivated to go then keep at it. There's no reason to not take classes if that's what you like doing. I got started with free weights in a Body Pump class at my gym. I got more results out of taking that class 3 times a week than I'd ever gotten with the loads of cardio and occasional barbie weights I'd been doing. After a couple of months of that I decided I needed more and heavier lifting so I started reading and perusing this forum and educating myself. I don't take classes very often now because they don't really fit into my schedule, and heavy squats and deadlifts just aren't really a part of them, but I will probably take that class again when I deload for a couple of weeks if I can make it work with my schedule so I can give my body a bit of a break but not lose what I've worked so hard for. I do take Zumba classes pretty frequently because it's fun and if I'm going to do cardio, I want it to be fun. I like spinning too, also because it's fun and motivating. It's a lot easier to stick to something when you find something you really enjoy doing.
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163596431

Registered User redheadedgymrat's Avatar
    redheadedgymrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I say whatever encourages you personally to be healthier, more fit and want to be in the gym! Everyone has different preferences --- some like the alone time of lifting by yourself lost in your headphones and some like the social aspect of lifting with a buddy or doing a spin class. Do what YOU like.

I LOVE lifting and alone time hehe but I like to add in gym classes to help up my cardio and just do something different. I do Zumba, Spin and Yoga once a week and just added a Pole Dance class too because its helping me with pull ups [and its just HOT! ].
    After reaching my workout goals I hit a slump and gave up on myself for a year... I'm back and ready to kill it.

PCOS fighter

Current Stats: 148lbs 5.5 24%BF
    GOAL Stats: 132-135lbs, 18-19%BF

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Does it have to be one or the other? I used to enjoy my spin class twice a week, in addition to powerlifting on my own 3 days per week. Now I don't take classes because it doesn't fit my schedule, but there's not a reason NOT to, unless you are afraid to "cut the apron strings" so to speak and that is keeping you from lifting the big-girl weights, lol.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I honestly do not think it has to be one or the other. And I do believe it depends on your goals as well. I mean, if you are say, training for a marathon, then I wouldn't suggest doing the amount of running needed and taking classes all the time. But generally, I do not see why you should stop taking classes if that what you want and love to do.

Currently teaching 5 classes per week, plus I try and take at least one more class a week that I don't teach (and that's just personal), plus lifting and stretching. And I try and do pole as well at least twice a week. Actually, im eating a lot (on a bulk) and I feel great, so im just gonna keep it up! All those endorphins make me pretty happy, lol!

Just figure out what works for you and don't worry about anything or anyone else!
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

wowice is just really nice. (+1000) wowice is just really nice. (+1000) wowice is just really nice. (+1000) wowice is just really nice. (+1000) wowice is just really nice. (+1000) wowice is just really nice. (+1000) wowice is just really nice. (+1000) wowice is just really nice. (+1000) wowice is just really nice. (+1000) wowice is just really nice. (+1000) wowice is just really nice. (+1000)
    I am two classes into yoga. I really enjoy it and it is helping with my flexablity. Normally its 1-3 guys including myself, I went in not being able to touch my toes but i am making progress. I would totally recommend classes.
    http://instagram.com/feest_ur_eyez/

Workout Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167259321

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I don't do any classes, but if I had the time on top of my main program and everything else in life, and my gym actually had classes, I'd probably do some each week. Spin classes would be right up there in my to-do list, since they are pure, unadulterated cardio. I'd consider doing something like body combat or boxing classes, although I'd rather take up an actual martial arts class of some variety. I've done aqua classes in the past, and in the context that I was doing them I enjoyed it. I wouldn't expect that from most aqua classes, though. I've done some yoga/Pilates classes that were very enjoyable, and some that made me want to shoot myself. One of these days, I'd like to learn some better dance moves than my signature step-on-your-foot technique, so in about 100 years time I may take up some kind of dance class. Actual dance, not zumba. Although I may be persuaded to try out a zumba class, if she's really hot.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Location: London, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you like it, do it.

My own gym runs classes basically for people who don't know how to structure their own workout, and the classes don't fit my goals. I think that in many cases, if you have specific goals then you're best avoiding classes and making sure you maximise your workout efficiency. I'd be frustrated if classes interfered with my lifting recovery and detracted from my progress in that area, which is why I only ever made it to pump class once. However, that's just me - and I still go for the occasional spin class on a cardio day when I don't feel like running.

Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boobasaur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all the replies! I'll keep doing it because I like to, hopefully one day I'll start doing big girl heavy lifting :P

Originally Posted by Gia85 View Post
    but I've never seen a woman in body pump and thought... 'ooh, I wish I had her body!'
    ^Strange, I've actually seen one but she must do a lot of her own gym time on top of it.

Also I'm glad everybody echoed the thought on spin class, I do like my spin class once in a while if I can't be bothered running. And oh so many suggestions for pole dancing!

My problem is at the moment I don't have enough time yet to start searching and using this forum properly because of other stuff in my life. At the moment I'm doing the pump class to learn the basics (and also having fun at it!) and I'm surprised I'm getting 'newbie' gains. I suppose once those gains slow down I'll have to start heavier lifting and I'll be on this forum much more often, looking forward to it yay.

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I used to take a lot of classes, back when I was a cardio bunny, and I really enjoyed them. I did things like cardio kickboxing, step, and boot camp type classes. Now I have cut my cardio way down, and due to work I can't make it to classes, but I still wish I could get my cardio done in a class instead of getting bored to death on a cardio machine.
    Follow my 2018 competition prep here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175566421&p=1547462721#post1547462721