Mattingly23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Not flexible enough for squats?

I have my home gym set up to squat (Weider Core 600 adjustable rack) and I can't quite get the right grasp of the bar. I don't have any weight on it for now. I don't know exactly what it is...my arms kinda don't go back that far, if I make it comfortable for my arms and shoulders, the weight is way up on my neck, which is no good. I'm a helluva lot more flexible then my friends but I guess I got room for improvement!

I rode a bike for the first time in 20+ years and didn't make it very far before my legs got tired. I've been struggling with the C25K because of the ache in my legs.

They need muscle.

I have a Total Gym but I can't really load it with enough weight to do a proper 'squat'. I have it on level 10 with 100lbs added.

I can throw some weights on the Core 600 and do legs there perhaps?

Suggestions?

Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Body weight squats... 5 reps... then 10... stand there and squat and do BW sets... take a bar add 10 lbs... then 20... then work up... do walking/biking/incline walks to build up strength...

My friend bought a recumbent bike and kept it here...the resistance never worked, it can't go up or down and it's a pretty difficult ride. I just rode it and didn't last long until the legs were aching. I'm going to keep at it, bike rides outside, recumbent inside, body weight squats, BW while hanging onto some dumbbells maybe..work my way up.

BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000)
    To improve your shoulders do dislocates. Use a bit of doweling or a towel or anything really, take a wide grip and pull it over your head and back.
    Current log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149169243

Now cutting!

Originally Posted by BalhamBeast View Post
    To improve your shoulders do dislocates. Use a bit of doweling or a towel or anything really, take a wide grip and pull it over your head and back.
    Awesome. Did them with a band. Felt great. Hurt a little, still strengthening a weak rotator cuff, thinking it might help there as well. Thanks.

Bubbaxm2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bubbaxm2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bubbaxm2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bubbaxm2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had the same issue when I started squatting a few years ago and it really helped to use a closer grip early on while I was going light and working on my form. My arms would still hurt like hell when I would release from the bar but I just dealt with it till I became more flexible. Now that I have been doing it for a few years I am able to hold with a wide grip and get the bar lower.

JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BalhamBeast View Post
    That was gold for me. 50 reps a day, 5-6 days a week.

Make yourself a box and get some mats. Sit back on the box and use the mats as spacers. Every couple of weeks remover a mat as your mobility increases. Do the googles for stretches for squating as there are a ton out there.

Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You could also try front squats; you don't have your arms bent back so much.

Cruiser

jasencha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a good friend who had this same problem, worse for him is he wasn't flexible to even go down into a full squat or even get his legs high enough for a leg press. He threw a day of yoga into his routine and it really helped.

JRT6 also gave some great advice about the boxes.

thnikkaman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thnikkaman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thnikkaman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thnikkaman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thnikkaman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thnikkaman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thnikkaman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thnikkaman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thnikkaman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thnikkaman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thnikkaman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yoga, Shoulder dislocators, Dorway pec stretches, and Foam roller on the upper back has worked wonders for me. I've gone from wincing in pain doing a low bar squat to doing 265 for 8 reps with little pain in a couple of months.
    No negative energy, I will mute ya
    Only Positive energy surrounds me
    Only, open minds around me
    Only, free spirits around me
    I let my vision guide me.

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154495553