dgeeting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Advice for office gym

So, my company finally decided that health is important and has built a space for a gym in the office. The facilities manager has asked for my help in picking out some equipment, and therefore, I'd like to ask you guys for input. Unfortunately, the one major caveat is the landlord has dictated that no free weights be allowed, due to the gym being on the second floor and wanting to avoid noise complaints from the downstairs tenants.

I've always done free weights only for my training, so this isn't exactly an easy task for me.

So, here's what we've got so far:

- 34' x 30' room, with padded flooring.
    - $10,000 budget
    - 1 donated cheap ass treadmill
    - 1 donated medium quality exercise bike

I personally would like to see one more cardio machine, preferably a rower, but an elliptical would also be acceptable. This gym will support probably 20 active users, although at different times during the day. I doubt there will ever be more than 4 people in there at a time.

I've also requested a pull-up / dip machine, and a boxing bag, mainly due to such a low footprint on floor space.

Also requested a small incline dumbbell bench, mainly because I plan to keep a set of 25 and 40 lb dumbbells at my desk and use them discreetly (facilities manager says this is ok as long as landlord doesn't see it ) This would also allow for decline pushups for the pros and incline pushups for the noobs.

Obviously, we need a lot more resistance training, but I just don't know if some Bowflex type machine is going to be worthwhile; I've always hated those things.

Thoughts?

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dgeeting View Post
    So, my company finally decided that health is important and has built a space for a gym in the office. The facilities manager has asked for my help in picking out some equipment, and therefore, I'd like to ask you guys for input. Unfortunately, the one major caveat is the landlord has dictated that no free weights be allowed, due to the gym being on the second floor and wanting to avoid noise complaints from the downstairs tenants.

I've always done free weights only for my training, so this isn't exactly an easy task for me.

So, here's what we've got so far:

- 34' x 30' room, with padded flooring.
    - $10,000 budget
    - 1 donated cheap ass treadmill
    - 1 donated medium quality exercise bike

I personally would like to see one more cardio machine, preferably a rower, but an elliptical would also be acceptable. This gym will support probably 20 active users, although at different times during the day. I doubt there will ever be more than 4 people in there at a tim

I've also requested a pull-up / dip machine, and a boxing bag, mainly due to such a low footprint on floor space.

Also requested a small incline dumbbell bench, mainly because I plan to keep a set of 25 and 40 lb dumbbells at my desk and use them discreetly (facilities manager says this is ok as long as landlord doesn't see it

Obviously, we need a lot more resistance training, but I just don't know if some Bowflex type machine is going to be worthwhile; I've always hated those things.

Thoughts?
    I don't know what area you're in but craigs list will often have people selling package deals from failed fitness centers/gyms. Machines that many would consider to be part of a circuit. I'd stay away from the multi-style gyms that have several workout "stations" but just one weight stack.
    You'll need to stick with selectorized weight stack machines since you can't have any free weights, so leverage machines are probably out.
    I'd want a seated chess press, military press, peck deck/reverse fly machine. Pulldown, some type of seated row machine, supported or non. Preacher curl and tricep extension or dip machine. Leg extension, leg curl and some type of leg press. Maybe a calf machine. Cardio machines will take up a big chunk.
    Here's a guy in my area who sells used commercial equipment to give you an idea on pricing. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/sgd/3676031590.html
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Buy your strength equipment used. You can find used equipment in virtually any level/state of "condition" if you do your homework before purchasing. List your city if you need any of the forum members to assist in finding particular pieces.
    []---[] Equipment crew member #51 []---[]

Forgot to mention... not only are free weights forbidden, but any loud clanging weight machines would also be forbidden. That's why I mentioned that horrible BowFlex. Are there any weight stack machines that are relatively "quiet"? Maybe nylon coated or something?

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Forgot to mention... not only are free weights forbidden, but any loud clanging weight machines would also be forbidden. That's why I mentioned that horrible BowFlex. Are there any weight stack machines that are relatively "quiet"? Maybe nylon coated or something?
    Keiser makes pneumatic exercise equipment, I've never seen any for sale, but have honestly never looked. I've used the equipment before, and it's better than nothing. It's probably pretty pricey though.
    Is perspiring going to be allowed?
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If this is the case, then I think that treadmills will be louder than you will be "allowed". You may be forced to use elliptical style cardio pieces.
    []---[] Equipment crew member #51 []---[]

Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    Is perspiring going to be allowed?
    Haha, I was tempted to ask the same thing. I really wanted to scream when I found out that we couldn't have free weights, but then realized that at least they're making an effort. My goal is to get enough decent equipment in there where someone could get an acceptable workout if they can't make it to a real gym that day. At least we do have a couple showers in the building.

Originally Posted by deadwoodgregg View Post
    If this is the case, then I think that treadmills will be louder than you will be "allowed". You may be forced to use elliptical style cardio pieces.
    I raised the same concern. My guess is that when they get around to testing out the treadmill (it's not currently plugged in), they'll realize that it's too loud.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    Keiser makes pneumatic exercise equipment, I've never seen any for sale, but have honestly never looked. I've used the equipment before, and it's better than nothing. It's probably pretty pricey though.
    I think this might be a reasonable choice if it were not for the fact that the compressor makes noise. I've used Keiser equipment too and one of the things that bugged me is that the compressor would turn on every now and then. The gym had it either outside or in some small room behind a wall, but it was still loud enough that it could be easily heard by all the gym-goers.

I never really liked the spongy feel of the resistance that the machines offered either. Some people might like it though.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Forgot to mention... not only are free weights forbidden, ...
    What's the problem with dumbbells? They're very quiet so long as they're solid, you don't drop them, and you don't bang them together at the top of the movement. I guess they can be loud if you set them back down hard in the rack, but rubber or urethane coated dumbbells would largely solve that problem too.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i know this is going to sound a little funny, but i know there is some equipment made for convicts who aren't allowed access to freeweights. i think they feature multiple bodyweight stations and it might not be bad...although i don't know how expensive it would be and likely would be a big footprint.

sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Seems like the Bowflex meets the limitations imposed, where almost everything else does not. Why strangle yourself on Bowflex phobia. These babies look pretty hot:
    http://www.bowflexhomegyms.com/bowfl...n+Home+Gym.jsp

Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Buy a Lunk Alarm like at Planet Fitness, its like a siren that sounds when someone is too loud then they have to leave.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #6 []---[]
    Rogue R3 Crew -[]--(ಠ_ಠ)--[]-

Isn't it weird that pirates would go out to shore looking for buried treasure but the real treasure was in the friendships they were making?

"Where the **** are we at?" -Christopher Columbus

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Accutron View Post
    Buy a Lunk Alarm like at Planet Fitness, its like a siren that sounds when someone is too loud then they have to leave.
    And when you do write a review with pics and contact information so we can buy one for our home gyms. . . .
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Unfortunately, the one major caveat is the landlord has dictated that no free weights be allowed, due to the gym being on the second floor and wanting to avoid noise complaints from the downstairs tenants.

Thoughts?
    How long is your lease and what does the lease say about the landlord approving or not approving things? How big is the budget?
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Originally Posted by AttyGuy View Post
    How long is your lease and what does the lease say about the landlord approving or not approving things? How big is the budget?
    Bad news: we have a 10 year lease. Future good news: the tenant below the gym's lease is up in 2 years and we automatically get their space when they leave (rumor is they may even leave early: at the end of 2013). When we get access to the bottom floor, the plan is to move the gym down there and quadruple the floorspace. There will also be no limitation on equipment at that point.

Budget for equipment for the current space is $10,000. There will be an entirely new budget once we get the new space.

Now that I think about it, I'm probably going to bring my set of powerblocks from home up here. I'll just have to adjust my workouts so that I don't lift to failure, so I don't risk dropping them. This should work out great for me, but I don't trust my coworkers to be as responsible, so I'll probably have to keep them out of the common area.