to1790 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) to1790 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Just passed my NASM CPT 4th Edition Exam! Ask me anything

I just got done taking my exam earlier today for the CPT through the National Academy of Sports Medicine and I successfully passed! If anyone has any questions about the exam please feel free to ask! And don't be afraid to be specific with your questions, the more specific you are the more likely I will remember questions similar to it from the test. Ask away :]

JerseySwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerseySwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerseySwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerseySwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerseySwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerseySwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerseySwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerseySwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by to1790 View Post
    I just got done taking my exam earlier today for the CPT through the National Academy of Sports Medicine and I successfully passed! If anyone has any questions about the exam please feel free to ask! And don't be afraid to be specific with your questions, the more specific you are the more likely I will remember questions similar to it from the test. Ask away :]
    congrats!
    were the practice exams any help?
    any specific chapters I should pay extra attention to?
    any iPhone apps you use to quiz yourself?
    how long did you study?
    how long did it take you to complete the exam?

eyeguy is a name known to all. (+5000) eyeguy is a name known to all. (+5000) eyeguy is a name known to all. (+5000) eyeguy is a name known to all. (+5000) eyeguy is a name known to all. (+5000) eyeguy is a name known to all. (+5000) eyeguy is a name known to all. (+5000) eyeguy is a name known to all. (+5000) eyeguy is a name known to all. (+5000) eyeguy is a name known to all. (+5000) eyeguy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Congrats. And all I this
    Originally Posted by JerseySwell View Post
    congrats!
    were the practice exams any help?
    any specific chapters I should pay extra attention to?
    any iPhone apps you use to quiz yourself?
    how long did you study?
    how long did it take you to complete the exam?

ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If the avg guy is doing heavy(for him) squats, would you also recommend him doing core stabilization training?
    NASM-CPT

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by to1790 View Post
    You're pretty excited. I remember those days....
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

JerseySwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerseySwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerseySwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerseySwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerseySwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerseySwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerseySwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JerseySwell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    answers? im batter up

SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ChessGuy View Post
    If the avg guy is doing heavy(for him) squats, would you also recommend him doing core stabilization training?
    Silly question really. No one is exempt from core stabilization training. While heavy squats does indeed work your core, it does not work your core dynamically, only through a static level change.
    Entrepreneur.
    Personal Trainer
    Student of Business.
    CEO of an In-Home Personal Training Business.
    Mentor to Aspiring In-Home Personal Trainers.

http://www.GymlessTrainer.com

Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Of course. But always AFTER squats obviously. Make sure you hit the lower back hard to strengthen it to hold the weight since it's the part of your core which is going to be used the most intensely.

ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Looks like the OP vanished.
    NASM-CPT

Ok, so lets add Deads to the mixture. If someone is doing heavy Squats and Deads as part of a strength routine, does he really need to do separate core training?

I say heck no. Stick with the big exercises..
    NASM-CPT

Ok, so lets add Deads to the mixture. If someone is doing heavy Squats and Deads as part of a strength routine, does he really need to do separate core training?

I say that he implements core into his routine but not segregates it. Or superset with a set on an unstable surface and less weight.

SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJHunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Expanding on what I said earlier, again, dead lifting works your core in only one way. Both squats and dead lifts overload your posterior chain. Sure if they are heavy enough you will light up a significant portion of the core, but you will have a strong lumbar and thoracic spine area with weaker lateral and anterior core strength.

Aside from contracting and stabilizing the posterior muscles of the core (dead lifts and squats), the core can also contract and stabilize on the anterior (hanging leg lifts with controlled movement, front squats, etc.).

What you're really overlooking is what most trainers overlook, and that is rotation and anti-rotation (stabilization against rotation). If you're creating the total package, you want to hit it all. "Squat and dead lift is all you need for core" is lazy science and poor formatting.
    Entrepreneur.
    Personal Trainer
    Student of Business.
    CEO of an In-Home Personal Training Business.
    Mentor to Aspiring In-Home Personal Trainers.

http://www.GymlessTrainer.com