syphinhex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

So I think it's time to go to the gym.

Well, I started lifting a few months ago after having to take a couple years off for shoulder problems and I'm now completley out of weights to throw on the bar unless I start dismantling my curl bar to do bench and vice versa. I went membership shopping the other day and seeing as how I just got a great paying new job I was thinking about hiring a personal trainer for a while until I can get in the swing of things. What I'm doing at the house with my limited equipment and what I'll have access to there are worlds apart so I figure a personal trainer is a great idea since I can afford it now, you know to teach me how to use all of the equipment there and maybe tell me what I need to be doing?

My only problem is I'm a very self-conscious person and in the past 2 years I've put on about 70lbs that I need to take off. So my questions/concerns are:

A. Is it common for people who aren't in very good shape to be working out with a trainer? I know that the first few weeks are going to be total Hell for me until I get used to cardio again.

B. I went from 100lbs(warming my arms back up to lifting) to 150lbs in about 3 months. I know that's not a lot but what would you say the average person who works out on a regular basis is lifting?

Anyways I don't want to be like a side-show, I'm a very broad and athletic built person despite my current weight issue and I really don't want to be the weakest person at the gym--or even if I am, I don't want to be the 'elephant in the room.' I'm really getting into this again and I'm ready to take it to the next level and see some drastic results but do you think maybe I should go buy some more weights and work-out from home for a few more months or should I just dive in?

simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) simoxeh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by syphinhex View Post
    Well, I started lifting a few months ago after having to take a couple years off for shoulder problems and I'm now completley out of weights to throw on the bar unless I start dismantling my curl bar to do bench and vice versa. I went membership shopping the other day and seeing as how I just got a great paying new job I was thinking about hiring a personal trainer for a while until I can get in the swing of things. What I'm doing at the house with my limited equipment and what I'll have access to there are worlds apart so I figure a personal trainer is a great idea since I can afford it now, you know to teach me how to use all of the equipment there and maybe tell me what I need to be doing?

My only problem is I'm a very self-conscious person and in the past 2 years I've put on about 70lbs that I need to take off. So my questions/concerns are:

A. Is it common for people who aren't in very good shape to be working out with a trainer? I know that the first few weeks are going to be total Hell for me until I get used to cardio again.

B. I went from 100lbs(warming my arms back up to lifting) to 150lbs in about 3 months. I know that's not a lot but what would you say the average person who works out on a regular basis is lifting?

Anyways I don't want to be like a side-show, I'm a very broad and athletic built person despite my current weight issue and I really don't want to be the weakest person at the gym--or even if I am, I don't want to be the 'elephant in the room.' I'm really getting into this again and I'm ready to take it to the next level and see some drastic results but do you think maybe I should go buy some more weights and work-out from home for a few more months or should I just dive in?
    Honestly a personal trainer is good if you need the extra motivation. I think this site has a lot of free info to get you going. With that said a pt might help you push past your perceived limitations. Also everyone is at the gym for the same reason. No one is judging you and if they were so what. There are people your size and smaller who don't even try. Feel free to feel selfconcious, I do all the time at the gym, but don't let it stop you. I bet after the weight is gone the gym people will have noticed and probably congratulate you on it. Most people at the gym want others to succeed. Just my opinion.
    Legends are not about the goals, but the journey to reach them.
    You can't reach buried treasue without going through some dirt.

Riley171 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I see all types of people working with personal trainers. But, if you want to save money, youtube and asking people at the gym could cut out the cost of a personal trainer. Maybe find a workout buddy. If you are really concerned about your image, wear a big hoodie. Lots of people workout in hoodies and you can't even notice their physique. But honestly, people are at the gym to workout, not judge other people.

syphinhex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. It would actually be A LOT easier if all of my friends weren't married and lazy, overseas or moved to a different state for job opportunities. lol But I'm definitley ready to go up to 160, 150 is starting to feel easy so tomorrow guess Ima bite the bullet, go down there and see how it goes. Also I'm using free weights at the house, I heard lifting on gym machines, etc. is a good deal easier and you can actually bump up in weight. Any truth to this?

Good luck in all your endeavours.