Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    icepeten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

170 lbs 17% bf should i cut or bulk plz help :(

should i lose more fat or go with the bulk process?

i am at 17% for about 3 weeks doing 45 min cardio every day and lifting weights
    i am also on 1800 caloric def. i amn't losing anymore
    Attached Images
    Last edited by icepeten; 03-17-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Winfamy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Winfamy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Winfamy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Winfamy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Winfamy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Winfamy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Winfamy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Winfamy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Winfamy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Winfamy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Winfamy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you're asking this, you're probably sick of cutting and just want to bulk so I'm going to say bulk. No one can tell you whether you should be bulking or cutting, you have to ask that to yourself.

You cut until you're sick of it/see no point in cutting any further and you bulk until you feel like you're too fat, as simple as that.

Location: Liverpool, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    BACKSabbath has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would bulk man, get some more strength and size then go for a really good cut. Rinse and repeat.

but i heard that i should start from 12% and it seems hard to me to reach this percentage

more opinions would be awesome!!!

matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What are your goals? Personally, I would keep cutting. BACKSabbath who posted earlier would bulk. Short term, do you want to be lean or do you want to gain size? You aren't in desperate need of either so it's your choice.
    R.I.P urukhai29, sentinel3, AncientYouth.

"Eating chips and cookies and drinking soda is just like wandering through life. These are the agents of a purposeless existence. Avocados, turkey burgers, brown rice and eggs etc are the agents of a purposeful existence." - orderoutofchaos, The Internet, 2014

2 Kings 2:23-24

dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Are your stats right? Says your 219 at 5'9''...Was just looking at your pic and look a bit smaller (not hating) I would go with what some of the other guys were saying and try to bulk up a little bit and put on some strength and then worry abou tcutting. Only reason if your already a smaller guy if you start cutting there will be nothing left. Work on size and then cut then you'll have something to show once you get there...either way you head GL...

Originally Posted by dindysport View Post
    Are your stats right? Says your 219 at 5'9''...Was just looking at your pic and look a bit smaller (not hating) I would go with what some of the other guys were saying and try to bulk up a little bit and put on some strength and then worry abou tcutting. Only reason if your already a smaller guy if you start cutting there will be nothing left. Work on size and then cut then you'll have something to show once you get there...either way you head GL...
    170 lb sir

steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by icepeten View Post

Something that worked for me a bit was to drop the cardio way down and add another weight lifting session only do high reps very little rest session -Its like cardio weight training. I do a heavy work out in the morning then then the "cardio"one in the evening on the same body part. If you do that a week and it doesn't work then try something else.

tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Depends on your goals as everyone is saying. Personally I want to get down to about 10% before I start bulking again. I'm at about 15% now at 187.
    "You see, in life, lots of people know what to do, but few people actually do what they know. Knowing is not enough! You must take action!"

***Traditional Wet Shaving Crew***
    ***Disregard everything else, acquire aesthetics crew***
    ***Scotland crew***
    ***Texas Crew***
    ***MFC Crew***

★★ The WAKE UP EARLY because I CHOOSE to Crew ★★

Dallas Cowboys. Texas Longhorns. Glasgow Rangers. Texas Rangers.

naipe21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would go for bulking..
    There is sunny days in wich you love life,
    But sometimes you feel your running against your self.

davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's almost spring/summer. I'd keep cutting until halfway through summer than start a slow bulk.

Bump

Can anyone recommend a workout program for cutting if he recommends that for me or vise versa (bulking)
    i am so depressed

softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Can anyone recommend a workout program for cutting if he recommends that for me or vise versa (bulking)
    i am so depressed
    Cutting any strength program with lower volume but heavy weight (look at SL 5x5, Starting Strength, or 2x Upper/2x Lower Body splits).

Bulking I like JasonDB's 5x5 program, Wendler's 5/3/1, and many many more. Bulking is very easy for any program because you gain strength, endurance and muscle. Cutting is muscle retention, strength retention, and lesser volume since we are eating less aka muscle does not recover as fast.
    Retired 74kg PL Open Division (3 meets)

So cutting more or start bulking ???
    Last edited by icepeten; 03-21-2013 at 12:40 PM.

softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Cut til 13-14%, then slow bulk, that's my opinion. Anyone at 17% shouldn't really bulk, but that's my opinion only. Others will have diff opinions.
    Retired 74kg PL Open Division (3 meets)

Location: Bude, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Mystogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mystogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mystogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mystogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mystogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mystogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mystogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mystogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mystogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mystogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mystogan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    in my opinion cut down 10-12 then a slow clean bulk

Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So cutting more or start bulking ???
    Looks to be about 50/50 man so totally up to you but you seem to have some muscle mass...Id personally cut since summer is getting close.
    *IIFYM*

Starting weight 12/1/11 - 240lbs

Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Like others have said, it's all personal preference.

If I were you, I would cut a bit more because you aren't that far from being pretty lean (and, frankly, it's generally easier to lose fat than gain muscle). If you can lose 10lbs of fat in the next two months, you will be at about 12%bf (it never works out exactly like that because you will lose a bit of lbm, but still).
    2/14: 218
    7/7: 183

"The poison is in the dose." ~ Brad Pilon

"What matters is actually doing something. You usually won't find out if something is right for you ahead of time unless you just hunker down and try it. So stop worrying and start hunkering." ~ Lyle McDonald

" 'Why' is one of the most powerful words you can put in your vocabulary." ~ Alan Aragon

"I'm lucky because I can eat whatever I want and I just get really, really fat." ~ Louis C.K.

BigG0rilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigG0rilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigG0rilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigG0rilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigG0rilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigG0rilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigG0rilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigG0rilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigG0rilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigG0rilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigG0rilla is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    man, the most important thing is what YOU feel. Ppl will tell you to bulk, because it is the most reasonable, but if you will feel ****ty, then just cut! It will eventually come off! I am slowly losing, lost 3kg so far, in 1 month. I am skinny as foark, but I am not comfortable with my current love handles. Im at roughly 13-15%... I will cut untill june. Then do a really clean bulk untill next march. Just eat healthy man and keep working hard!
    The resistance that you fight physically in the gym,
    and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character.

- Arnold Schwarzenegger

byhsu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) byhsu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) byhsu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) byhsu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) byhsu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) byhsu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) byhsu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) byhsu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) byhsu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) byhsu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

i would cut, actually i am cutting, i am 5'9" at around 170 lbs. too

GeorgeConte will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeorgeConte will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeorgeConte will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeorgeConte will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeorgeConte will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeorgeConte will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeorgeConte will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeorgeConte will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeorgeConte will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeorgeConte will become famous soon enough. (+50) GeorgeConte will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You already look allot better than the average Joe so its up to you. In my opinion just go for bulking, i say that because i think extra muscle always looks better on a body (even with more fat).

hooperjaws will become famous soon enough. (+50) hooperjaws will become famous soon enough. (+50) hooperjaws will become famous soon enough. (+50) hooperjaws will become famous soon enough. (+50) hooperjaws will become famous soon enough. (+50) hooperjaws will become famous soon enough. (+50) hooperjaws will become famous soon enough. (+50) hooperjaws will become famous soon enough. (+50) hooperjaws will become famous soon enough. (+50) hooperjaws will become famous soon enough. (+50) hooperjaws will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Mystogan View Post
    in my opinion cut down 10-12 then a slow clean bulk
    Sounds good in principle - but how to achieve?? I am stuck at 17%, even though i am sure my calories are in deficit.. ..maybe need to give it longer.

Just how long does it take to get from 17 to 15, then 15 to 13? does it take longer and longer?

scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50) scohen158 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I say cut until you are sick of it or hit 12% and depending when that is and the climate near you maintain (through the rest of the hot summer if applicable) bulk the fall into winter and cut in the late winter into spring so your set for next summer.
    Rebooted 2/24/2015: 286 lbs

Started at 317 lbs in Feb 2012 Ended 172.2 in October 2013.

^Former 300+lb Crew^

davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by hooperjaws View Post
    Sounds good in principle - but how to achieve?? I am stuck at 17%, even though i am sure my calories are in deficit.. ..maybe need to give it longer.

Just how long does it take to get from 17 to 15, then 15 to 13? does it take longer and longer?
    How many calories are you taking in now? I have to imagine it's not much at 150 pounds on a cut. Maybe you haven't reduced your calories enough, or maybe you are just on one of those 1-2 week annoying plateaus which are followed by ridiculously fast fat loss.

BUMP
    i am still at 17% i am sick of it

MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50) MookyStick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by davidolson22 View Post
    It's almost spring/summer. I'd keep cutting until halfway through summer than start a slow bulk.
    This^

It's what I'm trying to do right now.

i think i have a very little muscle to continue cutting or ????

Bump