Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Crlyhairkid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crlyhairkid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crlyhairkid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crlyhairkid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crlyhairkid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crlyhairkid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight?

Is it really neccesary to consume that much per day? I've been trying to bulk for the last 3 months and just assumed i had been following the "1gperlb" but it turns out i have not been consuming anything NEAR the recomended amount (160 grams?).

If I do have to consume that much protein, how in the heck do i manage to consume that much protein? I'd like to know the "best" way and the most "economical" way of reaching this daily protein consumption goals.

OH WISE ONES OF BODYBUILDING.COM, THIS NOOB CALL UPON THEE.

mcdameeks2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Crlyhairkid View Post
    Is it really neccesary to consume that much per day? I've been trying to bulk for the last 3 months and just assumed i had been following the "1gperlb" but it turns out i have not been consuming anything NEAR the recomended amount (160 grams?).

If I do have to consume that much protein, how in the heck do i manage to consume that much protein? I'd like to know the "best" way and the most "economical" way of reaching this daily protein consumption goals.

Just getting going on bb.com forums as well, but without getting into precise details, most young guys do not need that much. Get your calories from carbs. 1 g/lb is slightly on the higher side. And whey protein is by far the most economical way to get your protein in bar none, unless perhaps you buy things like pure isolates or hydro whey at a retail store.

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1g/lb is just a good way to make sure you are geting enough. you can get away with less. will it be opimal? maybe maybe not. id rather be safe than sorry
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

I.love.cereals.brah. vimalancity's Avatar
    vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50) vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50) vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50) vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50) vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50) vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50) vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50) vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50) vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50) vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50) vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50)

When you're bulking, you're already in a surplus of calories, thus protein needs tend to be lesser as compared to when you're cutting (deficit). So for a bulk, .82 - 1g of protein / pound of bodyweight's more than enough, considering you're already on a surplus to gain weight.
    IIFYM Crew brah

Srs/10

BrennanHill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    2 shakes a day, egg whites, Greek yogurt, etc. these are low in calories and high in protein.

StrongDruid is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongDruid is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongDruid is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongDruid is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongDruid is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongDruid is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongDruid is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongDruid is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongDruid is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongDruid is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongDruid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I was surprised how my grams of protein per day steadily grew once I started paying attention to it. I keep a food log (excel spreadsheet) to track my calories and protein only. At first it was hard to come up to 50g per day protein, but then I found foods higher in protein. To get about 160g protein in a day, my typical meals include the following protein sources:

Breakfast - yogurt, eggs, and bacon -> about 20-30g protein
    Lunch – 4 oz chicken, beef, or fish (added to a salad) or 8 oz lentils -> about 30g protein
    Snacks – whey protein shake -> 23g protein
    Dinner – 8 oz chicken, beef, or fish (usually with a sweet potato), soy beans in the pod add 12g or so -> 40g protein
    About 2 to 3 hours after dinner (usually after my P90x workout) – whey protein shake -> 23g protein
    (current/1 year goals)
    Squat - 235/315
    Bench - 215/255
    Deadlift - 335/430

saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000) saw7988 is just really nice. (+1000)

To directly answer your questions in chronological order:

necessary: no, 1g /lb LBM is probably the absolute minimum I'd use, but not a big deal
    how: generally by eating foods that contain it - meat & dairy are best
    "best way": whatever way that you enjoy and fits into a healthy, balanced, satiating diet
    most economical: whey protein & $2/lb chicken breasts

Also, why did you feel the need to post this (which is probably one of the most basic questions you can possibly ask) in the advanced section? Not that I care, but your logic here just kind of intrigues me.

germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    When bulking, anywhere between 0.64g/lb-0.82g/lb (1.6g/kg-1.8g/kg) will most likely be adequate. So as long as you are getting at least ~120-130g you should be fine.
    Sports Science & Health Undergraduate

You don't always get what you wish for,
    You get what you work for.

Bite off more than you can chew,
    Then Chew it!

Twitter: @MarkGermaine

"It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys." - Emil Zatopek

Registered User ClassyEcdysiast's Avatar
    ClassyEcdysiast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ClassyEcdysiast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ClassyEcdysiast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ClassyEcdysiast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you started your day with a 9oz steak, it would immediately halve your protein reqs. I'm not sure if this is most economical, but it's a $5 breakfast that will do amazing things for your bodybuilding needs.

Jamespie has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jamespie has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jamespie has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jamespie has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jamespie has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jamespie has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jamespie has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jamespie has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jamespie has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jamespie has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jamespie has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Ok im sick of this. Protein powder is a waste of time and money. YOU DONT ABSORB THE POWDERED PROCESSED PROTEIN. Protein powder is a complete gimmic. Just another way the supplement industry gyps us. Even creatine is a scam. My brother is a doctor and explained the technical stuff, but basicly, your body can only hold a certain ammount of creatine at once and this ammount is EASILY achieved naturally. So bottom line youre litteraly peeing out the money you put into protein and creatine powder. Also dont cosume huge ammounts of protein in one sittting, your body can only absorb 30-40 grams max in one sitting.

andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) andrewwww has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Jamespie View Post
    Ok im sick of this. Protein powder is a waste of time and money. YOU DONT ABSORB THE POWDERED PROCESSED PROTEIN. Protein powder is a complete gimmic. Just another way the supplement industry gyps us. Even creatine is a scam. My brother is a doctor and explained the technical stuff, but basicly, your body can only hold a certain ammount of creatine at once and this ammount is EASILY achieved naturally. So bottom line youre litteraly peeing out the money you put into protein and creatine powder. Also dont cosume huge ammounts of protein in one sittting, your body can only absorb 30-40 grams max in one sitting.
    First post, TROLL? this is bro science I eat most my calories in 1sitting you mad?
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/photos/view-user-photos/158620

scottie255 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottie255 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottie255 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottie255 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottie255 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Jamespie View Post
    Ok im sick of this. Protein powder is a waste of time and money. YOU DONT ABSORB THE POWDERED PROCESSED PROTEIN. Protein powder is a complete gimmic. Also dont cosume huge ammounts of protein in one sittting, your body can only absorb 30-40 grams max in one sitting.
    I agree with you somewhat... I get more than enough protein (1g per pound body weight = 158g of protein), just by eating foods. Breakfast 200g chicken (50g, lunch 200g fish (around 40g) and dinner 200g steak (48g) or kangaroo (around 40g). Then when you add milk to a bowl of oats bingo you pretty much hit your goal... well mine anyways.

However, when you say your body can only consume 30-40g max at one sitting, that's pretty much BS. How did humans take in the correct amount of protein back in the day when they had to hunt and kill animals and eat what they could to survive...

Ok so I do have a question. I am following a macro of 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat for a 3000 cal meal plan, but it states I should have 300g of protein... Thats double the recommended intake and I pretty much only tend to get around 200g protein a day (without taking shakes because I believe they are a waste of money as I get more than 160g a day from food). Should I just stick to what I am doing and not worry if I hit 300g of protein a day? I am aiming for a lean bulk by eating healthy carbs/protein foods. Thanks in advance.

Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by scottie255 View Post
    I agree with you somewhat... I get more than enough protein (1g per pound body weight = 158g of protein), just by eating foods. Breakfast 200g chicken (50g, lunch 200g fish (around 40g) and dinner 200g steak (48g) or kangaroo (around 40g). Then when you add milk to a bowl of oats bingo you pretty much hit your goal... well mine anyways.

However, when you say your body can only consume 30-40g max at one sitting, that's pretty much BS. How did humans take in the correct amount of protein back in the day when they had to hunt and kill animals and eat what they could to survive...

Ok so I do have a question. I am following a macro of 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat for a 3000 cal meal plan, but it states I should have 300g of protein... Thats double the recommended intake and I pretty much only tend to get around 200g protein a day (without taking shakes because I believe they are a waste of money as I get more than 160g a day from food). Should I just stick to what I am doing and not worry if I hit 300g of protein a day? I am aiming for a lean bulk by eating healthy carbs/protein foods. Thanks in advance.
    Stop using outdated methods for calculating your macros then. Ratios suck.
    Eat the damn yolk.

scottie255 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottie255 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottie255 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottie255 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottie255 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Gxp23 View Post
    Stop using outdated methods for calculating your macros then. Ratios suck.
    Do you have a ratio you use or do you just eat what you think will give you what your body needs? I just checked out the calculator which is on the bodybuilding.com site and it seems they run off a 45% carbs, 35% protein and 20% fat so its not too much difference to what I was already using. I still think 263g of protein is too much though... (based on a 3000 cal diet).

looking for funny picture Streeter4life's Avatar
    Streeter4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Streeter4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Streeter4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Streeter4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Streeter4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Streeter4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Streeter4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Streeter4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Streeter4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Streeter4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Streeter4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bulking you will want like 1.5 to 2 g/lb IMO... I am cutting with 1g/lb

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Streeter4life View Post
    if your bulking you can get away with less protein
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

Do you have a ratio you use or do you just eat what you think will give you what your body needs? I just checked out the calculator which is on the bodybuilding.com site and it seems they run off a 45% carbs, 35% protein and 20% fat so its not too much difference to what I was already using. I still think 263g of protein is too much though... (based on a 3000 cal diet).
    please read the nutrition stickies. do not even look at the main site
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

VANCOUVER CANUCKS FUK YEA MAGnitude's Avatar
    MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000)
    how people cannot reach their protein minimums with whole foods I do not know.
    RIP- LUC BOURDON

GO THE CANUCKS, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by MAGnitude View Post
    me either. protein is so easy to get for me
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

Originally Posted by MAGnitude View Post
    I know exactly how... they have no idea what a decent meal plan looks like. I was told when bulking to go on the "see food" diet. How does this give you the proper nutrition your body needs? It doesn't. It took me a while and a lot of reading before I finally figured out a good easy meal plan with a good balance of protein and carbs and it wasnt until then that I noticed the difference. I see it all the time and people think they need to spend hundreds to seek nutrition advice (a mate of mine paid $50 a week from a personal trainer for a meal plan), when all you need to do is google and your set. People might disagree with this but I honestly see this all the time. Oh and people thinking they can have a protein shake to build muscle when they dont go to the gym and train, stuns me....

I know exactly how... they have no idea what a decent meal plan looks like. I was told when bulking to go on the "see food" diet. How does this give you the proper nutrition your body needs? It doesn't. It took me a while and a lot of reading before I finally figured out a good easy meal plan with a good balance of protein and carbs and it wasnt until then that I noticed the difference. I see it all the time and people think they need to spend hundreds to seek nutrition advice (a mate of mine paid $50 a week from a personal trainer for a meal plan), when all you need to do is google and your set. People might disagree with this but I honestly see this all the time. Oh and people thinking they can have a protein shake to build muscle when they dont go to the gym and train, stuns me....
    feel better now?
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
    feel better now?
    haha yea sorry for the rant. I guess it's not helpful. Thanks for the comments though
    Last edited by scottie255; 10-06-2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: spelling error

chazsr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Depends whether you are calculating your percentages as calories or grams? 1g of protein = 4 calories whereas 1g of fat is nearly 9 calories. So a ratio of 40/40/20 in grams is COMPLETELY different to a ratio of 40/40/20 in calories.

pdt414 is just really nice. (+1000) pdt414 is just really nice. (+1000) pdt414 is just really nice. (+1000) pdt414 is just really nice. (+1000) pdt414 is just really nice. (+1000) pdt414 is just really nice. (+1000) pdt414 is just really nice. (+1000) pdt414 is just really nice. (+1000) pdt414 is just really nice. (+1000) pdt414 is just really nice. (+1000) pdt414 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Personally I eat between 1-1.5 g of protein per LBW regardless of bulk or cut. And that works for me. I tend to stay to the higher side because it has never lead me astray. But some studies suggest higher intakes of protein during a cut. http://www.fasebj.org/content/27/9/3837.full

EfficientLiver will become famous soon enough. (+50) EfficientLiver will become famous soon enough. (+50) EfficientLiver will become famous soon enough. (+50) EfficientLiver will become famous soon enough. (+50) EfficientLiver will become famous soon enough. (+50) EfficientLiver will become famous soon enough. (+50) EfficientLiver will become famous soon enough. (+50) EfficientLiver will become famous soon enough. (+50) EfficientLiver will become famous soon enough. (+50) EfficientLiver will become famous soon enough. (+50) EfficientLiver will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've experimented around and found little difference in results from the amount of protein I take in. Size of surplus/deficit is much more important.

So no, you don't have to get 1g/lb.....you can though...but i don't think you should get .5g / lb either.....

Getting 1g/lb shouldn't be that hard...a half bowl of pasta isn't a meal....i fart out more protein that.

Its ok, Im a Limo driver! ShackledOrphan's Avatar
    ShackledOrphan is just really nice. (+1000) ShackledOrphan is just really nice. (+1000) ShackledOrphan is just really nice. (+1000) ShackledOrphan is just really nice. (+1000) ShackledOrphan is just really nice. (+1000) ShackledOrphan is just really nice. (+1000) ShackledOrphan is just really nice. (+1000) ShackledOrphan is just really nice. (+1000) ShackledOrphan is just really nice. (+1000) ShackledOrphan is just really nice. (+1000) ShackledOrphan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by EfficientLiver View Post
    ....i fart out more protein that.
    haha
    Goal: Aesthetic as F*ck, 8-9%/ABs, Continual acquisition of fitness and nutrition knowledge, & Athleticism.

My Dog @ his worst > Your Dog @ it's best.

Boxing & Lifting FTW

Who said dieting had to be bland? iChef

HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000) HealingHands8 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Dannya908 View Post
    your post workout shake should be about 50g so thats 110g left to consume. a 6oz of chicken is about 40 something grams of protein. thats 90g in 2 meals. im pretty sure you can get the other 70g.

I just checked out the calculator which is on the bodybuilding.com site and it seems they run off a 45% carbs, 35% protein and 20% fat so its not too much difference to what I was already using. I still think 263g of protein is too much though... (based on a 3000 cal diet).
    Originally Posted by Streeter4life View Post
    advanced nutrition section huh?

Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by HealingHands8 View Post
    lol.
    Eat the damn yolk.

Originally Posted by HealingHands8 View Post
    lmao
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000) WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000) WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000) WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000) WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000) WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000) WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000) WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000) WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000) WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000) WMLifting is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think their are roughly ~4 posters in this thread, located in the 'Advanced Nutrition' section, who actually know what their talking about...
    My Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169516313

MMDELAD