Registered User fallingslowly83's Avatar
    fallingslowly83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Need Help Getting Started - 280 lbs 40% BF

I am a guy who want to focus on being the healthiest me ever. I have been big my entire life and feel that it is now time for a change, and have thought about it more with my 30th birthday right around. I want this for myself to advance my self both personally and professionally. I am currently "stuck" at a job that I have lost all fire for and feel that I am stuck because I feel that no one would want to hire a person at my size. I am looking at some of the things on this site and looking at I feel like I can't get started because these programs are not meant for guys of my size. These are some of the questions I have:

1. What programs can I start at my weight. I have no problem doing cardio as this what I have always resorted to when I did exercise, but I never really focused on strength training as I felt I wasn't strong enough and didn't want to look silly in the gym. I currently can't do "real" push-up or pullups. So I am looking for something simple that is great for beginners.

2. I don't think I will have a problem sticking to a nutrition plan that I've found on this site. But what is the best way to keep a food/exercise log? Pen and Paper, website, app, etc.

3. How many calories should I be eating a day?

4. What are some of the things that I can do to stay motivated on a daily basis.

5. Are there any books out there that I can read that can give me a good foundation into the world of fitness, both exercise and nutrition.

Any help and/or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1. Get rid of your misconceptions
    2. Calculate your calories and macros
    3. Eat about 35% less calories than you burn each day while still meeting minimum protein and fat. Get the remainder of cals from carbs.
    4. Buy a kitchen scale and weigh everything that you eat.
    5. Count calories using a site like MyFitnessPal. Here's how to count properly.
    6. Lift heavy weights to preserve muscle mass, on a program like Starting Strength. Why not your own routine? Read this.
    7. If nothing happens after 3 weeks, reexamine calculations, and eat less.

-Credit to dmacdonal9 for the list.

iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started heavier than you last summer, and am either now in the best shape of my adult life, if not my whole life.

Originally Posted by Vaylor
    1. Get rid of your misconceptions
    2. Calculate your calories and macros
    3. Eat about 35% less calories than you burn each day while still meeting minimum protein and fat. Get the remainder of cals from carbs.
    4. Buy a kitchen scale and weigh everything that you eat.
    5. Count calories using a site like MyFitnessPal. Here's how to count properly.
    6. Lift heavy weights to preserve muscle mass, on a program like Starting Strength. Why not your own routine? Read this.
    7. If nothing happens after 3 weeks, reexamine calculations, and eat less.
    Vaylor's points are all very, very good ones, I'd include adding, realistic goals to the list. I originally set out to lose 90lbs in a year. If all goes well, I should hopefully hit that 90lbs mark in about 8-9 months rather than 12.

I use MyFitnesspal, I don't weigh everything, but I definitely monitor portion size. Pretty much anything that makes it's way into my mouth, makes it's way into MyFitnessPal.
    Originally I also used MyFitnessPal to track my weight training, but I found Bodyspace to be so much better for that.

As for weight programs, I just sort of did my own thing for the first month or so, getting familiar with the various newb machines, and what amount of weight I could move etc. Once I felt ready for more of a challenge, (and to start wearing my big boy pants to the gym), I found Kris Gethin's 12 week trainer here on Bodybuilding.com and it's pretty amazing. I'm just about to start week 8, on my 2nd time through it, and I still cannot believe that it's free.

The weight training program really isn't as important as monitoring what you eat, and eating right. If fat loss is the goal, then make sure you're eating at a caloric deficit, do some cardio to help with that, weight train, and you'll see some results.

As I near my original goal of 200lbs, I find that I'm setting new goals for myself. As they say, it's a lifestyle, not a destination. Work hard, and enjoy the ride.

poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) poker27 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Start doing small things and you will see results. Like you said, its a lifestyle change, not a diet or temporary. Move a little more, eat a little less and good things will happen. Maybe walk a few miles a couple times a week to start, do some daily pushups, go biking, whatever. As for diet you should use a phone app to see what you are eating, and eat less, maybe start with 3000 calorie allowance.

So many people will get burnt out after a week because they set unreasonable goals. At 280lbs you have the advantage of needing alot of calories to maintain your weight, so you can still eat quite a bit and lose weight. I guarantee that after 10 days of exercising and eating 'right' you will already start feeling healthier.

pandaohyea is on a distinguished road. (+10) pandaohyea is on a distinguished road. (+10) pandaohyea is on a distinguished road. (+10) pandaohyea is on a distinguished road. (+10) pandaohyea is on a distinguished road. (+10) pandaohyea is on a distinguished road. (+10) pandaohyea is on a distinguished road. (+10) pandaohyea is on a distinguished road. (+10) pandaohyea is on a distinguished road. (+10) pandaohyea is on a distinguished road. (+10) pandaohyea is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    1. What programs can I start at my weight. I have no problem doing cardio as this what I have always resorted to when I did exercise, but I never really focused on strength training as I felt I wasn't strong enough and didn't want to look silly in the gym. I currently can't do "real" push-up or pullups. So I am looking for something simple that is great for beginners.

A: you have to do strength training along with cardio, more muscle= more fat buring, strengh training also produce more testostrone and speed up motabolism, which will make your body burn fat even when you are not lifting.
    And as for being self concious in the gym, its call quit being a little bitch, if it bothers you that much just wear a sweat shirt.

2. I don't think I will have a problem sticking to a nutrition plan that I've found on this site. But what is the best way to keep a food/exercise log? Pen and Paper, website, app, etc.

A: myfitnesspal.com

3. How many calories should I be eating a day?

A: go calculate your maintance caloric intake and cut 1000cal

4. What are some of the things that I can do to stay motivated on a daily basis.

A: Get angry, you can't be happy with the way you look right now.

5. Are there any books out there that I can read that can give me a good foundation into the world of fitness, both exercise and nutrition.

Any help and/or tips would be greatly appreciated.

A: everything you need to know is here
    I lift marshmallows