Impossible4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Impossible4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Impossible4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Impossible4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Impossible4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Impossible4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Impossible4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Impossible4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Impossible4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Impossible4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Impossible4 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Trying to understand iifym

Is taking 3 scoops of protein powder a day but still eating complex carbs vegs healthy fats and getting ur fiber in ok?

SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Impossible4 View Post
    Is taking 3 scoops of protein powder a day but still eating complex carbs vegs healthy fats and getting ur fiber in ok?
    Yes.

IIFYM - As long as you have met the macros you intended to eat for the day, it largely doesn't matter how you get there.
    "Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't own it, but you can use it. You can't keep it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it you can never get it back.” - Harvey McKay

What is IIFYM? Read post #8 by HunterCML:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152492113

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SelfMotivated View Post
    Yes.

IIFYM - As long as you have met the macros you intended to eat for the day, it largely doesn't matter how you get there.
    Well it does matter

It's just supposed to mean using moderation

HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I hope this isn't the accepted definition these days.
    IIFYM - not even once.

www.AlanAragon.com

SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by HunterCML View Post
    I hope this isn't the accepted definition these days.
    Well I guess I should have specified. When I meant "it largely doesn't matter," I meant that as far as the OP is concerned yes it's okay.

IIFYM really is just spreading out your meals in a way that is convenient for you, as long as you are hitting your macros for the day.
    "Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't own it, but you can use it. You can't keep it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it you can never get it back.” - Harvey McKay

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well I guess I should have specified. When I meant "it largely doesn't matter," I meant that as far as the OP is concerned yes it's okay.

IIFYM really is just spreading out your meals in a way that is convenient for you, as long as you are hitting your macros for the day.
    It's not just about macros

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    It's not just about macros
    Well no, it needs to be a balanced diet of whole foods and micros are important as well.

HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well no, it needs to be a balanced diet of whole foods and micros are important as well.
    IIFYM has no universally accepted definition. However, it came to pass to ward off the asinine assumption that avoidance of certain food items in and of themselves, and the addition of others (i.e. "The 6 foods that work") is necessary or even optimal. It is fine to consume most food in moderation, however all knowledgeable "IIFYM followers" will admit that:

1. Adequate daily micronutrients are important.
    2. Foods with harmful synthetic compounds and heavy metals should be avoided.
    3. Adequate daily fiber is important.
    4. Protein sources should be appropriate (i.e. "if all my protein comes from Jello I am still doing IIFYM?")
    ETC

My personal definition of a healthy, and optimal, diet would be:

"If it fits your macros and micros and has an adequate EAA profile and allows you to have sufficient EFAs, phytonutrients and fiber while avoiding the consumption of harmful heavy metals and synthetic TFAs."

I would explain this to a person who had little knowledge of nutritional science as "IIFYM", because no one will understand or remember "IIFYMM&EAAs&EFAs&P&F;AHM&STFAs".
    Last edited by HunterCML; 03-12-2013 at 07:37 PM.
    IIFYM - not even once.

www.AlanAragon.com

Thanks for the info above. I bookmarked this page and will add it to my sig.

I guess I should have been more informative in my original post. I by no means meant to go to extremes like all protein from jello or all carbs from sugar, etc. I will try to be more informative in the future, thanks again!

Thanks for the info above. I bookmarked this page and will add it to my sig.

I guess I should have been more informative in my original post. I by no means meant to go to extremes like all protein from jello or all carbs from sugar, etc. I will try to be more informative in the future, thanks again!
    I know you probably didn't mean it in those extremes, but people will twist your definition and then say "so I can do this" and "I can do that" when you never meant to suggest such a thing. People will make whey and mayo shakes and wonder why they're lethargic.

The whole thing is moderation and diet freedom. I don't mean to impose a self-righteous definition on a simple concept, but I think it's the "simplicity" that turns some people off.
    Last edited by HunterCML; 03-12-2013 at 07:44 PM.
    IIFYM - not even once.

www.AlanAragon.com

JosefRakichFitness.com JOSEF RAKICH's Avatar
    JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Impossible4 View Post
    Lol not sure if serious...

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz

"If it fits your macros and micros and has an adequate EAA profile and allows you to have sufficient EFAs, phytonutrients and fiber while avoiding the consumption of harmful heavy metals and synthetic TFAs."

I would explain this to a person who had little knowledge of nutritional science as "IIFYM", because no one will understand or remember "IIFYMM&EAAs&EFAs&P&F;AHM&STFAs".
    I think this is a good definition the only problem, is people's perception of what is adequate.
    Or they say they do "80/20" and either categorize things in the 80 that should be in the 20 OR think that just because they don't eat a lot of "bad" foods, that their micros are met.

Many also have no idea that there are trans fat in a lot of the food they eat but has a label listed with 0grams (rounded) but they just never look at the ingredient list
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

I know you probably didn't mean it in those extremes, but people will twist your definition and then say "so I can do this" and "I can do that" when you never meant to suggest such a thing. People will make whey and mayo shakes and wonder why they're lethargic.

The whole thing is moderation and diet freedom. I don't mean to impose a self-righteous definition on a simple concept, but I think it's the "simplicity" that turns some people off.
    No you're right, misinterpretation is after all how BROscience was born. I am by no means an expert or do this for a living, so I don't mind that I'm wrong, but I will definitely be more clear the next time around.

Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by JOSEF RAKICH View Post
    Lol not sure if serious...
    its not that dumb of a question. he is trying to learn

IIFYM has no universally accepted definition. However, it came to pass to ward off the asinine assumption that avoidance of certain food items in and of themselves, and the addition of others (i.e. "The 6 foods that work") is necessary or even optimal. It is fine to consume most food in moderation, however all knowledgeable "IIFYM followers" will admit that:

1. Adequate daily micronutrients are important.
    2. Foods with harmful synthetic compounds and heavy metals should be avoided.
    3. Adequate daily fiber is important.
    4. Protein sources should be appropriate (i.e. "if all my protein comes from Jello I am still doing IIFYM?")
    ETC

agreed. most of these people take it to the extreme. they neglect the normal food.

What the main objective is was to have moderation.
    little bit of junk( if you can fit the macros) healthy, etc.

some people have went to the dumb approach of going fully processed foods which is not the proper route it was meant to have. some thing applies to people with lean gains and timing
    all of these "cultists" out there and the original message is lost.

"If you dont do X, leangains is worthless"
    "you can eat all the junk you want as long as IIFYM"
    I do feel that not all macronutrients are equal.
    especially protein and amino acid profiles

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    we'd be better off if we stopped using the term IIFYM
    Just like ditching "clean" and "dirty" a few years ago
    Ambiguity, labeling, subjectivity, etc
    Rather than trying to throw blanket terms over a food, meal or diet, we should take each person's individual situation/circumstance/question into context.
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    we'd be better off if we stopped using the term IIFYM
    Just like ditching "clean" and "dirty" a few years ago
    Ambiguity, labeling, subjectivity, etc
    Rather than trying to throw blanket terms over a food, meal or diet, we should take each person's individual situation/circumstance/question into context.
    Personally I think nutrition should be taught in elementary school / middle school / high school. From what I remember all it was in health class was "apples are good! candy is bad!" Seems like it would clear up a lot and more people would have an easier time understanding.

Personally I think nutrition should be taught in elementary school / middle school / high school. From what I remember it all it was in health class was "apples are good! candy is bad!" Seems like it would clear up a lot and more people would have an easier time understanding.
    but what would they teach? Macros?
    Do you really think kids could or even should be calulating their protein, carb and fat intake?
    No, no , no. Instead they should be promoting general healthy diets/food sources.
    And how hypocritical it would be!
    They do that and then serve pizza, chicken nuggets, french fries, cake, and fry everything in vegetable oil for school lunches.
    Founder of MMDELAD