ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Just started powerlifting.

I just started Powerlifting 2 months ago, and I competed in 1 meet. The problem is, i'm in the 275lb weight class, and i'm pretty weak, only able to bench about 210, squat 250 and Deadlift 405. I don't know if I should try to lose weight, maintain and have my body comp change over time, or bulk. Any ideas?

BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Lose weight
    1st Strongman Competition May 3rd, 2014

LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Age? Height? ... Judging by your lifts I'm going to assume that your weight isn't from a large amount of muscle mass. So I'm going to give you a few things to consider.

A.) Get somebody to train you with your form. If you're DLing 400+ and Squatting < 300... there maybe something going on there.
    B.) I'd cut some weight, Powerlifting isn't a "fat man's" sport. It has a reputation of being that, but most PLers are around 10-15% bf.
    C.) Read every sticky on the top of this board.
    D.) Start the "Starting Strength" program immediately, clean up your diet, do cardio.. and work hard.

ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) ImCodyLove is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BigJon55 View Post
    Lose weight
    Should I do it quickly or slowly?

Originally Posted by LiftingTexas View Post
    Age? Height? ... Judging by your lifts I'm going to assume that your weight isn't from a large amount of muscle mass. So I'm going to give you a few things to consider.

A.) Get somebody to train you with your form. If you're DLing 400+ and Squatting < 300... there maybe something going on there.
    B.) I'd cut some weight, Powerlifting isn't a "fat man's" sport. It has a reputation of being that, but most PLers are around 10-15% bf.
    C.) Read every sticky on the top of this board.
    D.) Start the "Starting Strength" program immediately, clean up your diet, do cardio.. and work hard.
    What Bodyfat should I get down to? Thanks.

LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiftingTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ImCodyLove View Post
    You should do it slowly ~3 lbs a week... and get to whatever you want to get to... but being 275 with those numbers, I can see your probably not living the healthiest lifestyle currently.

and2celtics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) and2celtics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had the same question. I was wondering if I should cut weight or gain weight?
    Train Insane or Remain the Same!!!

Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 198lbs

Raw
    Bench: 275lbs
    Squat: 405lbs
    Deadlift:515lbs

Single Ply
    Bench: 308lbs
    Squat: 508lbs
    Deadlift: 545lbs

Originally Posted by and2celtics View Post
    I had the same question. I was wondering if I should cut weight or gain weight?
    Whatever you want to do. You're sitting at 169? I can't imagine a time in which a male is at 169 lbs and not competing in some sort of bodybuilding or physique competition would want to lose weight. If I were you... I'd eat at slightly higher than maintenance and do a slow ass bulk up to 181, while simultaneously running a linear progression program ( I recommend SS, as it works for me really really well, and has for a long time.) And when you hit 181 go and compete! By then you should be stronger than hell, given your current lifts.

and2celtics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) and2celtics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Whatever you want to do. You're sitting at 169? I can't imagine a time in which a male is at 169 lbs and not competing in some sort of bodybuilding or physique competition would want to lose weight. If I were you... I'd eat at slightly higher than maintenance and do a slow ass bulk up to 181, while simultaneously running a linear progression program ( I recommend SS, as it works for me really really well, and has for a long time.) And when you hit 181 go and compete! By then you should be stronger than hell, given your current lifts.
    How many pounds a weeks should I look to gain. 2lbs?

Raw

Single Ply

How many pounds a weeks should I look to gain. 2lbs?
    Sounds about right.. just eat a clean diet

ShaunB61 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShaunB61 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShaunB61 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShaunB61 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShaunB61 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShaunB61 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShaunB61 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShaunB61 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShaunB61 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShaunB61 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShaunB61 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Keep dropping till you can see outline of abs or strength starts to drop, which will probably coincide with each other. Just my opinion though

cfcblue is not very well liked. (-100) cfcblue is not very well liked. (-100) cfcblue is not very well liked. (-100) cfcblue is not very well liked. (-100) cfcblue is not very well liked. (-100) cfcblue is not very well liked. (-100) cfcblue is not very well liked. (-100) cfcblue is not very well liked. (-100) cfcblue is not very well liked. (-100) cfcblue is not very well liked. (-100) cfcblue is not very well liked. (-100)
    I just started Powerlifting 2 months ago, and I competed in 1 meet. The problem is, i'm in the 275lb weight class, and i'm pretty weak, only able to bench about 210, squat 250 and Deadlift 405. I don't know if I should try to lose weight, maintain and have my body comp change over time, or bulk. Any ideas?
    how long have u been lifting weights? have u done any beginner program like SS? compared to ur BW, those numbers are really low. u should rather do a beginner program.
    btw, a competition experience is a gr8 thing to have. now u should do starting strength, eat in the way it's mentioned.

Sounds about right.. just eat a clean diet
    Should i avoid cardio or can i still do it in order to keep some fat off.

Raw

Single Ply

sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    definitely lose the weight. When I started last May I weighed 272 and my lifts were worse than yours. squat was probably 235, bench 225, and deadlift was at 280. With the noob gains you're lifts are going to go up. You'll get stronger. Depending on where you want to weigh or what your goals are, you will hit a point where you'll have to choose between loosing more weight or making faster gains. At that point, get your diet goals in order, then go after the strength gains. Really though, the only lift that I've taken a hit in was the bench. I had worked it up to around 250 when I was weighing 250, but it has gone down some since then. I'm 215 now. My squat and deadlift have continued to go up but just a little slower than in the beginning. That could be from working through noob gains and/or being on a diet. Either way I'm looking to compete in July in my first meet at 198. Once I get my weight and bodyfat in check, I'll focus mainly on strength. My lifts today are 330/235/375.

The biggest thing for me has been the quality of life change. I can keep up with my kid. I don't have to have a cpap, and blood pressure has gone down. Getting into the gym was a health thing for me(close to life and death situation) and powerlifting has kept it fun by giving me goals to shoot for. (ie 1000lbs at 198) I know it's not much, but it's a start and big step for someone who was so fat last year I had to prop my foot up on a chair just to reach my shoe to tie it.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Should i avoid cardio or can i still do it in order to keep some fat off.
    You can, but if you have a difficult time putting on muscle, careful diet manipulation might serve you better. Basically if you kept your fat where it is now and gained 10-20 lbs of muscle you probably wouldn't be worried about the little extra fat anymore.

Originally Posted by sopirate55 View Post
    definitely lose the weight. When I started last May I weighed 272 and my lifts were worse than yours. squat was probably 235, bench 225, and deadlift was at 280. With the noob gains you're lifts are going to go up. You'll get stronger. Depending on where you want to weigh or what your goals are, you will hit a point where you'll have to choose between loosing more weight or making faster gains. At that point, get your diet goals in order, then go after the strength gains. Really though, the only lift that I've taken a hit in was the bench. I had worked it up to around 250 when I was weighing 250, but it has gone down some since then. I'm 215 now. My squat and deadlift have continued to go up but just a little slower than in the beginning. That could be from working through noob gains and/or being on a diet. Either way I'm looking to compete in July in my first meet at 198. Once I get my weight and bodyfat in check, I'll focus mainly on strength. My lifts today are 330/235/375.

The biggest thing for me has been the quality of life change. I can keep up with my kid. I don't have to have a cpap, and blood pressure has gone down. Getting into the gym was a health thing for me(close to life and death situation) and powerlifting has kept it fun by giving me goals to shoot for. (ie 1000lbs at 198) I know it's not much, but it's a start and big step for someone who was so fat last year I had to prop my foot up on a chair just to reach my shoe to tie it.
    I want to hit the 1000lb club also. I am currently at 875lbs. Still have quite a bit to go.

Raw

Single Ply