Registered User MetalGearSolid4's Avatar
    MetalGearSolid4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

boxing: need advice on punching

When you punch the heavy bag, the right way is to clench your fist right before the impact. But what about the arm and the body? i know that you relax the whole body at the beginning of the punch and while the fist is traveling towards the target. But when your fist hits the bag, are you suppose to put tension in your arm and the whole body or do they have to stay relaxed?

Shotokantiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Think of it as using your whole body for the punch, not just your arm. A good sight to visit is Iain Abernethy. You will find tons of helpful things on technique. It's martial arts related but I'm sure you will benefit greatly.

Originally Posted by MetalGearSolid4 View Post
    When you punch the heavy bag, the right way is to clench your fist right before the impact. But what about the arm and the body? i know that you relax the whole body at the beginning of the punch and while the fist is traveling towards the target. But when your fist hits the bag, are you suppose to put tension in your arm and the whole body or do they have to stay relaxed?

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you think about it, you are trying to apply force through your body into the ground. If you're relaxed in the middle, you won't be able to apply great force.

Say you throw a right cross. Yes, you need to be relaxed to get the punch where it is going, but at impact, your right leg creates a platform to launch the force from. Your hips rotate to apply the force and your arm & shoulder drive the fist through. So, yes. You do have to build tension at impact.

While Abernethy is a fine martial artist, my favourite resource for this subject is Jack Dempsey's "Championship Boxing". You can find it online in PDF format. It is free and possibly legal as it is long out of print.

Shotokantiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow. I checked out this book and began reading. Thanks for the input. Something I can use as well. God bless.

QUOTE=krakkerz;1038359913]If you think about it, you are trying to apply force through your body into the ground. If you're relaxed in the middle, you won't be able to apply great force.

Say you throw a right cross. Yes, you need to be relaxed to get the punch where it is going, but at impact, your right leg creates a platform to launch the force from. Your hips rotate to apply the force and your arm & shoulder drive the fist through. So, yes. You do have to build tension at impact.

While Abernethy is a fine martial artist, my favourite resource for this subject is Jack Dempsey's "Championship Boxing". You can find it online in PDF format. It is free and possibly legal as it is long out of print.[/QUOTE]

SpartanMMA will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanMMA will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanMMA will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanMMA will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanMMA will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanMMA will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanMMA will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanMMA will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanMMA will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanMMA will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartanMMA will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Im doing MMA so its relevant but we have a whole other strategy here. When i throw punches i tilt my hips toward the target based on hand that punches hte opponent, but i dont tend to go overboard with tilting because i want to be able to shoot my opponent and land a takedown to start some good ol' GNP.

There is a great technique that Muhammad Ali was doing, he was kicking the heavy boxing bag and as it was coming back, he punched it. Did it for 10 times for each hand to complete a set and did 3 sets every training *i think* its been a long time since i read that i could be wrong

another good thing is to tighten up your whole core and tilt your backing foot a bit sideways to give more of an "extra" reach.

as for the tension in the fists i always have my fists clenched even while standing practicing with a bag. practise becomes habit and it helps in the long term

hope this helped mate

mikallennon94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you should be lead arm's length away from the bag and your right shoudnt be able to reach the bag unless youve twisted your hip to reach it. and dont think so much, thats how you get countered

Registered User heavyhitter1987's Avatar
    heavyhitter1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Theres no wax on wax off. Practice and learn, you can read books for the rest of your life and still be unable to box properly.

taymag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taymag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Get a book or 2 or download/buy some series sets. I thought I had a pretty good understanding until I bought a few dvd series and realized I was vulnerable to a ton of stuff and learns a ton of stuff that literally brings you to a point where you feel like you're cheating you have such an advantage.

taymag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taymag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Title boxing has a series that is pretty solid that you can find online

Location: newcastle-upon-tyne, England, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    ThisIsPadre has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Distance is key, without distance you have nothing, Literally all of your power comes from your base, Legs in the L shape just a bit wider than shoulders, Proper punch power comes from your feet. Be it with a slight shift of weight or a little push from your back leg. Legs and hips should rotate slightly with the punch ( even the with the jab as it actually give you more range but not as vigorously as you would do for a hook ). Your torso should also twist with your hips but at a little faster. Keep everything tight and lead with the punch, Fist always clenched, for jabs and hooks your palm should be facing down and for upper cuts your palm should be facing you. Think of your body as a cobra, Strike fast, hard and return. A powerful punch is like a snap, not a push.

Registered User StephanieIngram's Avatar
    StephanieIngram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StephanieIngram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StephanieIngram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StephanieIngram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StephanieIngram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StephanieIngram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StephanieIngram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StephanieIngram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StephanieIngram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StephanieIngram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StephanieIngram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Buy online boxing punches tips DVD.

HBninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the power doesn't come from your arms, really. they're just the delivery system. think of the weight in your arms vs. the weight in your entire body. technique + mass + explosiveness

it's a chain reaction coming from the ground > feet > legs > hips > torso/back > shoulder > arms > fist

a good tip to remember is pretend you're putting out a cigarette or squashing a bug and punch through your target, but don't push through

the concussive power comes from the immediate contact, afterwards pull your punch back just as fast to maintain good defense

out like a piston, back in like a piston

wwwDOTyoutubeDOTcom/watch?v=LZWluDsRayI

replace DOT with .
    Last edited by HBninja; 03-28-2013 at 10:27 AM.

boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    best advice is SPEED IS POWER...practice technique more, and no dont tension your body until impact so your punch will come back faster and you use less energy
    Heavy bags DonT HIT back, it takes more than a gym membership to compete in the RING or Cage!
    6 time golden glove champion, 2nd at ringside worlds
    *Mac the Champ*
    USMC 0311/ OEF 2010
    SEMPER FI

jdalsim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Look into some fencing techniques for help as well since fencing is where the modern boxing stance and techniques come from. Before it was just brutish poundings, but fencing laid way for "the sweet science"

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jdalsim View Post
    Look into some fencing techniques for help as well since fencing is where the modern boxing stance and techniques come from. Before it was just brutish poundings, but fencing laid way for "the sweet science"
    Excellent advice if you want to only use your lead hand and keep it extended in front of you the whole time. While some principles are similar, and has been used byy some teachers and authors in the 19th century, I think we can move on.