rennade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Layne Norton's PHAT

This was my first week of working out and I decided to follow Layne Norton's PHAT. Anyone on this program can clarify some question for me? Thanks
    - To make sure I'm doing the workout right, if the workout say " 3 sets of 3-5 reps " This mean do the workout 3 time with each time being 3-5 time, am I correct?
    - The reason I am asking is because I use weight that make me go near failure but I have not been feeling sore during the past 7 days. I know soreness /= gain but I don't even feel tired after the gym either. I do some searching and people say the volume of the program is big, but I complete each day ins about 30~40 minutes. What is consider a " big volume " of workout?
    - How is the result for the new updated PHAT for everyone? Thanks

Dsewell13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dsewell13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dsewell13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dsewell13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dsewell13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dsewell13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dsewell13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dsewell13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dsewell13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dsewell13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dsewell13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've done phat it should take more than 30-40 mind. Increase your rest breaks cuz you shouldn't blow through it. Also work on mind muscle connection. Might help with not feeling it
    http://teamfd.firstdescents.org/2012/fd/tokenspullups/sewell/

10,000 Pulls for 1000 Dollars for Young Adult Cancer survivors through the organization First Descents. Click the link and learn and hopefully donate.

Currently 1087 dollars raised and 5615 pull ups done in the last 26 days (October 16,2012)
    New goal of 1500

525+ 275 + 345 = 1145 total

Tough as London broil beastmodemike's Avatar
    beastmodemike is a name known to all. (+5000) beastmodemike is a name known to all. (+5000) beastmodemike is a name known to all. (+5000) beastmodemike is a name known to all. (+5000) beastmodemike is a name known to all. (+5000) beastmodemike is a name known to all. (+5000) beastmodemike is a name known to all. (+5000) beastmodemike is a name known to all. (+5000) beastmodemike is a name known to all. (+5000) beastmodemike is a name known to all. (+5000) beastmodemike is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by rennade View Post
    This was my first week of working out and I decided to follow Layne Norton's PHAT. Anyone on this program can clarify some question for me? Thanks
    - To make sure I'm doing the workout right, if the workout say " 3 sets of 3-5 reps " This mean do the workout 3 time with each time being 3-5 time, am I correct?
    Well, to be honest, PHAT may not be the best program for you as a complete beginner. It's really meant for somebody who is at the intermediate level and who may be more accustomed to the high volume demands of PHAT. Yes, 3 sets of 5 means you do the lift for 3 separate sets, with 3-5 reps per set.

So, if you were doing 225 on bench, you would do it like this: set 1: 225x3-5 reps, set 2: 225x3-5 reps, set 3: 3-5 reps.

I do some searching and people say the volume of the program is big, but I complete each day ins about 30~40 minutes.
    There is NO WAY you are finishing any of the workouts from PHAT in 30-40 minutes if you are doing it correctly.

- How is the result for the new updated PHAT for everyone? Thanks
    Right now I'm cutting and my strength is going up and my muscle seems to be maintaining. I think the program is great so far, but I need more time to truly evaluate it.

Originally Posted by Dsewell13 View Post
    I've done phat it should take more than 30-40 mind. Increase your rest breaks cuz you shouldn't blow through it. Also work on mind muscle connection. Might help with not feeling it
    Exactly what this dude said. On POWER days you should take as much rest as you need to lift the heavy weight. I sometimes take 5 minutes in between sets for major compounds like bench, squat, and bent over rows.

On HYPERTROPHY days, the rest periods between exercises should be much shorter, no more than 2 minutes per set.

Soooo, on you power days, the workouts should be longer and on hypertrophy days you workouts should be shorter. In either case, the workouts should definitely take more than 30-40 minutes.

jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jmccauley1229 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    you're 16, and you just started lifting. get on a beginner's program.

rennade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks you for the reply guy.
    Originally Posted by jmccauley1229 View Post
    you're 16, and you just started lifting. get on a beginner's program.
    Is there any different between a inter/pro routine compare to a beginner routine? Is the gain for a beginner routine better for beginner or something? I only reason I chose PHAT because it had all the gym equipment that my gym have available. What beginner program would you recommend (Your favorite or from stickies is fine). Thanks

tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    yes the gain from beginner routines is better because you are hitting muscles with a higher frequency. at the weight you are lifting now it isnt that taxing on your body and therefore you dont need as much time before hitting that muscle again. so beginner workouts are typically of the 3-day full body workout variety. by hitting full body 3 times a week instead of muscles twice a week as with phat youll get faster results. its not until your lifting heavier weight that you need an extra day off and have to back off to an intermediate progression plan.
    [ ] Bulking [x] Cutting

LSU '09

Current PRs:
    BP/S/D/OHP: 285/375/405/180
    Big 3: 1065
    Big 4: 1245