The Littlest Heavyweight K Killer C's Avatar
    K Killer C is on a distinguished road. (+10) K Killer C is on a distinguished road. (+10) K Killer C is on a distinguished road. (+10) K Killer C is on a distinguished road. (+10) K Killer C is on a distinguished road. (+10) K Killer C is on a distinguished road. (+10) K Killer C is on a distinguished road. (+10) K Killer C is on a distinguished road. (+10) K Killer C is on a distinguished road. (+10) K Killer C is on a distinguished road. (+10) K Killer C is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Hack Squat vs Leg Press

What is better for building the quads, Hack squat or leg press of should I just do both? Also for hack squats shuld I use a machine or use the bb? And tips on how to improve my leg work out?

My Leg Work out right now:

Squats(3x8)
    Hack Squats(3x8)
    Leg Extensions(3x8)
    Stiff Legged Deadlifts(3x8)
    Leg Curls(3x8)
    Standing Calf Raises(3x20)
    Seated Calf Raises(3x20)
    Your best?

Losers always whine about their best...

Winners go home and f*ck the prom queen.

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i'd replace hack squats w/ front squatting. way better for development and easier on the knees
    Booo

timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timbo81 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I do leg press, calf raises on a machine and leg extensions, and leg curls.

I prefer leg press cause I can focus more on overloading it than focusing on my form when I do squats.

Location: Walsall, West Midlands, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by timbo81
    I do leg press, calf raises on a machine and leg extensions, and leg curls.

I prefer leg press cause I can focus more on overloading it than focusing on my form when I do squats.
    wudnt u rather have good form?!?! and r u saying leg press is better than squats?!?!

JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by timbo81
    That's a good observation that many people lose sight of when talking about leg training.

Ove the years I have met many people who have never developed great legs because they struggled so much with form on the squat. Barring the Olympic lifts, squating is the most technical lift around, and many people struggle with their form and never really get to a point were they are hitting the legs hard.

My suggestion is to train both the squat and leg press. Eventually you will get to a point were you can train with the squat and hit your legs as hard as with the leg press, but until then do both. Use the squat for overall development, and to train your form, and use the leg press for quad size.

Although I do squat, I attribute much of my leg development to heavy, heavy leg presses.
    "Pain is a state of MIND -
    - Mass is a state of BEING"
    This one is my own.

Ashford has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ashford has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ashford has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ashford has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ashford has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ashford has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ashford has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ashford has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ashford has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ashford has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ashford has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    bump that

I do both squats and leg press. They go well together and once you get it right they destroy your legs. Right now I do squats 4x5 followed by 4x5 of leg press.

The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i squat, then do supersets of leg ext. followed by leg presses, with my feet together and slightly lower than normal to involve less glute help and stress my quads
    I will not give up. I will not stop.

I may move to a new state, but that won't stop me. I may have to start over, but that won't stop me. You will see me someday, under the lights, in the magazines, taking home the trophy. It will happen, and if you're not here to give support then get the hell out of my way - I will not stop for you.

New Year, New Job, Livin in the Same Ol' Town... just with a Lot More $$$ rollin in...

Lateral Raise Promoter RippedGuitarist's Avatar
    RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10) RippedGuitarist is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think Leg Presses are better. Nothing can beat Squats IMO, but I think Leg Presses take a close 2nd.

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)

Lightbulb Legs

Tips I have on improving your leg routine:

Alternate between squats, leg presses and hack squats( on a machine). Do 2 of the 3 each work out, switching the exercises and the order. This variety will keep the body from adapting to one routine plus will be more mentally stimulating for you. One caution: I find hacks first to be tough on the knees, so warm up first with leg extensions and take it very easy on the first set of hacks if you do these first.

Switch up on rep schemes, again to fight the adaption factor. 20 rep squats can really put in the burn and if you doing enough weight that the last 3-4 reps are challenging, these can help put on size too. I alternate between 15 reps, 12 reps and 10, with 20s thrown in occasionally. My legs are big enough, so 6-8 heavy reps are counterproductive for me.

Front squats don't build. They refine what you have. They're fine if you already have good development.

Note on the leg press. Go heavy, but make sure you are doing full range presses. Too many guys in my gym load up 8, 10, 15 plates on each side and then do reps that are so short they look like calf raises.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

Location: Walsall, West Midlands, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Re: Legs

Originally posted by egoatdoor

Front squats don't build. They refine what you have. They're fine if you already have good development.

what do u mean by this?

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Re: Legs

Originally posted by egoatdoor
    Tips I have on improving your leg routine:

Alternate between squats, leg presses and hack squats( on a machine). Do 2 of the 3 each work out, switching the exercises and the order. This variety will keep the body from adapting to one routine plus will be more mentally stimulating for you. One caution: I find hacks first to be tough on the knees, so warm up first with leg extensions and take it very easy on the first set of hacks if you do these first.

how can you put hack squats and leg presses in the same category as squatting? they don't really begin to come close.

also, i too am curious about 'front squats don't build'. i've been front squatting for over a year now and definately feel that 'they build' and are a good addition to regular squatting
    Booo