xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10) xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10) xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10) xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10) xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10) xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10) xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10) xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10) xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10) xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10) xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Need Help With a 2x a Week Routine

I need some help with the routine I want to do. Couple of stats first, I'm 22, I've been lifting for almost 2 years. I'm 6'1, 205, and around 14% BF. I'm training for hypertrophy and aesthetics, currently cutting trying to aim to get around 185/190 with around 5-7% BF for beach season.

I'm a big fan of increased training frequency. Hitting muscles twice a week, as opposed to once every 6-7 days, is a much better feeling for me. I've been giving the Upper/Lower and Push/Pull/Legs splits a try, to see which felt better. Upper/Lower seems to consolidate more, being only 4 times at the gym a week, but I feel like it's not as intense of a workout. Push/Pull/Legs is feeling pretty good. I'm totally fine with being in the gym 6 days a week (only working part time while I try and find a different job, so the frequency isn't an issue). I've been looking around on the site for a good Push/Pull/Legs routine, but haven't really found any well written ones.

So I'm turning to you guys for some help. If you could post up here, PM me, or refer me to a well written one, that would be greatly appreciated.

Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Intensity of a workout is going to be what YOU make it. If you feel like the upper/lower you've been doing doesn't have enough volume for what you want add a few sets to lifts you already have or add an extra exercise. Personally upper/lower hitting each two times a week is probably my favorite lifting protocol.

3x8 Bench Press
    3x8 Incline Bench
    3x8 Weighted Dips
    3x8 Barbell Rows
    3x8 T-Bar Rows
    3x8 Pullups (add weight)
    2x8-10 Skullcrushers
    2x8-10 Barbell Curls

Lower-
    3x8 Squats
    3x8 Deads
    3x8 Leg press
    3x8 Leg curls
    3x15 Calf Raises

I'd say that's a decent protocol focusing more on compound movements and less isolation, but like I said if you feel you want and can handle more than add sets or an exercise. Obviously your rep range can change depending on what it is you are aiming for but since you noted hypertrophy I kept it in this range. Could even build in a deload and use ~15% less weight on the second workout of the week depending on your recovery abilities and how far along you are. Some dislike squats and deads in the same workout, but I've never really had a problem doing that.
    Fierce 5 novice routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

All Pros beginner routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169172473

Calculating calories and macros: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173439001

Multivitamin Creatine Monohydrate
    Fish Oil Whey

xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10) xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10) xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10) xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10) xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10) xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10) xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10) xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10) xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10) xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10) xRyanSwanson is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Grizvok View Post
    Intensity of a workout is going to be what YOU make it. If you feel like the upper/lower you've been doing doesn't have enough volume for what you want add a few sets to lifts you already have or add an extra exercise. Personally upper/lower hitting each two times a week is probably my favorite lifting protocol.

3x8 Bench Press
    3x8 Incline Bench
    3x8 Weighted Dips
    3x8 Barbell Rows
    3x8 T-Bar Rows
    3x8 Pullups (add weight)
    2x8-10 Skullcrushers
    2x8-10 Barbell Curls

Lower-
    3x8 Squats
    3x8 Deads
    3x8 Leg press
    3x8 Leg curls
    3x15 Calf Raises

I'd say that's a decent protocol focusing more on compound movements and less isolation, but like I said if you feel you want and can handle more than add sets or an exercise. Obviously your rep range can change depending on what it is you are aiming for but since you noted hypertrophy I kept it in this range. Could even build in a deload and use ~15% less weight on the second workout of the week depending on your recovery abilities and how far along you are. Some dislike squats and deads in the same workout, but I've never really had a problem doing that.
    It's not so much of volume, the overall volume can be fine on the upper/lower split, it's just that I feel the fatigue sets in faster and I get less productive. I mean, that's the case with all lifts, but it being an entire upper day, the fatigue affects more of the body parts than say just doing a Chest/Triceps day, where I know the fatigue won't affect as much. I don't know though.

Also I feel that since I'm cutting and trying to lose weight, being in the gym 6 times a week will add to maintaining that caloric deficit, since I'll be getting that calorie burn from weightlifting every day, as opposed to having to go to the gym just for some cardio.

I'm open to any and all suggestions though.

Bump while I'm at the gym.

Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000) Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000) Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000) Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000) Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000) Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000) Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000) Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000) Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000) Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000) Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by xRyanSwanson View Post
    Bump while I'm at the gym.
    what about something like this

Push
    Flat Barbell Bench Press: 3x5
    Standing Barbell Shoulder Press: 3x5
    Incline Barbell Bench Press: 3x8-12
    Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise: 3x8-12
    Dips: 3x10-12
    Overhead Dumbbell Extension or similar triceps exercise: 3x10-12

Pull
    Barbell Rows: 3x5
    Pull Ups: 3x8-10
    Face-pulls: 3x-10-12
    Barbell Bicep Curls: 4x-10-12
    Choice of one other bicep exercise: 3x10-12
    Shrugs: 3x10-12

Legs
    Barbell Squats: 4x5-6 (or deadlifts)
    Romanian Deadlift: 3x8-10 (or front Squats)
    Leg Extensions: 3x10-12
    Hamstring Curls: 3x10-12
    Standing Calf Raises: 5x10-12
    Train for Strength, Eat For Size, Rest for Recovery, Repeat for Results

Originally Posted by Dano85 View Post
    what about something like this

Push
    Flat Barbell Bench Press: 3x5
    Standing Barbell Shoulder Press: 3x5
    Incline Barbell Bench Press: 3x8-12
    Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise: 3x8-12
    Dips: 3x10-12
    Overhead Dumbbell Extension or similar triceps exercise: 3x10-12

Pull
    Barbell Rows: 3x5
    Pull Ups: 3x8-10
    Face-pulls: 3x-10-12
    Barbell Bicep Curls: 4x-10-12
    Choice of one other bicep exercise: 3x10-12
    Shrugs: 3x10-12

Legs
    Barbell Squats: 4x5-6 (or deadlifts)
    Romanian Deadlift: 3x8-10 (or front Squats)
    Leg Extensions: 3x10-12
    Hamstring Curls: 3x10-12
    Standing Calf Raises: 5x10-12
    I probably should have added what I have written down in my phone's app.
    I'm working something similar, here it is:

Push:
    Leverage Incline Chest Press 4x10
    Leverage Decline Chest Press 4x10
    (My shoulders pop when they get to a certain range, so I've been switching to the leverage machine to control the motion since I hadn't been seeing much results from regular DB/BB press)
    DB Arnold Press 3x10
    Machine Flyes/Incline DB Flyes 3x10
    Cable Tricep Pushdown 3x8
    Decline EZ Bar Skullcrushers 3x8

*My shoulders are rather large, they make the rest of my arms look small, so I've been trying to reduce shoulder work

Pull:
    Deadlifts 4x6
    Cable Rows 3x10
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 3x8
    One Arm DB Row 3x10
    Preacher Curls 3x8
    Incline DB Curl 3x8
    Face Pulls 3x8

Legs:
    BB Back Squats 4x10
    Romanian Deadlifts 3x10
    Leg Press 3x12
    DB Lunges 3x12
    Seated Leg Curl 3x10
    Standing Calf Raises 3x12
    Seated Calf Raises 3x12

Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000) Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000) Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000) Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000) Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000) Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000) Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000) Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000) Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000) Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000) Dano85 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I probably should have added what I have written down in my phone's app.
    I'm working something similar, here it is:

Push:
    Leverage Incline Chest Press 4x10
    Leverage Decline Chest Press 4x10
    (My shoulders pop when they get to a certain range, so I've been switching to the leverage machine to control the motion since I hadn't been seeing much results from regular DB/BB press)
    DB Arnold Press 3x10
    Machine Flyes/Incline DB Flyes 3x10
    Cable Tricep Pushdown 3x8
    Decline EZ Bar Skullcrushers 3x8

*My shoulders are rather large, they make the rest of my arms look small, so I've been trying to reduce shoulder work

Pull:
    Deadlifts 4x6
    Cable Rows 3x10
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 3x8
    One Arm DB Row 3x10
    Preacher Curls 3x8
    Incline DB Curl 3x8
    Face Pulls 3x8

Legs:
    BB Back Squats 4x10
    Romanian Deadlifts 3x10
    Leg Press 3x12
    DB Lunges 3x12
    Seated Leg Curl 3x10
    Standing Calf Raises 3x12
    Seated Calf Raises 3x12
    so what is it you are looking for :P

if this not intense enough cut some of you reps down for the first main compounds each day like 3-5 sets of 4-6 reps at a higher weight....
    Train for Strength, Eat For Size, Rest for Recovery, Repeat for Results

Originally Posted by Dano85 View Post
    so what is it you are looking for :P

if this not intense enough cut some of you reps down for the first main compounds each day like 3-5 sets of 4-6 reps at a higher weight....
    Just others' perspectives or input on the matter.

I guess I could also be asking for a routine grading, I suppose.

Bump.

Also, is it possible to increase certain lean body mass while cutting?

SY89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    SSeeing as we're posting out push/pull/legs splits....here's what I'm on atm

Push:
    Flat DB Bench 2 x 8-10 reps at normal weight (i.e. what you currently do for these rep ranges)
    Flat DB Bench 2 x 5 at heavy weight
    Tricep Dips 4 x 8-10
    Seated DB Shoulder Press 4 x 8-10
    Incline Flies 3 x 10-12
    Lateral Raise 3 x 10-12
    Dumbell Overhead extension or Rope Cable pushdown (Depending if cables are free) 4 x 10-12

Pull
    Weighted Pull Ups (Dead Hang) 5x5
    BB Rows 4 x 8-10
    High Cable Pulls 4 x 8-10
    Incline Shrugs with Kettlebells (Heaviest is 28kg per bell so will switch to D.Bells soon) 3 x 10-12
    Wide Grip Curls 3 x 10-12
    Incline Hammer Curls 3 x 10-12

Legs
    Squats 5x5
    Laying Hamstring Curl 4 x 8-10
    Leg Extension 4 x 8-10
    Calf Press (Smith Machine) 4 x 12-15

I do it Push/Pull/Legs/Push/Pull/Rest/Rest - cant access gym on weekends so only train 5 x a week.

Working for me.
    "I'm not there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday"

Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Bump.

Also, is it possible to increase certain lean body mass while cutting?
    Unfortunately I don't have the link(s) handy, but there was a study showing that during a calorie deficit in which the trainee neglected the lower body the lean mass of the upper body could actually increase which is in line with that you are saying about your shoulders. However, your shoulders are a much smaller bodypart than your entire lower body so view that as you will but physiologically the concept makes complete sense.
    Fierce 5 novice routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

All Pros beginner routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169172473

Calculating calories and macros: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173439001

Fish Oil Whey

Unfortunately I don't have the link(s) handy, but there was a study showing that during a calorie deficit in which the trainee neglected the lower body the lean mass of the upper body could actually increase which is in line with that you are saying about your shoulders. However, your shoulders are a much smaller bodypart than your entire lower body so view that as you will but physiologically the concept makes complete sense.
    I could see that happening, your legs are half of your body, so half of the macros and calories you're consuming are being directed towards the lower half.

And I was just curious because I still need to increase the size of my chest (who doesn't?), and focus less on the shoulders for my push day.

I could see that happening, your legs are half of your body, so half of the macros and calories you're consuming are being directed towards the lower half.

And I was just curious because I still need to increase the size of my chest (who doesn't?), and focus less on the shoulders for my push day.
    It is definitely a concept to use if you have weakpoints.

Fish Oil Whey

It is definitely a concept to use if you have weakpoints.
    Do you think you could find this article, or perhaps give me an idea of where to look for it?

Bump.

Bump.