newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to workout at the gym after a long layoff and age factor:

OK. i'm turning 50 this summer.
    I used to work out- starting at age 16, so i know my way around the training, the diet and supplementation somewhat.
    It's been over a year since i worked out and i've binged at night quite a bit and i'm solid but probably 20lbs overweight.
    i'm 5'10" around 205lbs. i liked myself around 190 but leaner. i guess MUCH leaner. i know what to do with diet, i'm jst
    unsure of how to approach the gym again. i do wear orthotics and have some left over pain from shoulder tendinitis (not rotator cuff injury).
    -
    i was thinking of doing cardio every other day and doing the wholebody circuit training to start 2xweek.
    i'd do low intensity elliptical cardio for a while and then alternate between lower and HIT.
    i guess for now, i just need to start moving and eating clean again,
    but i don't know what i'm supposed to expect at my age now.
    how long should i do the lower intensity cardio?
    Last edited by newrob; 03-13-2013 at 12:43 AM. Reason: grammer

BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000)
    Do it for as long as you feel you should.
    You know your body better than anyone else. Get started, see how it goes and adjust as necessary.

Remember though - if you want to lose fat, exercise is secondary. 90% of what you need to lose it takes place in the kitchen. If you know what you're doing with your diet, you should start seeing results no matter what you're doing in the gym.

BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlackSwan88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^^^^^This...solid advice. Look at his pic, pretty impressive, so he knows what he is talking about.

Many of us believe DIET is the 800lb gorilla when it comes to getting back in shape. You master that and the rest is whip cream and cherries...best of luck!

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by newrob View Post
    OK. i'm turning 50 this summer.
    I used to work out- starting at age 16, so i know my way around the training, the diet and supplementation somewhat.
    It's been over a year since i worked out and i've binged at night quite a bit and i'm solid but probably 20lbs overweight.
    i'm 5'10" around 205lbs. i liked myself around 190 but leaner. i guess MUCH leaner. i know what to do with diet, i'm jst
    unsure of how to approach the gym again. i do wear orthotics and have some left over pain from shoulder tendinitis (not rotator cuff injury).
    -
    i was thinking of doing cardio every other day and doing the wholebody circuit training to start 2xweek.
    i'd do low intensity elliptical cardio for a while and then alternate between lower and HIT.
    i guess for now, i just need to start moving and eating clean again,
    but i don't know what i'm supposed to expect at my age now.
    how long should i do the lower intensity cardio?
    If the bolded is true I'm not sure what anyone here can tell you.

Also your edit is priceless.
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.