craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Can someone give me a hand please?

I read the stickies about calculating macros/calories/etc. I got an estimationg of BF% in the stickied thread (25%), and am basing my calculations off of that estimation. I'm 5'11, 200lbs. Since macros are calculated using lean body mass, I figured 25% of 200 (50) and subtracted 50 from my weight as my LBM giving me 150. To find maintenance calories, I went here freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator., and received 2614.

I want to reduce the maintenance by 15%, so my daily caloric goal is 2222.
    So, macros are: Protein (1g/lb lean mass) = 150g x 4calories/g = 600 calories
    Fats (0.5g/1lb lean mass) = 75g x 9calories/g = 675 calories
    Which leaves 1275 to be made up in carbs and other protein/fat.

My goal is to really slim down, I am seriously considering entering the BB Summer Shred competition, so fat loss for me is really key. I am following Steve Cook's Big Man on Campus trainer, which emphasizes lifting heavy (I assume its a bulking-style program) but adding in quite a bit of cardio (4x 20min HIIT warmups, 3x 30min HIIT off-days). I just downloaded MyFitnessPal on my phone/tablet to really watch calories and macros

If I am off base with macros, or am not completely understanding everything, please point me in the right direction. I might be relatively new to this, but its time for a change and I am going to take this really seriously. I've been a reader of the forums for quite awhile and know the community is generally really supportive, so thank you all in advance for any help.

PS - I can't post links, so you will have to trust my maintenance calories :P

...and Carlysdaddy camdensdaddy's Avatar
    camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by craigreid92 View Post
    I read the stickies about calculating macros/calories/etc. I got an estimationg of BF% in the stickied thread (25%), and am basing my calculations off of that estimation. I'm 5'11, 200lbs. Since macros are calculated using lean body mass, I figured 25% of 200 (50) and subtracted 50 from my weight as my LBM giving me 150. To find maintenance calories, I went here freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator., and received 2614.

I want to reduce the maintenance by 15%, so my daily caloric goal is 2222.
    So, macros are: Protein (1g/lb lean mass) = 150g x 4calories/g = 600 calories
    Fats (0.5g/1lb lean mass) = 75g x 9calories/g = 675 calories
    Which leaves 1275 to be made up in carbs and other protein/fat.

My goal is to really slim down, I am seriously considering entering the BB Summer Shred competition, so fat loss for me is really key. I am following Steve Cook's Big Man on Campus trainer, which emphasizes lifting heavy (I assume its a bulking-style program) but adding in quite a bit of cardio (4x 20min HIIT warmups, 3x 30min HIIT off-days). I just downloaded MyFitnessPal on my phone/tablet to really watch calories and macros

If I am off base with macros, or am not completely understanding everything, please point me in the right direction. I might be relatively new to this, but its time for a change and I am going to take this really seriously. I've been a reader of the forums for quite awhile and know the community is generally really supportive, so thank you all in advance for any help.

PS - I can't post links, so you will have to trust my maintenance calories :P
    You've got the basics down...just make sure you're actually weighing and measuring your food and not estimating. Also, you could probably be a little more aggressive than 15%. If you're maintenance is 2614 you're not even going to be losing a pound/week on that. No reason you can't lose 1-1.5 lbs. a week if you're hitting your macros and lifting.

craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) craigreid92 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by camdensdaddy View Post
    You've got the basics down...just make sure you're actually weighing and measuring your food and not estimating. Also, you could probably be a little more aggressive than 15%. If you're maintenance is 2614 you're not even going to be losing a pound/week on that. No reason you can't lose 1-1.5 lbs. a week if you're hitting your macros and lifting.
    Yeah measuring out the food is going to be different, but must be done. Would a better goal be to try and eat 1800 calories/day as opposed to 2200? Is the workout plan sufficient? Reading through other threads, its pretty clear that lifting is an absolute requirement (unless you like the malnourished, Paris Hilton look). Thanks for the quick reply btw, much appreciated.

camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) camdensdaddy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yeah measuring out the food is going to be different, but must be done. Would a better goal be to try and eat 1800 calories/day as opposed to 2200? Is the workout plan sufficient? Reading through other threads, its pretty clear that lifting is an absolute requirement (unless you like the malnourished, Paris Hilton look). Thanks for the quick reply btw, much appreciated.
    You could start at 2200 b/c you don't actually know what you're maintenance is right now. If you're not losing 1-2 lbs. a week on 2200 though then cut 200. It is better to start high and cut further than to cut them to far and try to add them back. I'm just suggesting that your goal could be a little more aggressive. Does that make sense?

I don't think you'll need all that cardio...it allows you to eat more while your cutting b/c it raises your TDEE, but it's not necessary. I'd save for later on in the cut when calories are already low and you're hungry, but need to make cuts somewhere.

As for the lifting program...I'm not familiar with it, but if it focuses on heavy compound lifts then it should be fine.

Originally Posted by camdensdaddy View Post
    You could start at 2200 b/c you don't actually know what you're maintenance is right now. If you're not losing 1-2 lbs. a week on 2200 though then cut 200. It is better to start high and cut further than to cut them to far and try to add them back. I'm just suggesting that your goal could be a little more aggressive. Does that make sense?

I don't think you'll need all that cardio...it allows you to eat more while your cutting b/c it raises your TDEE, but it's not necessary. I'd save for later on in the cut when calories are already low and you're hungry, but need to make cuts somewhere.

As for the lifting program...I'm not familiar with it, but if it focuses on heavy compound lifts then it should be fine.
    That makes sense, try it at a higher rate and adjust based on results.

Lifting program stresses going for heavy weights and increasing with each workout either a) the weight you lift or b) reps you do (of course, if you could do both its fantastic). Glad to hear it sounds like I will be alright, I was kind of worried that I messed up my calcs. somewhere

That makes sense, try it at a higher rate and adjust based on results.

Lifting program stresses going for heavy weights and increasing with each workout either a) the weight you lift or b) reps you do (of course, if you could do both its fantastic). Glad to hear it sounds like I will be alright, I was kind of worried that I messed up my calcs. somewhere
    You've got the right idea now you just need to put it to use and make adjustments as necessary.