DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50)

long torso + short legs = good at Oly Squat <<< this doesn't make sense to me

How does this make sense? The long torso, to me, is in immense disadvantage. Longer torso = much more load on the spine = balance issue, minimal hamstring recruitment.

I've always used the stick analogy:

Take a long stick, hold it on each hand and then try to break it. Longer the stick, the more leverage you have to bend, the easier it is to break

A short stick is much stronger in terms of leverage for weight, thus much harder to break.

Take a chopstick then apply pressure directly from the top down, and you'll see it bends very easily.

Take a short stick, and it's much, much sturdier.

cliffs:

-- I am terribly weak at the squat because I have long torso and short legs
    -- not a flexibility issue because I can do the split and touch my toes bending over with perfectly straight leg
    -- can asian squat no problem, ass to calf, because, well, I'm Asian.

Someone please tell me how I'm supposedly at an advantage when it comes to Oly squat.

scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Shorter femurs. Vertical torso. Shorter ROM.
    And there is much less load on the spine because of the vertical torso.

If you squat like this guy, consider yourself genetically blessed for squatting. Good luck deadlifting however.
    Misc Strength Crew

Ensix is a name known to all. (+5000) Ensix is a name known to all. (+5000) Ensix is a name known to all. (+5000) Ensix is a name known to all. (+5000) Ensix is a name known to all. (+5000) Ensix is a name known to all. (+5000) Ensix is a name known to all. (+5000) Ensix is a name known to all. (+5000) Ensix is a name known to all. (+5000) Ensix is a name known to all. (+5000) Ensix is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have a long torso and short legs, my squat is decent imo, 5x2x130kg 101% ATG.

unlocking asian genetics DaTruth1's Avatar
    DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by DeepSRS View Post
    How does this make sense? The long torso, to me, is in immense disadvantage. Longer torso = much more load on the spine = balance issue, minimal hamstring recruitment.

Take a long stick, hold it on each hand and then try to break it. Longer the stick, the more leverage you have to bend, the easier it is to break

A short stick is much stronger in terms of leverage for weight, thus much harder to break.

Take a chopstick then apply pressure directly from the top down, and you'll see it bends very easily.

cliffs:

-- not a flexibility issue because I can do the split and touch my toes bending over with perfectly straight leg

Someone please tell me how I'm supposedly at an advantage when it comes to Oly squat.
    Put the bar higher and keep your torso vertical. Long torso only becomes a disadvantage if you try to use it as a lever... keep it vertical throughout the ENTIRE ROM and push with your legs/glutes.
    112.5 snatch
    131 cj

Log: http://www.pendlayforum.com/showthread.php?t=15188

DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeepSRS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Putting the bar higher just puts the center of gravity even higher, thus putting more stress on the spine when going vertical. It's just heavier pressure, when I put it higher.

I squat a whole lot more with the bar 2-3 inchers lower, like a powerlifting squat. I still have the flexibility to go ATG despite the bar being very lower. Guess I'll stick to that.

I can powerclean and jerk 210, but my max atg Oly squat is lol240.

ledinred2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ledinred2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ledinred2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ledinred2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ledinred2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ledinred2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ledinred2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ledinred2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ledinred2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ledinred2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ledinred2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It sounds to me like you just don't know how to high bar squat properly. You need to learn how to maintain a vertical torso and use your legs more. I had the same problems initially after switching from low bar squats. But a long torso should pretty much always be an advantage when high bar squatting due to the reduced ROM and shorter femurs.

unlocking asian genetics DaTruth1's Avatar
    DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DaTruth1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Putting the bar higher just puts the center of gravity even higher, thus putting more stress on the spine when going vertical. It's just heavier pressure, when I put it higher.

I squat a whole lot more with the bar 2-3 inchers lower, [b]like a powerlifting squat[b]. I still have the flexibility to go ATG despite the bar being very lower. Guess I'll stick to that.

I can powerclean and jerk 210, but my max atg Oly squat is lol240.
    You gotta keep your spine neutral when you do high bar squats, rather than loridotic, which is how you do powerlifting squats. Front squats and high bar back squats should feel the same.
    112.5 snatch
    131 cj

Log: http://www.pendlayforum.com/showthread.php?t=15188

feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by DaTruth1 View Post
    You gotta keep your spine neutral when you do high bar squats, rather than loridotic, which is how you do powerlifting squats. Front squats and high bar back squats should feel the same.
    $10 words eh?

Gym lifts (PB): C&J: 132.5k, Snatch: 107.5k (p)Jerk: 138k, Clean: 137k Front Squat: 153
    Deadlift: 455, Squat: 380(oly) 360 (pl), Bench: 245, CPUs: 9001
    Comp Total: 237k

dbk1 is just really nice. (+1000) dbk1 is just really nice. (+1000) dbk1 is just really nice. (+1000) dbk1 is just really nice. (+1000) dbk1 is just really nice. (+1000) dbk1 is just really nice. (+1000) dbk1 is just really nice. (+1000) dbk1 is just really nice. (+1000) dbk1 is just really nice. (+1000) dbk1 is just really nice. (+1000) dbk1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by feces99 View Post
    $10 words eh?

what country you from! What aint no country i ever heard of they speak english in what?
    Get This Shiiiiiiiiiiiit

Robination has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Robination has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Robination has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Robination has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Robination has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Robination has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Robination has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Robination has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Robination has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Robination has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Robination has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dbk1 View Post
    what country you from! What aint no country i ever heard of they speak english in what?
    everytime i watch the beginning of that movie i want a cheeseburger

or as they call it...

breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your analogy is so terrible that it is useless. A long torso and short legs means you have less forward lean than someone with short torso and long legs.

Good leverages don't mean you'll be strong. They are just an advantage. There are plenty of people with short arms who can't bench much.

You just need to get stronger. Not everything is an issue with mobility or flexibility (although you might think so if you read enough Oly literature bastardized by Crossfit inspired mobility nonsense.)

Squatting a lot requires extreme determination and a focus on gettig stronger. I have terrible leverages for squat, but I was ranked #4 in the US last year in the 82.5 class in raw powerlifting, whereas in previous years I wasn't even ranked top 50.cI can tell you, I didn't get there by obsessing over mobility and leverages (although I stretch every day without fail.) Those other things are just prerequisites for strength, by in and of themselves they'll never get you a big squat.
    637/390tng/615 - belt/wraps, best gym lifts.
    600/370/600 - best competition lifts.
    575/330/560 - best competition lifts at 181 raw.
    "I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." - 1 Cor 9:27

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by breathinglife View Post
    Your analogy is so terrible that it is useless. A long torso and short legs means you have less forward lean than someone with short torso and long legs.

Good leverages don't mean you'll be strong. They are just an advantage. There are plenty of people with short arms who can't bench much.

You just need to get stronger. Not everything is an issue with mobility or flexibility (although you might think so if you read enough Oly literature bastardized by Crossfit inspired mobility nonsense.)

Squatting a lot requires extreme determination and a focus on gettig stronger. I have terrible leverages for squat, but I was ranked #4 in the US last year in the 82.5 class in raw powerlifting, whereas in previous years I wasn't even ranked top 50.cI can tell you, I didn't get there by obsessing over mobility and leverages (although I stretch every day without fail.) Those other things are just prerequisites for strength, by in and of themselves they'll never get you a big squat.
    This is it in a nutshell!! ^^^^

You get severe advantages, but you have to capitalize on them. You'll still have to work mobility and flexibility, and of course you have to put weight on the bar and squat!!
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168969133

jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

cliffs:

\thread.

feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by jb4476 View Post

\thread.
    it also proves that hydraulics are more effective than muscles
    Gym lifts (PB): C&J: 132.5k, Snatch: 107.5k (p)Jerk: 138k, Clean: 137k Front Squat: 153
    Deadlift: 455, Squat: 380(oly) 360 (pl), Bench: 245, CPUs: 9001
    Comp Total: 237k

breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jb4476 View Post

\thread.
    This illustrates the flaw in the OP's analogy. If the "stick" stays completely upright like Xiaojun's spine, then it doesn't really matter how long it is.

The OP is correct that a short stick is stronger, which we can see by lookig at Xiajoun's short legs.
    "I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." - 1 Cor 9:27

Sexual Tyrannosaurus ftwrestler's Avatar
    ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by scarboro View Post
    Shorter femurs. Vertical torso. Shorter ROM.
    And there is much less load on the spine because of the vertical torso.

If you squat like this guy, consider yourself genetically blessed for squatting. Good luck deadlifting however.
    [youtube]mB21lvAudFk[youtube]
    if only you knew

Originally Posted by ftwrestler View Post
    if only you knew
    WLers don't really need to deadlift much anyway.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus ftwrestler's Avatar
    ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by breathinglife View Post
    WLers don't really need to deadlift much anyway.
    pulling in general is more difficult

Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000) Wolfex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Have found this from testing on myself and observing others

Short torso, long legs = good for pulling/bad for squatting

Long torso, short legs = good for squatting

Check this out

tphaz is on a distinguished road. (+10) tphaz is on a distinguished road. (+10) tphaz is on a distinguished road. (+10) tphaz is on a distinguished road. (+10) tphaz is on a distinguished road. (+10) tphaz is on a distinguished road. (+10) tphaz is on a distinguished road. (+10) tphaz is on a distinguished road. (+10) tphaz is on a distinguished road. (+10) tphaz is on a distinguished road. (+10) tphaz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have long body short legs and I am consider myself good at squat and I love to squat!

wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ftwrestler View Post
    if only you knew
    didnt want to post your deadlift video along with this post

would trade deadlift ability for weightlifting abilities in a heartbeat though

mchase126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchase126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchase126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchase126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchase126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchase126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchase126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchase126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchase126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchase126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchase126 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Squatting low bar ATG seems like a terrible idea...

I have a long torso and had a problem until I realized my core strength was lacking. Weighted back extensions and weighted full situps on a decline fixed that fast... as well as just focusing on form, sucking it up, and doing tons of squats.

My legs are actually kind of long too, which made it harder, but now my Oly squat is MUCH better. I actually got a few compliments on my full squat form at about 135 kg today. I've also seen people with mechanical disadvantages with a great squat. No excuses man, if I can do it, I know you can!

Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I am terribly weak at the squat because I make excuses instead of manning up
    Fixed
    the latest and greatest in training...or whatever.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177744461&page=3