Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Road to 40 inch standing vertical (cutting phase)

Alright, so I've pretty much been on almost a year long bulk/maintenance. I wanted to cut earlier, but never got into a strict routine where i could cut efficiently. But now is definitely time for me to cut. I may try out for college bball next year or may not, but nevertheless bball and vertical/speed training is a goal/hobby.

previous journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...0403513&page=1

Current stats--

178 lb, 22% BF!

Standing vertical-27in

Squat full (paused) 1RM-315-330

Goals for next August --

full squat 365 @ 160 lb

Diet--

Will try to eat as clean as possible, meaning a lot less fast food and easy meals. It's going to be time consuming, but we could all manage our time a lot better.

Maintenance for me is around 2500 kcal a day, so i will be eating at around 1900-2000 each day, getting 140-200g protein.

This journal will hold me accountable to eating healthy and living with discipline. Also feel free to give me advice on diet and making gains on a cut, also feel free to ask me any questions regarding bball, jump training, and speed.
    Last edited by hyperdunk1; 03-18-2013 at 09:04 PM.

NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    you grabbing rim? your strength at the weight - you must be flying

Depth Jumps!!! watch out though. Depth jumps take a lot out of your cns. try and take 2 days in between

you know i'm following.
    Shut up and Squat!

Living with ALS or dying because of it. ama

hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hyperdunk1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by NJLife View Post
    you grabbing rim? your strength at the weight - you must be flying

Depth Jumps!!! watch out though. Depth jumps take a lot out of your cns. try and take 2 days in between

you know i'm following.
    Nope, i need 30-31 in standing vertical to grab rim with shoes. Maybe on a good day i can grab rim from a run up. I dunno, but according to the vertical jump calculator, it says i should have a 30inch standing vertical based on my strength levels. maybe i have bad mechanics or physique?

do you think intense cardio such as competitive basketball is bad for CNS?

NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NJLife is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    got a vid of your 3 step run up? standing reach? how much jumping are you doing ??

intense cardio would probably effect strength gains. but then you got the benefits from being fit. once a week might not hurt too much tho. but if your goal is strength and explosiveness, I can't see how training them for endurance will help that

but do it if you enjoy it.
    Shut up and Squat!

got a vid of your 3 step run up? standing reach? how much jumping are you doing ??

intense cardio would probably effect strength gains. but then you got the benefits from being fit. once a week might not hurt too much tho. but if your goal is strength and explosiveness, I can't see how training them for endurance will help that

but do it if you enjoy it.
    Yeah for sure, i think a calorie deficit plus 2-3 intense cardio sessions per week makes gaining strength impossible right now.

3/20 PM

Squat full

warm up [10 x bar] [8 x 135] [8 x 185]

[8 x 225] [8 x 265] <---form solid, but very tough ascent last few reps [3 x 265] [5 x 225] <---7-8 sec descent

1/3 squats [5 x 335]

*overall workout was bad, did not eat well lately, especially yesterday. bball training yesterday took a lot of energy out of me and loss of muscle. planned on doing 8 x 265 x 3, only completed 1 set, lol.

BW- 176

Diet-- 100g protein... 1000 kcals so far.

supplement -- 2 scoops C4

RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RearDeltoids is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    sup, training to try to dunk too. you do high bar or low bar btw? i'm doing high bar right now, but not sure if i should switch to low bar, seeing as it can help out posterior chain more

Originally Posted by RearDeltoids View Post
    sup, training to try to dunk too. you do high bar or low bar btw? i'm doing high bar right now, but not sure if i should switch to low bar, seeing as it can help out posterior chain more
    I do high bar. Low bar is kind of like powerlifting type. High bar is tougher, and imo helps out posterior chain more than low bar. it forces you to tighten your core more.

3/21

no time to train today.

diet-- 130g protein, 1750 kcals total.

3/22 AM

bball for 2 hrs, took 3 servings no xplode plus extra beta alanine, testo rex, and daspartic acid.

squat full 20 min after bball

10 x bar, 5 x 135, 5 x 225, 5 x 275, 3 x 295, 2 x 315 ersonal-record: solid form, ascent of 2nd rep was very slow, but form did not compromise.
    5 x 275

face pulls 10 x 58 x 3

skipped rows b/c back cramp

abs raises x 20

bw 178 after drinking 32 oz fluid

*very surprised i got 2 x 315, after eating at deficit last 3 days and already played 1.5 hrs intense bball. maybe it was all the stimulants and supplements.

diet-- 220g protein, 200g carb, 40g fat... 1900 kcal

where you go bro!?

get dat rim touch vid yet?
    Shut up and Squat!

where you go bro!?

get dat rim touch vid yet?
    Got lazy with journaling. Actually am continuing my bulk until April 6th, because I am joining the BSN summer shred challenge. I mean, might as well since I am cutting anyway.

No sir no sir, I def won't be having a rim touch vid any time soon, my BW has ballooned up to 186, but my squat is around 340 now. It probably was at 335 before but I always maxed out at the end when i was tired. I max out after warming up and hit 335 and 345 (but i had a spotter) so who knows.

4/2 PM

Squat full

[10 x bar] [10 x 135] [10 x 185] [12 x 225]

[5 x 275] hard

[1 x 295] hard

[1 x 315] hard

[1 x 315] hard

*probably one of the worst workouts in awhile. felt like crap on every lift, the 315s felt like 400. dehydrated and overweight.

BW - 187

4/3 AM

Squat full

10 x bar, 5 x 135, 8 x 185, 5 x 225

10 x 275 PR, should have just went all out and did 2 more, form got shakey on 10, but should have sucked it up and did 2 more since i am taking 1-2 days off anyway.

1/3 squat

5 x 315, 5 x 355

calf raises

BW 185...

Definitely need to start cutting now, i've been saying that for months and haven't acted on it. Also need to increase my upper press strength. my bench press has been suffering all last year due to shoulder problem.

jellypumping has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jellypumping has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jellypumping has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jellypumping has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jellypumping has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jellypumping has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jellypumping has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    good luck bro

JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JMAG90 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    A) Are you really 5'8?

B) You're standing vertical should probably be higher. I squat ~300 ATG and weight just over 200. My standing vert (no step) is 31 in or so, but I'm also around 11% bf (e.g. maybe I have a higher % of fast twitch).

Tips that have helped me are:

- Drop as quickly as you can into the jump position to get more rebound. This is what I think about on every jump.
    - When doing a one or two step jump, think about pushing off hard with your first then your second foot instead of both at the same time.

C) Careful not to cut too fast. Dropping 20 lbs is great unless it causes you to drop 30lbs on your squat.

Good luck, 40 in standing is a hell of a goal.
    Watchout your neg comments princess

Originally Posted by JMAG90 View Post
    A) Are you really 5'8?

B) You're standing vertical should probably be higher. I squat ~300 ATG and weight just over 200. My standing vert (no step) is 31 in or so, but I'm also around 11% bf (e.g. maybe I have a higher % of fast twitch).

Tips that have helped me are:

- Drop as quickly as you can into the jump position to get more rebound. This is what I think about on every jump.
    - When doing a one or two step jump, think about pushing off hard with your first then your second foot instead of both at the same time.

C) Careful not to cut too fast. Dropping 20 lbs is great unless it causes you to drop 30lbs on your squat.

Good luck, 40 in standing is a hell of a goal.
    Yeah, i probably have bad fast twitch or i have too much BF/mass, but that doesn't matter that much i dont think. Maybe if i cut a lil bit and do some plyos that will help me develop my fast twitch. Also, i think shorter ppl squat easier but it doesn't correlate to vertical as good as taller ppl who have more length to propel themselves up... so it might be body structure thing too.

jelly- thanks.

4/4

lots of rows and pulls.

BW 183.. dropped 3 lb instantly b/c i couldn't eat anymore, just could not eat that many kcals a day.

going to just eat clean now and eat around maintenance for awhile before i hit deficit.

Originally Posted by hyperdunk1 View Post
    Yeah, i probably have bad fast twitch or i have too much BF/mass, but that doesn't matter that much i dont think. Maybe if i cut a lil bit and do some plyos that will help me develop my fast twitch. Also, i think shorter ppl squat easier but it doesn't correlate to vertical as good as taller ppl who have more length to propel themselves up... so it might be body structure thing too.

jelly- thanks.

4/4

lots of rows and pulls.

BW 183.. dropped 3 lb instantly b/c i couldn't eat anymore, just could not eat that many kcals a day.

going to just eat clean now and eat around maintenance for awhile before i hit deficit.
    heavy lifting will hit the fast twitch muscles so once you get them strong as phuck you do, str8 from wiki -" Plyometrics, also known as "jump training" or "plyos", are exercises based around having muscles exert maximum force in as short a time as possible, with the goal of increasing both speed and power. This training focuses on learning to move from a muscle extension to a contraction in a rapid or "explosive" way"
    Shut up and Squat!

heavy lifting will hit the fast twitch muscles so once you get them strong as phuck you do, str8 from wiki -" Plyometrics, also known as "jump training" or "plyos", are exercises based around having muscles exert maximum force in as short a time as possible, with the goal of increasing both speed and power. This training focuses on learning to move from a muscle extension to a contraction in a rapid or "explosive" way"
    i'm trying to find a good routine for strength now, plyos still in the future imo... i've yet to train plyos for an entire year. I was told before to pretty much try and do 4 sets of 8-10 reps first and then do heavier and less reps. I think i can do 8 x 275 x 4 on a really good day. so now I don't know what kind of routine i should do. I could just do 1-3 rep routines and always be in the 300-340 range, but that won't help me make great gains. if i am looking to really hit a 40 standing vertical, i might want to keep doing 6-10 rep sets so i can hit the 400s at like 160ish one day.

I'm doing smolov right now. You might want the to check that out. It's not meant for beginners and it's intense as phuck but I'm loving it. The strength gains are amazing.

I started the program with a 360 squat and I think I'll end up after it with 440-460. This program gets the user squatting four times a week.

Check it out. Or check out shieko
    Shut up and Squat!

mastermold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mastermold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mastermold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mastermold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mastermold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mastermold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mastermold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mastermold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mastermold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mastermold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mastermold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

You are going about this wrong

You need to do a lot more squats with bands. This will teah you accelerate through the squat. Bands are heavier up top and lighter at the bottom.

-If you did squats on to a box and exploded up from the prone position and exploded up you would increase rate of force and potential to create inertia
    -Squat on low box
    -Squatting on low box teaches us to pre-load muscles for jumping
    -work on your lower back
    -work on technique

OP are you a two foot jumper or one foot
    2 foot relies on strength
    1 foot relies on speed and elastic energy

Work on your weakness, you strength is pretty low so get that in. Also have you heard of wrk capacity training it will help u handle higher wrk volume without CNS overload.

CITATION: LOUIE SIMMONS WESTSIDE BARBELL (famous powerlifter on youtube)

^ this info is more incorrect than correct.

4/6 pm

Squat full

front [10 x bar] [5 x 135] [1 x 225] [3 x 225] x 2

back [10 x bar] [5 x 135] [3 x 225] [1 x 225] [5 x 225] [1 x 275] [1 x 295] [1 x 315] [2 x 315] [4 x 315]pr <--- rep 3 bad, rep 4 squat morning [4 x 275]

bw 181

* plan on front squatting a lot more.

for those of you that are familiar with oly lifts ie snatch, clean/jerk... is it better to start the snatch or clean/jerk first or hang cleans?

4/8

bench 10 x 155 x 3

dips, flys, cable flys, incline set of 2

BW 182

4/9 pm

squat full

front [10 x bar] [5 x 95] [5 x 135] [3 x 185] [3 x 225 x 4] PR

back [10 x 135] [5 x 185] [5 x 225] [3 x 275] [1 x 315] [1 x 315] [1 x 295] [5 x 225]

rating on lifts: pure trash. felt rusty and forgot foam roller at home. back felt tight, shouldn't waited til tomorrow. 1 x 315 was real heavy, planned on doing 3 or 4, could barely do 1. planned on going up to 340, obv was going to get pinned if i did.

on a good note, the front squats were okay. form wasn't great and last set of 225 was hard.

4/10

DL

5 x 95, 5 x 135, 5 x 185, 5 x 195, 5 x 215

GoodM

5 x 95, 5 x 115, 5 x 135 x 2

Bent bb rows

10 x 95, 10 x 115, 8 x 135 x 2

db rows

20 x 55

pull up bw x 7

calf raises 12 x 90 x 3

reverse flys 10 x 70 x 3

BW 182

4/13 AM

Squat full

front 10 x bar, 5 x 135, 5 x 185, 3 x 225

back 10 x 135, 5 x 185, 5 x 225, 6 x 275, 5 x 295, 1 x 315

*didn't feel great, schedule all messed up. Ate poorly.

4/14 am

squat full

front 10 x bar, 5 x 95, 5 x 135, 3 x 185, 1 x 225, 1 x 225

back 10 x bar, 10 x 135, 5 x 185, 5 x 225, 1 x 275, 1 x 295, 1 x 315, 1 x 315, 1 x 315

shoulder press

db single 10 x 35, x40, 45

dwight howard raises x 2

bw 181

4/15 AM

front squat up to 225, felt hard

back squat up to 295, felt real hard,

cns destroyed, was doing 315-335 week before without much problem, now 295 feels hard.

4/16 rest

4/17 hurt back some how from bball. hurt it the 1st few min on the court and kept playing on it. some kind of spasm from being too pumped up or something. still hurts today.

4/20 PM

Squat full

front 10 x bar, 5 x 95, 5 x 135, 5 x 155, 5 x 225 x 2 pr

back 10 x bar, 10 x 95, 10 x 135, 5 x 155, 3 x 225, 1 x 275, 1 x 295, 1 x 315

295 and 315 felt a lil heavy. back still not 100% healed. ate horrendously last 5-6 days.

bw 182

4/21 PM

squat full

front [10 x bar] [5 x 135 x 2] [3 x 185] [1 x 225] [1 x 235] [1 x 245] [1 x 255 x 2] compromised form

bench

10 x bar, 10 x 95, 10 x 135, 10 x 155, 10 x 175, 10 x 175, 1 x 175

dips not full rom

bw x 20

bw 183

4/22

squat

back 10 x bar, 12 x 135 x 3, 12 x 185

light day

calves

bw 183

ate very poorly during rest time. had only microwave food b/c busy with school and no time to eat clean. bw went up a lil, strength went down a little.

Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yotone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    good going!

lol ty.

4/28 PM

rows

barbell 20 x 95 x 3

db 50 x 10, 75 x 5, 50 x 10 x 2

face pull 50 x 10 x 3

very busy lately, training lagging and diet not too good.

4/30 AM

4/30 AM

Squat full

front 10 x 95, 5 x 135, 3 x 225, 1 x 225

back 10 x 95, 10 x 135, 7 x 225, 7 x 275, 7 x 275

*solid form overall

5/2

Squat full

10 x 135, 7 x 185, 5 x 225, 5 x 265, 3 x 285, 3 x 305

bw 181

5/4

squat full

5 x 225, 5 x 245, 3 x 285, 1 x 295, 1 x 325

5/7

squat

up to 315

pm

up to 285 x 1, 285 was tough, very tired that day.

been pretty bad at logging lately, a lot of school work.

bw 180

whats going on brah
    Shut up and Squat!