b4bfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b4bfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b4bfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b4bfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Gain muscle/Lose fat simultaneously?

Is it true you can gain muscle and lose fat at a caloric deficit if you're overweight or new to weight training?

TheCorporation is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheCorporation is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheCorporation is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheCorporation is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheCorporation is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheCorporation is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheCorporation is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheCorporation is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheCorporation is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheCorporation is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheCorporation is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You generally want to go for one or the other; losing fat, or gaining muscle, as your body often needs a surplus of calories in order to build muscle, and a caloric deficit to lose fat. That being said, since you are a beginner, you will have some beginner gains and this will temporarily allow you to do both. You will obviously hit a plateau and be force to choose which is best for you.

If you have a decent base to work off, I would suggest limiting calories and cutting down your calories/fat.

If you don't have a decent base, I would suggest lifting heaving and putting on some muscle before starting your deficit.
    Beast it!

golfstar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) golfstar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) golfstar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) golfstar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) golfstar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) golfstar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) golfstar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) golfstar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) golfstar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) golfstar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) golfstar22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Personally I've found myself gain some muscle while cutting. However, you're not going to gain any substantial muscle mass unless you are eating at a surplus....it's just not biologically possible.

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Overweight no, untrained yes, otherwise dont count on it or you will set yourself up for disappointment. However when beginners build muscle, it is such a very tiny amount its insignificant, if they are overweight thats what they need to worry about...dropping the fat to get to an acceptable bodyfat.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

Askie has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Askie has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Askie has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    In my experience this has happened, lost fat and built muscle. From what I understand of muscle development and fat loss is that you need some mass to build muscle with.

So if you have excess fat, this is why people bulk, and train hard while in a caloric deficit you will build muscle and lose fat.

The only time you can't lose fat and build muscle is when you are at your appropriate weight and have a low body fat %.

I have gone from 310 to 280 while resistance training. Built muscle and lost weight.

So yes it can be done depending on your personal situation.

nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    Overweight no, untrained yes, otherwise dont count on it or you will set yourself up for disappointment. However when beginners build muscle, it is such a very tiny amount its insignificant, if they are overweight thats what they need to worry about...dropping the fat to get to an acceptable bodyfat.
    this op.
    I REP BACK

Calories in vs Calories Out Bro
    IIFYM

NEBOSH

b4bfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b4bfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b4bfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) b4bfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm 5'10" and 217lbs. What I usually do is eat around 1000cal and walk for 1.5-2hr daily. I drop weight very fast but as soon as I stop I always wind up right back at 219lbs with incredible speed. I want to do it smarter this time. Would you recommend 1500cal and just weight training daily? I'm probably around 30% bf. If I pass on the cardio my tdee is around 2500cal so 1500cal should give me a 2 lb loss per week.

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Askie View Post
    In my experience this has happened, lost fat and built muscle. From what I understand of muscle development and fat loss is that you need some mass to build muscle with.

So if you have excess fat, this is why people bulk, and train hard while in a caloric deficit you will build muscle and lose fat.

The only time you can't lose fat and build muscle is when you are at your appropriate weight and have a low body fat %.

I have gone from 310 to 280 while resistance training. Built muscle and lost weight.

So yes it can be done depending on your personal situation.
    That makes no sense.
    You need mass to build muscle? Muscle gains from being a newbie are simply from an atrophied muscle becoming active again, beyond that, you need sufficient fats, protein, amino acids, rest and stimulus for the body to synthesize new lean tissue.
    Second paragraph, if you have fat, thats why you bulk while in a calorie deficit. Pick one, you cannot bulk and lose fat at the same time, its physiologically impossible. There is no "appropriate weight", bodyfat % is irrelevant.
    You can gain strength as a beginner, doesnt mean you built muscle, especially if you cannot see it. Anyone can get stronger without building muscle. Beginners build strength rapidly because the brain is learning different motor functions, firing neurons faster and through more efficient pathways to recruit more motor units.

Again, its based on being a beginner, totally irrelevant to weight or bodyfat %, even a skinny guy that is untrained can get strong rapidly.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

Originally Posted by b4bfitness View Post
    I'm 5'10" and 217lbs. What I usually do is eat around 1000cal and walk for 1.5-2hr daily. I drop weight very fast but as soon as I stop I always wind up right back at 219lbs with incredible speed. I want to do it smarter this time. Would you recommend 1500cal and just weight training daily? I'm probably around 30% bf. If I pass on the cardio my tdee is around 2500cal so 1500cal should give me a 2 lb loss per week.
    Thats very low calories. Remember to change your mindset as to how you want to live/train/etc...
    I would start at 2000-2200 calories and see what happens, i would weight train at least 3x a week, probably not more than 4x. If you lift, doing 20 mins of cardio at the end of the workout can make a difference over time.
    At 30% bodyfat (lower than where i started), the fat oxidizes fairly fast and you can get away with a higher calorie intake than normal until you lean out.
    I wouldnt do that much walking if you were doing it just to use calories, although you dont *need* cardio to lose fat, keep it short and simple so you dont waste your time. Training for a run or something is different if you were using that time to get better but for weight loss purposes, save the time and control calories.
    Personally i would lift 3x a week, and do cardio for like 45 mins on non lifting days, i wish i would have done THAT when i started instead of an overabundance of lifting and extremely hard cardio.
    Every 50 cals less you eat per day over the course of a week means 1/10 of a lb of weight gone, if you meet your macros that should be all fat from where you are now. Id also aim for 1% bodyweight loss per week which should be easy, and ironically what you mentioned, 2 lbs a week.
    Adjust calories based on your weight over a period of weeks so you have an idea of how much to eat, obviously you have to start somewhere but 2000/2200 a day is a good place to start and leaves room for change.
    More whole foods and high protein will keep you full if you have hunger issues, steak, chicken, fish, cottage cheese, etc...
    Hope that helps.

softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ^ listen to serp

Stay safe OP.
    Retired 74kg PL Open Division (3 meets)

Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50) Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50) Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50) Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50) Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50) Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50) Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50) Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50) Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50) Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50) Justamonsta will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thats very low calories. Remember to change your mindset as to how you want to live/train/etc...
    I would start at 2000-2200 calories and see what happens, i would weight train at least 3x a week, probably not more than 4x. If you lift, doing 20 mins of cardio at the end of the workout can make a difference over time.
    At 30% bodyfat (lower than where i started), the fat oxidizes fairly fast and you can get away with a higher calorie intake than normal until you lean out.
    I wouldnt do that much walking if you were doing it just to use calories, although you dont *need* cardio to lose fat, keep it short and simple so you dont waste your time. Training for a run or something is different if you were using that time to get better but for weight loss purposes, save the time and control calories.
    Personally i would lift 3x a week, and do cardio for like 45 mins on non lifting days, i wish i would have done THAT when i started instead of an overabundance of lifting and extremely hard cardio.
    Every 50 cals less you eat per day over the course of a week means 1/10 of a lb of weight gone, if you meet your macros that should be all fat from where you are now. Id also aim for 1% bodyweight loss per week which should be easy, and ironically what you mentioned, 2 lbs a week.
    Adjust calories based on your weight over a period of weeks so you have an idea of how much to eat, obviously you have to start somewhere but 2000/2200 a day is a good place to start and leaves room for change.
    More whole foods and high protein will keep you full if you have hunger issues, steak, chicken, fish, cottage cheese, etc...
    Hope that helps.
    ^^^^Great advice here, and right on point.