Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post
    I know a lot of people on here dont prescribe to "bulking" and "cutting", but for me, I have found it is the best way forward. (but I also do it VERY structured).

Anyway....it is almost like living two different lives in two different bodies. I am well into the meat of my planned surplus (going on 7 weeks in). Funny, my wife complains that she is not a big fan of the way I look "bulking". She calls me affectionately (or maybe not), "gorilla", or "boulder". I can almost see her point. I dont think anyone would ever notice this in general, but since I am always at one extreme or the other, it becomes very apparent as these changes (the largest swings) take place over only a few weeks. I saw a good friend who I had not seen in a few months (he knows me real well and works around my eating....meeting up for lunches..etc), first comment out of his mouth is..."Your eating again arent you?".

I am not sure what it is....but I enjoy the swings. It is like living two different lives....both with good sides and bad. I dont think the outside world gets it though .

Each side has it's up and down sides. Here is a few thoughts.

Cutting:

-LOVE the way I feel, (body wise). I feel much more limber, athletic, mobile flexible...etc
    -Like the way I look without clothes...but not as much with clothes

Dislikes
    -Hate always wanting more food....ALWAYS
    -workouts drag along....no real progress.
    -I suffer more aches and pains

Surplus:
    -LOVE the strength and performance in the gym
    -Like the way I fill out clothes more...but still like the way I look sans clothes too....just thicker then when cutting
    -I feel almost bullet proof and invincible when I am eating. (no aches or pains)
    -I like eating....and I enjoy the extra cals and macros for sure....(but it is double edged...as it grows tiring)

Dislikes
    -that uncomfortable 'bulky' feeling all the time. Harder to do everyday things....I feel like a weeble-wobble sometimes when I walk Just uncomfortable a lot of times.
    -Eating ALL the time....boy it wears you out
    -Knowing my wife is not a fan of the "bulkier" look.

This dichotomy is interesting. I am thinking at some point in the future, I may not go to such extremes. Maybe a kinder gentler lifestyle. But my drive to keep improving is not letting me let this go yet. I still have some pretty big goals to hit.

Anybody else feel this way. Like they are living two extremes?...
    The problem with bulking is most people do it wrong, its not about eating whatever you want or becoming a fat ass. I can see by the replies in this thread some people thing that's what its about. I always found the optimal range to be about 500cal/day....1lb week...but the odd thing is, the longer you do it and more muscle you gain..you always have to keep upping the calories as your metabolism speeds up. I remember some years at about 265-270 I was eating 6k a day and some weeks I lost weight. Typically would cut on the 2500-3000k cals a day range.

but yes I do understand what your saying, its the only way I made progress as well with my genetics. Just couldn't gain when on low or maitenence cals.... had to always have 2 sets of work clothes. size 34 waist, and size 38 waist. I am not sure what it is about bulking but waist always goes up quick, like 2 weeks...I think its from increased level of food stretching out stomach or water. Because it comes off in about 2 weeks too, when you go super clean on the food.

At any rate, while do did enjoy the gains I could make bulking, I hated the dieting (but did it every year)... its easier now since I can't compete anymore to just try to stay in good shape and enjoy myself over the holidays...and take a month in feb. to just tighten up real quick.
    I do not sugar coat things, but you got in the condition you're in by "sugar coating."