Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

☁ Pretend Keto Log ☁

~ Time to Get Cut Up ~

I recently started a workout journal and was putting a bunch of diet stuff in there, but figured I'd get more relevant feedback if I pulled that stuff into a new log here. Excuse the copy-pasta, but it all starts out the same...

• Background

By May 2012 I had gotten down to 180lb and around 12% body fat:

I took a 2 week break, which turned into 2 months while I got busy shopping for a (first) house. Diablo 3 had nothing to do with it...

July 2012, I'm in my new home, settled into a new project at work, and it's time to build up some muscles. So I ramped up to a 3000cal diet, and started on a linear progression routine. I wasn't too strict tracking macros, but stuck to a high-protein diet and did my best to hit my target calories each day without limiting fats and/or carbs.

Around mid-November, I got extra busy putting in overtime at work PLUS pressure was mounting to get a side contract done. I stopped going to the gym, but still ate ~2500-3000cal per day. Then I got sick, then holiday madness delayed it further. 6 weeks later - the start of January - I resumed the bulking.

March 1 was the end of my 8-month bulk. My main lifts progressed as follows:

(started conservative, all weights are 3x5)

Squat: 185lb - 265lb (first failed at 260 *only going parallel* then reset and started going below)
    Deadlift: 205lb - 315lb (first failed at 340 with not-so-great form... reset and focused on cleaner form)
    Bench Press: 95lb - 195lb (first failed at 170, couldn't progress until switching things around for benching 3x/week)
    Power Clean: 65lb - 180lb (first failed at 135, first time doing these ever)
    Overhead Press: 60lb - 115lb (first failed at 110, little progress despite multiple resets)

Here's what I look like now, at 210lb and ~19% body fat (caliper and hand-electrode-device confirmed). Not as chubby as after my last bulk, but still should have stopped before getting this fat.

(gotta practice not making dorky faces)

• The Goal: >180lb and <10%bf

Initial: 210lb @ 19%bf = 39.9 fat + 170.1 LBM
    Final: 180lb @ 8%bf = 14.4 fat + 165.6 LBM

That's 30lb loss, with ~85% being fat. Hopefully this is a realistic goal, and one that I can achieve with some dedication.

• The Diet

I will accomplish this by averaging 1 lb/week of weight loss, following a CKD diet (yes I know the word "diet" is redundant). I'm following this route because it sounds like an interesting experiment, and for the (potential) secondary benefits others have mentioned. While it may be no more effective than a standard, equally calorie-deficited diet, how can I know what my preference is without giving it a try?

• The Routine

I'll be following Jim Wendler's 5-3-1 routine with the "triumvirate" accessory protocol. I've chosen this routine due to its flexibility with individual workouts (the final max-out set) and not having a fixed progression model. I don't feel something like Madcow's 5x5 would be as appropriate, as it's unlikely I will be making the weekly strength gains it prescribes. Its concentration on compound lifts with heavy weights should be an obvious choice, to preserve as much muscle as possible.

• Calculating Caloric Intake

I'll go through 2 approaches to determining an estimate for my initial target intake level.

1- Use the formula

(using 1.3 multiplier, as I'm either sitting or sleeping 18+ hours/day)

LBM = 210 x 0.81 x 0.45 = 77kg
    BMR = 370 + 21.3 x LBM = 2013cal
    TDEE = BMR x 1.3 = 2617cal

2- Refer to past weight charts

This should be a more accurate method, as long as the average daily calories are known with reasonable accuracy. The only confounding factor is BMR raises with LBM, so will underestimate the more recent TDEE. Here's my weight chart for the duration of my bulk, with a nifty trendline added:

(guess when I got sick??)

The slope of the trendline gives the lb/day that I gained, so it's a simple process to find my true maintenance:

daily surplus = slope x 3500 cal/lb = 0.1041 x 3500 = 364 cal/day
    TDEE = consumption - surplus = 3000 - 364 = 2636cal

I'm actually surprised how close those came out. Based on this, I will initiate ketosis and maintain the first 2 weeks at 2600cal, then drop my target by 100cal per week until I achieve 1 lb/week weight loss.

Incidentally, assuming I was still 12% BF when I started the bulk, that means of the 30lbs I gained, it was in a 39:61 muscle:fat ratio.
    -> (210 x 0.19 - 180 x 0.12) / (210 - 180) = 0.61 fat

• Macros

Pretty simple targets: 65/30/5 f/p/c

Carbs: 2600 x 0.05 / 4 = 33g (total - fibre)
    Protein: 2600 x 0.30 / 4 = 195g
    Fat: 2600 x 0.65 / 9 = 188g
    Fibre: health reasons = 30g

• Resources

5-3-1 routine with "Triumvirate" accessory: http://www.jimwendler.com
    5-3-1 calculator & tracker: http://www.strstd.com/
    Food tracker: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
    Keto Guide: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132598293

• Timeline

March 1 - 14: 2 weeks R & R, no calorie tracking, eating up carbs in house (marshmallows + ice cream are a bad idea to have laying around for keto).
    March 15: Last night of carbs, begin fasting ~7pm.
    March 16: Shoveling snow + moderate weights + body-weight exercises, trying to deplete glycogen stores. Had about 5g net carbs.
    March 17: Another morning workout (yes, it snowed again). <10g carbs. St. Patrick's Day --> failed the test
    March 18: Day 1 of 5-3-1. Ketostix tested positive for ketones, so upped carbs to 30g. Ignoring the fact I had pizza and Guiness the night before.

pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pretend is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

I'll just put these here to get caught up:

Off to a good start... aside from those tasty snacks.

Failed the St. Patrick's Day test. Wasn't willing to explain my funky new diet to generous hosts, and turn down their offerings.

Kept the carbs lower to try making up for the night before.

Realizing salad bar is my best friend for daily lunches (amidst the standard food court offerings).

Everything lined up great, except the fibre levels are still low.

Odd how it's hard to hit macro targets when you drink alcohol! Well, without exceeding the calorie goal at least.

Registered Offender gabrielsyler's Avatar
    gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    following. enjoy the diet

Originally Posted by gabrielsyler View Post
    following. enjoy the diet
    Thanks man, it's going great so far! I can see why some people think this is some sort of miracle diet though... after losing about 8 lbs in the first 4 days. Sneaky glycogen stores, getting people's hopes up.

Now that I'm caught up...
    • March 22, 2013

It looks like breakfast and lunch are falling into a set routine. I may have to adjust the portions at breakfast, or find a 2nd meal to cut down the monotony that is sure to ensue. Salad bar for lunch is a bit of a toss-up (lul). Lots of ingredients to choose from, but you can only weigh the final salad (pay by weight), so every part is an eyeball estimate. Well, except the hardboiled eggs. I'm pretty confident it's exactly 2 of them (but are they medium??). I should probably cut back on the higher-fat ingredients, as I seem to be finding it hard to get in the protein by the end of the day.

Once the weather smartens up (say, above 0C in the evening), then I'll be firing up the BBQ most nights. Protein levels will be easy and tasty to reach. I've got a freezer full of meat just waiting!

My biggest concern so far is how hard it is to get up to 30g of fibre. Avocados seem to be the best source so far, but I can only eat so many a day! Nuts would be good, but the calories:fibre ratio is too high to eat a ton.

Here's a list I compiled of high-fibre vegetables, without too high of net carbs.

High-Fibre Vegetables:
    • Artichoke (marinated): 2g per 50g
    • Asparagus: 1.8g per 90g (1/2 cup)
    • Avocado: 2.2g per 73g (half)
    • Broccoli (raw): 2.3g per 88g (1 cup)
    • Brussels Sprouts: 6.4g per 78g (1/2 cup)
    • Carrots: 1.8g per 64g (1/2 cup)
    • Peas: 4.4g per 80g (1/2 cup)
    I may end up buying some Metamucil to give me a 10g boost or so. Anyone have any other tips for upping the fibre through food?

I don't think I've experienced any of the induction period side effects. I'm thinking clearly, and tired as usual in the morning (and at work when I'm not doing engaging tasks). OK, maybe a bit more sleepy throughout the day than previously, but that's hard to quantify and blame keto. If I suddenly become full of youthful vigor in a couple weeks, then I'll attribute it to keto!

Sleep seems about the same as normal, usually waking up one time then going back down until 7 or 8. Energy in the gym has been fine, and endurance too, considering I took 2 weeks off and was sick for the first one. Time will tell how I progress at it after my body's adjusted to the new routine and exercises.

Also, I haven't had any sugar/carb cravings, only thought longingly about the things I can't have. When I eventually do a carb-up, I'll have a list ready to make sure I get my fill. I think I'm supposed to wait 3 weeks since the onset, so a bit longer to go.

*edit*
    Forgot to mention, since the 50mL of whipping cream might look odd up there... I attempted to steam the cream mixed with equal parts water for a morning latte. It sort of worked, but never got very foamy. It was still quite tasty though!

Last edited by pretend; 03-22-2013 at 09:04 PM.

ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yo Pretend

About the macros, the pictures are too small, can't see them, seems like thumbnails pictures

Not to Hickjack your thread, but can you help me calculate my daily calorie intake too? I'm at 177lbs, and eating 2300 calories a day, based on your math, I think I'm at the same route
    Posted some questions on the forums and didn't get an definite answer on the matter, only that answer
    BULKING - Aug 20-2016 (74kg)-Jan 1, 2017 (85kg)
    (Aug 30, 2016-Jan 1, 2017:)Deadlift: 231-303 Squat: 214-263 Bench: 174-198 lbs OHP: 104.5-134 Pendlay Row: 115-154
    ---------------------------------------
    ☆★ Victory loves Preparation ★☆

Originally Posted by ghepardo View Post
    Yo Pretend

About the macros, the pictures are too small, can't see them, seems like thumbnails pictures

Not to Hickjack your thread, but can you help me calculate my daily calorie intake too? I'm at 177lbs, and eating 2300 calories a day, based on your math, I think I'm at the same route
    Posted some questions on the forums and didn't get an definite answer on the matter, only that answer
    Hey ghepardo! I don't know what to say about the images, I've tried 2 other browsers and they come up full-size. Are you on a mobile device maybe?

Sure I don't mind running some calculations:

I'll use 21% for your BF, seems to be most recent figure in your log.
    Also assuming same activity factor as mine... if you have a desk job and your only exercise is a few nights of weights in the gym, this is probably about right.

LBM = 177 x 0.79 x 0.45 = 63kg
    BMR = 370 + 21.3 x 63 = 1712cal
    TDEE = 1712 x 1.3 = 2226cal

1lb/week might be a bit aggressive at your weight (to maintain as much muscle as possible), as it amounts to ~22% deficit (500/2226). Let's go with 0.75lb/week (17%), for 375cal (3500*.75/7).

Cut: 1851cal (2226-375).

That done, it's probably a better idea to start out around your calculated TDEE (which you seem to be doing), monitoring your weight, and adjust from there as needed, since the activity factor guess is always going to be off.

For 2226cal diet, macros at 65/30/5:

Fat: 161g (2226*0.65/9)
    Protein: 167g (2226*0.3/4)
    Carbs: 28g (2226*0.05/4)

Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Nice!

I'm going to stick arround and pretend to give good advice on occasion.

Cheers
    Eddie Izzard for Mayor!!!!

lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't do keto, Pretend, but wanted to give my support on your cutting goals. Good luck - you got this!

Originally Posted by lovingit View Post
    I don't do keto, Pretend, but wanted to give my support on your cutting goals. Good luck - you got this!
    Thanks for the support! (on rc)

• March 23, 2013

Weekends I tend to gravitate towards 2 meals, as I'm too lazy for 3. It started out with some "bullet-proof" coffee:
    • ~2.5 cups of french press coffee
    • 2 tbsp butter
    • 2 tsp coconut oil
    I'll try upping it to 1 tbsp of coconut oil tomorrow. I think my body's adjusted to it now... my first time I put a lot in and suffered for it!

Followed up with my first attempt at a keto pizza.
    • 1lb ground beef
    • 8 eggs
    • 100g cheddar cheese
    • mushrooms, spinach, garlic

Ate half of it. Was good, but decidedly un-pizza-like. If I can get my act together, I'll try out the cauliflower crust recipe and do a proper job of it.

Supper was a bit of a scramble to get enough protein. Figured I had enough carb-room to have a scoop of protein powder. Things on the left are just 1tbsp of peanut butter rolled around in shredded coconut. So good!

Totals:

Since I can't make a "net carb" target with MyFitnessPal, the carb total should always be over. In theory, equal to my fibre intake. I also used up the last of my liquor, so there shouldn't be any more empty calories... until I buy more Notice the 19g of fat remaining add up to 171 calories, equal to those from the scotch. Almost like I planned it!

Registered Offender gabrielsyler's Avatar
    gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gabrielsyler is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by pretend View Post

Anyone have any other tips for upping the fibre through food?
    I used to mix Linseed Meal (flaxseed) in with my protein shakes, it's pretty thick and since it doesnt disolve you'll want a lot of water to get it down your throat
    100g = 6g carb and 27g fibre (as well as 20g protein and 34g fat) its not cheap ($45AUD for 500g)

I also found these to be a saviour

after several weeks of no sugar and high protein foods, this really hits the spot (and has plenty of fibre in!) I researched about the other chemical additatives in them, and whilst there are plenty of debates about whether they're good or bad for you, generally the consensus was that they are not bad for the keto diet. They also come in soooo many different flavours!! I used to have one a day to help with the fibre intake.

Originally Posted by gabrielsyler View Post
    I used to mix Linseed Meal (flaxseed) in with my protein shakes, it's pretty thick and since it doesnt disolve you'll want a lot of water to get it down your throat
    100g = 6g carb and 27g fibre (as well as 20g protein and 34g fat) its not cheap ($45AUD for 500g)

I also found these to be a saviour

after several weeks of no sugar and high protein foods, this really hits the spot (and has plenty of fibre in!) I researched about the other chemical additatives in them, and whilst there are plenty of debates about whether they're good or bad for you, generally the consensus was that they are not bad for the keto diet. They also come in soooo many different flavours!! I used to have one a day to help with the fibre intake.
    Thanks for the tip. Does seem a bit pricy though, versus straight fibre supplements (Metamucil). About 3g/$ vs 30g/$! I do love the dark chocolate, so I'll have to keep my eye out for some sugar-free bars to indulge in

Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Nice log you making here!
    I got a question for you, you said you measured you bf% with caliper and electrode, do they always give you the same number?
    Just wondering because i'm wondering about my own bf% the machine gives me ( scale iwth electrode).

Originally Posted by Vivvid View Post
    Nice log you making here!
    I got a question for you, you said you measured you bf% with caliper and electrode, do they always give you the same number?
    Just wondering because i'm wondering about my own bf% the machine gives me ( scale iwth electrode).
    Hi, thanks for stopping by! Neither of those tools are exact (maybe +/-2%, not sure), so won't necessarily be the same. I take it as a coincidence they were actually the same, but confirmation that they were close to each other. I only had the electrode thing because there happened to be a health checkup thing at work. There probably weren't too many that could tell the nurse their weight within 1lb and body fat within 1%!

Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vivvid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi, thanks for stopping by! Neither of those tools are exact (maybe +/-2%, not sure), so won't necessarily be the same. I take it as a coincidence they were actually the same, but confirmation that they were close to each other. I only had the electrode thing because there happened to be a health checkup thing at work. There probably weren't too many that could tell the nurse their weight within 1lb and body fat within 1%!
    Ye exactly, but if they did so lets say i take some extra salt and drink more water that day the output would be completely different when you are measuring with the electrode.
    Was just wondering because i've seen quite a lot of pics of people at xx%, and i really have doubts that im actually the 23% it says.

Anyways been wondering this myself so wanted to ask this to someone who's been there.
    Once you've lost the initial weight and lets say you get to 20% bf, was this the time for you when except watching numbers drop on the scale also saw results in the mirror?

Originally Posted by Vivvid View Post
    Ye exactly, but if they did so lets say i take some extra salt and drink more water that day the output would be completely different when you are measuring with the electrode.
    Was just wondering because i've seen quite a lot of pics of people at xx%, and i really have doubts that im actually the 23% it says.

Anyways been wondering this myself so wanted to ask this to someone who's been there.
    Once you've lost the initial weight and lets say you get to 20% bf, was this the time for you when except watching numbers drop on the scale also saw results in the mirror?
    Here's a rough visual guide for body fat levels:

I don't think I've ever been over 20%, but last cut I noticed the biggest difference when I started getting under 15%. Stomach flattens out, abs start to appear without flexing, some extra room in pants. Changes happen so slowly though that it really helps to take progress pictures to refer back to.

Thanks! Think its somehow about accurateto +-2% like you said.
    Btw the diff you start to see between 20-25 and20-15 are huge!

• March 24, 2013

Pork loin roast, ~2lbs. Came out great, but ate too much of it! Marinated in soy sauce, lemon-pepper, garlic, olive oil and oregano.

Totals:

Overshot a bit with the 2 big items, and fibre is super weak. BMs should be more often than 2-3 days apart, and I'm already paying for the low intake... Going shopping tomorrow after the gym, so will see what I can find there to help out.

ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey ghepardo! I don't know what to say about the images, I've tried 2 other browsers and they come up full-size. Are you on a mobile device maybe?

Sure I don't mind running some calculations:

I'll use 21% for your BF, seems to be most recent figure in your log.
    Also assuming same activity factor as mine... if you have a desk job and your only exercise is a few nights of weights in the gym, this is probably about right.

LBM = 177 x 0.79 x 0.45 = 63kg
    BMR = 370 + 21.3 x 63 = 1712cal
    TDEE = 1712 x 1.3 = 2226cal

1lb/week might be a bit aggressive at your weight (to maintain as much muscle as possible), as it amounts to ~22% deficit (500/2226). Let's go with 0.75lb/week (17%), for 375cal (3500*.75/7).

Cut: 1851cal (2226-375).

That done, it's probably a better idea to start out around your calculated TDEE (which you seem to be doing), monitoring your weight, and adjust from there as needed, since the activity factor guess is always going to be off.

For 2226cal diet, macros at 65/30/5:

Fat: 161g (2226*0.65/9)
    Protein: 167g (2226*0.3/4)
    Carbs: 28g (2226*0.05/4)
    Hey, thanks for the math, wow... I was almost certain that all the online calculators were bad, so I have more room to cut more calories? I'm using 23xx and still losing muscle and fat.... unless I'm counting everything bad... which I doubt so, I am very afraid to drop my calories more, but well... I'm almost doing 70%27% 3%... and at 2300!
    BULKING - Aug 20-2016 (74kg)-Jan 1, 2017 (85kg)
    (Aug 30, 2016-Jan 1, 2017:)Deadlift: 231-303 Squat: 214-263 Bench: 174-198 lbs OHP: 104.5-134 Pendlay Row: 115-154
    ☆★ Victory loves Preparation ★☆

Registered User YesiEvenLiftBro's Avatar
    YesiEvenLiftBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) YesiEvenLiftBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) YesiEvenLiftBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) YesiEvenLiftBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) YesiEvenLiftBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) YesiEvenLiftBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) YesiEvenLiftBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) YesiEvenLiftBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) YesiEvenLiftBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) YesiEvenLiftBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) YesiEvenLiftBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    in for the ride on your log bro, your pics are making me hungry (especially the pork loin)

Originally Posted by ghepardo View Post
    Hey, thanks for the math, wow... I was almost certain that all the online calculators were bad, so I have more room to cut more calories? I'm using 23xx and still losing muscle and fat.... unless I'm counting everything bad... which I doubt so, I am very afraid to drop my calories more, but well... I'm almost doing 70%27% 3%... and at 2300!
    If you're taking in 2300 and losing muscle + fat, that might be at too low a deficit already, so probably no need to drop more. The 1.3 activity factor I guessed at can make a big difference in the result, so you really should only use it as a starting point, then monitor your weight over a week or 2. If you're losing 0.5-1lb per week, that's a good amount to be eating.

Originally Posted by YesiEvenLiftBro View Post
    in for the ride on your log bro, your pics are making me hungry (especially the pork loin)
    Thanks man! Juicy pork loin was on sale at Costco... 4kg pieces. It was just massive, so cut it into reasonable roasts and froze them up.

• March 25, 2013

Lunch was solid. Edo double beef, double veg, no rice, no sauce (just the hawt sawce). Sorry no pics, but it was a very generous double!

Here's dinner. Ants on a log? Forget that, this is Canada! Snowy Logs for me The coconut went quite well there. And hey, these pics make it look like I actually eat at my kitchen table, haha.

Totals, mirin dem fibras:

Unfortunately the convenient grocery store by my gym has crap for selection, so didn't see anything usable to boost fibre aside from celery. I was going to get some unsweetened almond milk, but they only have sweetened. Plus about 12 varieties of soy milk.

I did notice a mild headache come on in the afternoon, and is still there tonight. It never got worse, even when squatting and doing high-rep leg work, which was nice compared with the migraines I sometimes get. The slightest rise in blood pressure becomes agony with those. I have no idea if this was due to the keto, not enough sleep, tension, or what. If it was dehydration, I would have expected it to ease off after the gym, since I drink plenty there.

I've also noticed I seem to sweat a lot more while working out now, like dripping off my nose by the time I'm done squats. I always break a sweat, but things have stepped up. Is that a side-effect of keto?

MyFitnessPal also got all screwy on me from starting to log my dinner out of cell reception (underground train on way home). When I finished logging it after eating, it all looked right on the mobile app, and but it had synced supper + snack into yesterday's log! Luckily I just had to "edit" each food item, then "save" right away for it to refresh the right day. Grrrr. Only thing this has going for it is the food DB.

Timbarism is on a distinguished road. (+10) Timbarism is on a distinguished road. (+10) Timbarism is on a distinguished road. (+10) Timbarism is on a distinguished road. (+10) Timbarism is on a distinguished road. (+10) Timbarism is on a distinguished road. (+10) Timbarism is on a distinguished road. (+10) Timbarism is on a distinguished road. (+10) Timbarism is on a distinguished road. (+10) Timbarism is on a distinguished road. (+10) Timbarism is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey man, great log Subbed for progress

Curious, how do you cook your keto pizza? Macros look pretty good so im interested. Is it more quiche-y?
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

2013 Transformation Challenge Aus Brah checking in - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150947503

Originally Posted by Timbarism View Post
    Hey man, great log Subbed for progress

Curious, how do you cook your keto pizza? Macros look pretty good so im interested. Is it more quiche-y?
    It was pretty improvised. If you're looking at the macros, I have to tell you those are actually for 12 eggs not 8, since MFP wouldn't let me change the recipe after I mixed it up, so ~140cal, 9g fat, 12g protein less for each half-pizza. I only happened to notice it later. 12 would have been too many. I'd use more cheese if doing it again.

And yes, it was more of a quiche than a pizza, since the egg seeped into the rest. I had to eat it with a fork. Maybe a larger pan with less egg would have given a thinner layer and turned out more on the pizza end. It's fun to experiment anyways

Process went something like:

- Preheat oven (400F I think?)
    - Scramble eggs + cream + oregano into a stainless steel pan, and put it in the oven
    - Cook ground beef on stove top
    - Chop up all the veggies and grate cheese
    - Let eggs cook until baked 0.5 to 1 inch around pan edge (center was still liquid)
    - Take eggs out, add beef, veggies, top with cheese
    - Put back in to bake until eggs done cooking (I may have lowered the temp a bit, but it took a while)
    - Broil at 400F+ to brown the cheese

Keepin' It Kingdom (KIK) jcpryor3's Avatar
    jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What up Pretend! Just wanted to stop by and let you know that I'll be following your log. Looking forward to seeing your progress. It seems we're both doing 5/3/1/. I'm on BBB though. How you likin' the triumvirate?
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not unto your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Starting Stats: 206lbs@19%, LBM@193.4lbs <---------- LBM inaccurate
    Current Stats: 177.8lbs@11.5%, LBM@157.7lbs

God is first, I am second
    Set goals, take action, then achieve
    Keto Lifestyle

2012 BB.com Transformation Challenge Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150883123

Originally Posted by jcpryor3 View Post
    What up Pretend! Just wanted to stop by and let you know that I'll be following your log. Looking forward to seeing your progress. It seems we're both doing 5/3/1/. I'm on BBB though. How you likin' the triumvirate?
    Hey man! I just finished my first 4 days of it tonight! I think it's going to go really well. I don't think I could handle that much of the same thing for BBB, so this gives me a bit more variety. Quick and focused workouts either way! How long have you been on 5/3/1 for?

jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpryor3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey man! I just finished my first 4 days of it tonight! I think it's going to go really well. I don't think I could handle that much of the same thing for BBB, so this gives me a bit more variety. Quick and focused workouts either way! How long have you been on 5/3/1 for?
    Nice! You have a few days on me lol today will be my second day of BBB. First day went well. Felt great and got a good workout in. Glad your liking it so far though. I was tempted to do the North of Vag accessory protocol, but decided for this one. I might switch after a while. The only difference in the two is the warm-up work before working out and the added cardio. Other than that, it's pretty much the same.
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not unto your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Keto Lifestyle

• March 26, 2013

About the same as yesterday. Total calories reads high, probably from it not subtracting the fibre from carbs.

No headeaches today, so that's good. I did read that a lot of people seem to sweat more profusely while on keto, possibly due to not having the glycogen stores holding onto it. I'll just have to bring a towel!

Tragically, I used the last tablespoon of peanut butter tonight. I hope I can find some Kraft Natural soon... only natural one I've tried that I like, and I don't want all that extra crap in my PB!

• March 27, 2013

Officially unemployed now! For 4 whole days Then on to a new job, programming for a bank instead of a consulting company. Changing jobs is kind of scary, but it was time to move on. Plus a huge pay jump is always nice (baller status).

Here's the Edo double beef:

And to celebrate unemployment:

Hit the calories pretty good. I'll try not to have a second glass.

Well my alcohol tolerance does seem diminished. One serving and I'm very relaxed. Should help make this bottle last!

• March 27, 2013

Officially unemployed now! For 4 whole days Then on to a new job, programming for a bank instead of a consulting company. Changing jobs is kind of scary, but it was time to move on. Plus a huge pay jump is always nice (baller status).

Here's the Edo double beef:

And to celebrate unemployment:

Hit the calories pretty good. I'll try not to have a second glass.

Well my alcohol tolerance does seem diminished. One serving and I'm very relaxed. Should help make this bottle last!
    You know how to keto! lol so much variety, it's crazy! I eat freakin eggs, bacon and chicken breast every day....boring, but it works for me.

Keto Lifestyle