Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Accutane and the serious lifter

I'm making this thread for the hope of someone who has used accutane and lifts hard to give me some help. I'm thinking of tring accutane but not until i do some research. I hear its a pritty hard drug and can cause a lot of problems or side effects. Anyway my main question for anyone who has used it is just to tell me how it affected your training. Did it make you a lot more sore? slower recorvery? did it ruin your strength? anything you give me would be very helpful.

the reason im asking here and not a doctor is because most doctors or derms do not understand real training. anyway thanks to anyone who helps.

d_kid604 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_kid604 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    iam taking accutane doesnt seem to effect my strengths or gains the only side effect i feel is dry skin

kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i wasnt training when i was on it but if i were you if you are going to bulk id be very careful the dry skin can get so bad that i got painful stretch marks.it hurt to stretch.it also thinned my skin.so stay very hydrated,and lotioned up to fight against the dry skin.
    In a crowd of ordinary fish, the sharks really stand out

Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gainwithfailure will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    thanks guys. The more replies the better idea ill have. so keep posting to anyone who has used.
    kwickez how long were you on it and how long have been off. would you recomend it or have any regrets?

user431786 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm still on 80mg Accutane, and it's not hindering my progress.

Go with Accutane, clear face is always good, I know how you feel.

bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000)

Originally Posted by Gainwithfailure View Post
    I'm making this thread for the hope of someone who has used accutane and lifts hard to give me some help. I'm thinking of tring accutane but not until i do some research. I hear its a pritty hard drug and can cause a lot of problems or side effects. Anyway my main question for anyone who has used it is just to tell me how it affected your training. Did it make you a lot more sore? slower recorvery? did it ruin your strength? anything you give me would be very helpful.

the reason im asking here and not a doctor is because most doctors or derms do not understand real training. anyway thanks to anyone who helps.
    Yeah I took it for seven months straight. Hardest part about the whole process is getting the damn stuff. They keep it under tighter lock and key that narcotics (yah rly). Basically you have to get a blood draw every month EXACTLY 7 days before your next doctors appointment where you get the prescription upon which they have two days to submit some form to the online verification place, then you can pick it up. If any of it gets ****ed up you have to wait a whole month before you can try to get the drug again. Worst side effect was either the dry skin or EXTREME thinness you will get.
    I scratched my nose one time, and ended up with a half inch gash that was so bad my dermatologist gave me a prescription topical so it didn't get infected. On squats the bar will rip the **** out of your back and make you cry mommy, and if you deadlift say good bye to ever having skin on your shins. Gave me depression pretty bad while I was on too (some of which I still have, and never had before I took the stuff). No weakness or extreme soreness from what I could tell.

thanks man. has your skin retured normal after this from the thining and easy scratching?

bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

thanks man. has your skin retured normal after this from the thining and easy scratching?
    Yeah, skin is completely fine now. It's pretty normal after you come off for it to be drier than before, but it doesn't stay thin. It's nice to not be as oily.

Geek Giving Crappy Advice SchemeSC's Avatar
    SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Accutane caused my brother to grow an extra bone in his knee. Seriously.
    Intermediate 5x5 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=974394

"Bodybuilding and powerlifting are two different sports, but there are undeniable similarities. I would go so far as to state that, for the novice or early intermediate, they are the same sport." -Dave76

i really hope your joking. And if that did happen how can you be sure it was the accutane.

Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baker19 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SchemeSC View Post
    Wtf? Pics. No wait no pics.

Squatting for huge arms 7Forty7's Avatar
    7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I was on Roaccutane (Aus version, exact same stuff) for around 9 months, for severe cystic acne on my chest. I wasn't doing anything except triathlon training at the time - strength training consisted of pushups, situps and chinups. So this is not 100% on topic for heavy weight training, but I'll throw it in anyway.

The main side effect I noticed was cramping and lethargy while running - although someone has since pointed out the cramping may have been a side-side-effect due to dehydration from the drug. Drying of the skin is inevitable on it - mine was most severe on the lips, and on the nose. Not as bad as some though. For a weight trainer, I'd just say make doubly sure you're well hydrated before, during and after training.

And I can also agree with the comment on how difficult it is to get - GPs can't prescribe it here, only dermatologists - and even they have to get verbal and written authorisation from the government. Quite nasty stuff.

thanks for your story dude helps a lot. Did you notice running was harder or not as much energy?or anything like that. thanks guys for posting please continue anyone else who can give me an idea at what im looking at. I want to be very carful befor i make the decision because theres so many negative side effects from this drug. thanks again

7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Running was harder - just felt a bit lethargic, sort of like having an off day where you didn't sleep well the night before. The cramping was the annoying part - If I was running 5km, for instance, I'd cramp up at about the 2km mark.

The thing with this drug is that everyone experiences different sides. About the only guaranteed thing is dry skin. I wouldn't worry about the rubbish out there about Accutance causing suicidal depression etc. - I've always thought there were other factors at play there. For example, kid has severe low self esteem, Accutane is taken to help with appearance, doesn't help, kid gets even more depressed and tops self. Next thing you know, the parents are on TV claiming "Accutane killed my son".

I'm no doctor but I don't see any major risk in taking it and training. Like everything, just keep the medical people informed of what training you plan to do, listen to your body and don't try to train through a condition your body's telling you you shouldn't.

Hope all this helps.

LittleMick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LittleMick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LittleMick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LittleMick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LittleMick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LittleMick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LittleMick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LittleMick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LittleMick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LittleMick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LittleMick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I took accutane when I was about 16. My spots were terrible at the time so I was probably put on quite a high dosage. Can't say for sure though. I wasn't weight training at the time but I was playing rugby. I had to totally stop doing sports as my joints were so dry. I couldn't run without pain, and I couldn't run fast. I doubt very much I'd have been able to lift, either. Also, for 4 months my lips were so dry that they bled every time I openend my mouth too wide. Every meal was a chore. Every single meal...It was terrible.

However, I would take it again in a heartbeat. The results are incredible.

Yes sorry, forgot to add that the drug worked wonders. Sides were worth it, even over 9 months. Worked a charm.

cirrus4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i used accutane for 6 months about 8 years ago. i wasn't weight training (swimming very actively) at the time but had no noticeable side effects at all. i've had no reoccuring acne since. it was one of the best things i ever did. i love that drug.

Geek Giving Crappy Advice SchemeSC's Avatar
    SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i really hope your joking. And if that did happen how can you be sure it was the accutane.
    Here's a list of possible side effects of Accutane: http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/isotret_ad.htm

Notice that one of the side effects is "skeletal hyperotosis". Here's the definition of hyperotosis in case youre wondering.

hy·per·os·to·sis /ˌhaɪpərɒˈstoʊsɪs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hahy-per-o-stoh-sis] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun Pathology.
    abnormal development of bony tissue.

OR

hy·per·os·to·sis (hī'pər-ŏ-stō'sĭs) Pronunciation Key
    n. pl. hy·per·os·to·ses (-sēz)
    Excessive or abnormal thickening or growth of bone tissue.

Have fun with that. I would only take Accutane if the acne is RUINING YOUR LIFE. If you are so depressed that you want to kill yourself, then take it. If you only have moderate acne, there are safer options in my opinion.
    Intermediate 5x5 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=974394

"Bodybuilding and powerlifting are two different sports, but there are undeniable similarities. I would go so far as to state that, for the novice or early intermediate, they are the same sport." -Dave76

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I took it my junior year of high school and I was fine. The dry skin was horrible, but otherwise everything was ok, training and otherwise.

Edit: And it was worth it.

i reall appreciate all the replies people sounds like i should give it a go since noone has said they regret it

Here's a list of possible side effects of Accutane: http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/isotret_ad.htm

Notice that one of the side effects is "skeletal hyperotosis". Here's the definition of hyperotosis in case youre wondering.

hy·per·os·to·sis /ˌhaɪpərɒˈstoʊsɪs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hahy-per-o-stoh-sis] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun Pathology.
    abnormal development of bony tissue.

OR

hy·per·os·to·sis (hī'pər-ŏ-stō'sĭs) Pronunciation Key
    n. pl. hy·per·os·to·ses (-sēz)
    Excessive or abnormal thickening or growth of bone tissue.

Have fun with that. I would only take Accutane if the acne is RUINING YOUR LIFE. If you are so depressed that you want to kill yourself, then take it. If you only have moderate acne, there are safer options in my opinion.
    thanks man for the info. what does your brother think of the drug after all that? mine isnt that bad but nothing else seems to work. ANd im just sick of the ****. but i dont want to reck myself over it ethier

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    thanks man for the info. what does your brother think of the drug after all that? mine isnt that bad but nothing else seems to work. ANd im just sick of the ****. but i dont want to reck myself over it ethier
    You have to sign a bunch of **** before you take it, and I had visits every 2 weeks with my dermatologist while I was taking it. Assuming you do this, you can catch serious side effects quickly and usually reverse them.

Couple of points on this, I'd say this is a pretty extreme case - I've heard the comments of hundreds of people who've taken it, both on the net and face to face, and the really serious, life altering sides are extremely rare, and a lot of the time I think they're not even a direct effect of the drug (talking about the psychological sides here).

Second, can't speak for the US, but here in Aus, you simply don't have the option of taking it for moderate acne. It's a last resort drug for severe acne. The acne was by no means ruining my life, but I was very conscious of it, as it looked like I'd taken a round of buckshot to the chest when I took my shirt off. Don't have a single regret about taking it.

immune to overtraining gollybegully's Avatar
    gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Its been proven that accutane may cause depression....which is most common....not to mention hair loss, night blindness, umm liver and metabolic problems...which is why u have to draw blood to check cholesterol once or twice a month....aneurisms....more acne. thats just what i remember off the top of my head but theres alot more.

I've had pretty bad acne since i was 13 and ive tried everything except accutane and i pretty much just gave up on it at this point. They way I see it I'd rather deal with acne then those possible side effects. (the only times it really pisses me off is when i get a huge painful zit on my traps where the bar rests during squats!!) God I hate that.

gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gollybegully is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SevenFortySeven View Post
    life altering sides are extremely rare
    I dont know about that...my dermatologist runs a small practice and he's had at least half a dozen horror stories

miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by gollybegully View Post
    I dont know about that...my dermatologist runs a small practice and he's had at least half a dozen horror stories
    would a lowered dosage of accutane minimize the risks?

Originally Posted by miboon View Post
    would a lowered dosage of accutane minimize the risks?
    I'm not sure....but I'm assuming that with such a controversial drug they would already use the smallest working dosage.

But I was dead bent on getting this stuff and my dermatologist talked me out of it. Now my friend took it and had no problems....but with my luck i wouldn't wanna risk it. Plus it must suck to draw blood all the time.

miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) miboon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by gollybegully View Post
    I'm not sure....but I'm assuming that with such a controversial drug they would already use the smallest working dosage.

But I was dead bent on getting this stuff and my dermatologist talked me out of it. Now my friend took it and had no problems....but with my luck i wouldn't wanna risk it. Plus it must suck to draw blood all the time.
    you do realize that the recommended dosage is 0.5 mg to 1 mg per kg of weight a day so an 80 kg person would have to take in 80 mg a day which is equivalent to 8 pills? I'd say thats too much. I'm currently taking in 10 mg a day, and I think that would help to minimize the side effects for people with moderate acne

NuttingToIt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NuttingToIt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NuttingToIt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NuttingToIt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NuttingToIt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NuttingToIt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NuttingToIt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NuttingToIt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NuttingToIt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NuttingToIt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    if you got acne, work on your ****en diet!!! accutane is just a band aid. not a cure.

Originally Posted by NuttingToIt View Post
    if you got acne, work on your ****en diet!!! accutane is just a band aid. not a cure.
    I can somewhat see what your saying but ive tried a lot of things and theres no "CURE"
    I doubt you've experienced what the people posting have. My diet is as clean as I can get it. I eat only oatmeal with no flavor, Tuna, chicken, yogurt, whole wheat bread, pasta, greens, peanut butter, flax oil. About the only sugars i have are in my protein powder.