Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Am I eating too many calories?

Hi guys

I'm currently on the LiveFit program, Phase 2 Week 1.

I've used thefitgirls.com calculator to work out that if I want to lose less than 20lbs and I do 3-5 moderate intensity workouts per week then I should consume 10% less calories than my TDEE which is 2095. I am therefore eating around 1885 calories a day (rather than using the 'eat exercise calories back' method)

As per the LiveFit plan I am doing 6x weight sessions a week and 4x 30 medium intensity cardio workouts.

My only problem is that I don't feel like I'm losing much weight and that 1885 is perhaps too much. My weight has pretty much stayed the same for the last few weeks which is 128lbs. I know I am probably losing fat as I am building muscle but I would like to accelerate a more noticable fat loss to keep me motivated. I am concerned though that if I decrease my calorie intake it will have a negative affect on my weight loss ...!

Can anyone offer some advice? I'm 62 inches tall and my goal weight is around 112lbs.

Thanks
    Nat

** edit **

I forgot to mention, as per LiveFit I am eating 5 - 6 smaller meals per day. Example day:

Breakfast
    4 egg white omlette with 200g fresh spinach & 6x cherry tomatoes
    1 slice rye bread
    (239 calories)

Meal 2
    150g natural greek yoghurt
    10g sunflower seeds
    50g frozen mixed berries
    1x Livefit chocolate protein bar
    (261 calories)

Meal 3
    150g chicken breast
    1 cups broccoli
    1/2 cup cooked brown rice
    (336 calories)

Meal 4
    2x LiveFit Turkey Muffins
    150g rocket leaves
    Protein shake
    (332 calories)

Meal 5
    150g Haddock
    150g frozen green beans
    80g frozen mediterranean mixed veg (courgette, eggplant, peppers and onions)
    80g frozen soya beans
    (378 calories)

Meal 6
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    5x raw almonds
    1 slice rye bread
    15g jam/jelly
    (269 calories)

All together that comes to 1815 calories, 70 cals under. I should not have eaten the the rye and jam at night but had such a sweet craving!
    Last edited by natuk; 03-06-2013 at 02:37 PM.
    Female - 33 years
    Weight: 126lbs / 9st / 57kg
    Height: 5ft 2 / 120 inches / 305cm

Activity:
    Day 1 - Chest & Triceps with Abs and 25 mins HIIT running on treadmill
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 3 - Legs and 30 mins steady state cardio (running or cross trainer)
    Day 4 - Rest
    Day 5 - Back, Biceps & Shoulders, with Abs and 25 mins HIIT running on treadmill
    Day 6 - Rest
    Day 7 - Rest

amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hiya,

You're not meant to lose weight in the first six weeks of LiveFit as it's all aimed at muscle building. After that, fat loss becomes an objective- but a safe rate of loss is 0.5-1lb a week (deficit up to ~3500 calories per week).

During LiveFit I used the 'heavy exercise' multiplier as it is 6 days + cardio which is heaps. Then subtracted 15-20% for the deficit. Base your macros based on the number of cals you're trying to eat.

What do you come out with if you do it that way?
    Training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151424793

natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) natuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by amiaow View Post
    Hiya,

You're not meant to lose weight in the first six weeks of LiveFit as it's all aimed at muscle building. After that, fat loss becomes an objective- but a safe rate of loss is 0.5-1lb a week (deficit up to ~3500 calories per week).

During LiveFit I used the 'heavy exercise' multiplier as it is 6 days + cardio which is heaps. Then subtracted 15-20% for the deficit. Base your macros based on the number of cals you're trying to eat.

What do you come out with if you do it that way?
    Hi, thanks

Yeah I wasn't expecting a massive weight loss but Jamie Eason claims "you should be fitting into your clothes better" or even perhaps "dropped a dress size" but I feel exactly the same shape and my clothes are def not fitting better!

My TDEE for heavy exercise is 2331 so 20% less works out at more or less the same as I'm on now - 1864 cals. Ideally I'd like to lose 2lbs per week, is that really too much?

Thanks
    Nat
    Female - 33 years

Activity:
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 4 - Rest
    Day 5 - Back, Biceps & Shoulders, with Abs and 25 mins HIIT running on treadmill
    Day 6 - Rest
    Day 7 - Rest

amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amiaow has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would say yes, that's too much. Having a lower deficit also prevents too much muscle loss (weight loss is a combination of fat loss and muscle loss) and the objective when losing fat is to retain as much muscle mass as possible. What you are doing now sounds very reasonable!

I would say yes, that's too much. Having a lower deficit also prevents too much muscle loss (weight loss is a combination of fat loss and muscle loss) and the objective when losing fat is to retain as much muscle mass as possible. What you are doing now sounds very reasonable!
    OK, I'll stick with it then. I'm just losing motivation now as I've been working my ass off in the gym and trying to eat as healthy as I can for 5 weeks now and I don't see any difference. It's very hard to stick with a program with no obvious results
    Female - 33 years

Activity:
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 4 - Rest
    Day 6 - Rest
    Day 7 - Rest

Take weight, measurements and front, back & side photos each week. Change will happen, it's just that you see yourself every day in the mirror and so you don't notice the little things. When I was feeling glum for the same reasons in LiveFit, I'd go back and look at my 'now' photo compared to my starting photos and I could see my progress and it really helped on the motivation front!

FWIW, in LiveFit I actually gained 0.5kg overall, but my physique went from undermuscled with tummy to fit looking with flat abs. Weight isn't everything!

nursemel123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by natuk View Post
    Hi guys

I'm currently on the LiveFit program, Phase 2 Week 1.

I've used thefitgirls.com calculator to work out that if I want to lose less than 20lbs and I do 3-5 moderate intensity workouts per week then I should consume 10% less calories than my TDEE which is 2095. I am therefore eating around 1885 calories a day (rather than using the 'eat exercise calories back' method)

As per the LiveFit plan I am doing 6x weight sessions a week and 4x 30 medium intensity cardio workouts.

My only problem is that I don't feel like I'm losing much weight and that 1885 is perhaps too much. My weight has pretty much stayed the same for the last few weeks which is 128lbs. I know I am probably losing fat as I am building muscle but I would like to accelerate a more noticable fat loss to keep me motivated. I am concerned though that if I decrease my calorie intake it will have a negative affect on my weight loss ...!

Can anyone offer some advice? I'm 62 inches tall and my goal weight is around 112lbs.

Thanks
    Nat

** edit **

I forgot to mention, as per LiveFit I am eating 5 - 6 smaller meals per day. Example day:

Breakfast
    4 egg white omlette with 200g fresh spinach & 6x cherry tomatoes
    1 slice rye bread
    (239 calories)

Meal 2
    150g natural greek yoghurt
    10g sunflower seeds
    50g frozen mixed berries
    1x Livefit chocolate protein bar
    (261 calories)

Meal 3
    150g chicken breast
    1 cups broccoli
    1/2 cup cooked brown rice
    (336 calories)

Meal 4
    2x LiveFit Turkey Muffins
    150g rocket leaves
    Protein shake
    (332 calories)

Meal 5
    150g Haddock
    150g frozen green beans
    80g frozen mediterranean mixed veg (courgette, eggplant, peppers and onions)
    80g frozen soya beans
    (378 calories)

Meal 6
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    5x raw almonds
    1 slice rye bread
    15g jam/jelly
    (269 calories)

All together that comes to 1815 calories, 70 cals under. I should not have eaten the the rye and jam at night but had such a sweet craving!

I'm really glad you posted this. I'm also doing LiveFit. I'm at Phase 2 week 3 and have gained 2 pounds which I am really disappointed about. However, I am definitely changing the shape of my body and now have defined triceps, quads, and pec's which is awesome. I'm trying very hard to be focused on the weights much as how strong I feel. And to boot, it appears to be quite the associated kicking we're in for in phase 3.

Keep going and try to focus on how strong you're going to be.

Take weight, measurements and front, back & side photos each week. Change will happen, it's just that you see yourself every day in the mirror and so you don't notice the little things. When I was feeling glum for the same reasons in LiveFit, I'd go back and look at my 'now' photo compared to my starting photos and I could see my progress and it really helped on the motivation front!
    Yeah I have taken photo's and measurements since the beginning. All I have noticed is a slight decrease in my arm measurements... not the hips as I was hoping for (I am very much a "pear" shape). I was studying the photo's last night and still can't see anything. My arms muscles are definitely bigger as are my thigh muscles but in terms of fat loss, nothing is happening! I know weigh isn't everything, I just still look chubby, that's the problem!

I will stick at it though... I'm sure things will change soon!
    Female - 33 years

Activity:
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 4 - Rest
    Day 6 - Rest
    Day 7 - Rest

Originally Posted by nursemel123 View Post
    I'm really glad you posted this. I'm also doing LiveFit. I'm at Phase 2 week 3 and have gained 2 pounds which I am really disappointed about. However, I am definitely changing the shape of my body and now have defined triceps, quads, and pec's which is awesome. I'm trying very hard to be focused on the weights much as how strong I feel. And to boot, it appears to be quite the associated kicking we're in for in phase 3.

Keep going and try to focus on how strong you're going to be.
    Hey Week 7 huh? how's that going? I notice that Jamie focus' more on calorie deficit from Week 7... have you changed your calorie intake much?

Thanks
    Nat
    Female - 33 years

Activity:
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 4 - Rest
    Day 6 - Rest
    Day 7 - Rest

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    For steady fat loss, you should be consuming around 1500 calories. A normal training routine and some cardio doesn't make a huge difference when it comes to calorie deficits.

Calorie deficit + exercise = fat loss.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    For steady fat loss, you should be consuming around 1500 calories. A normal training routine and some cardio doesn't make a huge difference when it comes to calorie deficits.

Hiya Kimm, even 6 days weights with 4 cardio? That surely puts her into the high activity multipliers?

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hiya Kimm, even 6 days weights with 4 cardio? That surely puts her into the high activity multipliers?
    Not in my mind no. When I think higher activity multipliers I lean more towards, triathletes, cyclists, long distance marathon runners, swimmers, etc...

Not in my mind no. When I think higher activity multipliers I lean more towards, triathletes, cyclists, long distance marathon runners, swimmers, etc...
    Good advice, thanks for a new perspective

Is that just a standard 1500 for everyone??
    Female - 33 years

Activity:
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 4 - Rest
    Day 6 - Rest
    Day 7 - Rest

latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

all women Kim? no matter height or how much fat or muscle she is carrying?
    macro breakdown matter?

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    No... but if you are not losing at 1900, dropping calories is the obvious solution.

Originally Posted by latebloomingmom View Post
    macro breakdown matter?
    Pretty much.

Muscle doesn't really effect metabolism (fat mass even less), macro breakdown should be consistent between individuals dieting, and height weight may be a SLIGHT factor, but even still the variation will probably be small.

Generally speaking....
    Females diet around the 1500 calories mark and men 2000. This is a safe place to set starting calories for most anyone. From here, individuals would make small adjustments to dial in. Though, extreme outliers do exist.
    Last edited by acrawlingchaos; 03-09-2013 at 05:05 PM.

macro breakdown matter?
    I'm basing the 1500 calories on the OP's height, weight and age. Any female with similar stats could easily use this as a starting point. Macro breakdowns can affect the way we feel when dieting. You can play around and adjust macros to find your sweet spot so to speak. But when it comes to fat loss, it will go back to how many calories are being consumed.

Originally Posted by acrawlingchaos View Post
    Generally speaking....
    Females diet around the 1500 calories mark and men 2000. This is a safe place to set starting calories for most anyone. From here, individuals would make small adjustments to dial in. Though, extreme outliers do exist.
    That is very generally speaking. My BMR is higher than that ladies figure and I am currently cutting on around 2000 (moderate activity multiplier TDEE). My hubby is starting his first cut tomorrow and I've put him on 2300 (desk job, 3x/week). Tall people = higher BMR = higher cals when using the multipliers. I might eat my arm off if I tried to eat 1500!

I might eat my arm off if I tried to eat 1500!
    Lol
    Female - 33 years

Activity:
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 4 - Rest
    Day 6 - Rest
    Day 7 - Rest

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That is very generally speaking. My BMR is higher than that ladies figure and I am currently cutting on around 2000 (moderate activity multiplier TDEE). My hubby is starting his first cut tomorrow and I've put him on 2300 (desk job, 3x/week). Tall people = higher BMR = higher cals when using the multipliers. I might eat my arm off if I tried to eat 1500!
    General statements tend to be general. Some people are a bit more active, some people are a just taller or bigger (not fatter). Unless you are extremely active, or a large person, these ranges are fairly normal.

You wouldn't eat your arm off at 1500 calories, you would be hungry. The same can be said with your husband. With a sedentary job, regardless of the size 2000 calories would be appropriate. What is your average weight loss in the past on 2000 calories? If you are dropping weight at a good pace 2000 and 2300 respectively are fine.

Again... yes, very generalized and different people would lose weight at these numbers, but except for the few exceptions, 1500 for a woman and 2000 for a man (-+ 1-200) are not absurd numbers to start with.

latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'm basing the 1500 calories on the OP's height, weight and age. Any female with similar stats could easily use this as a starting point. Macro breakdowns can affect the way we feel when dieting. You can play around and adjust macros to find your sweet spot so to speak. But when it comes to fat loss, it will go back to how many calories are being consumed.
    gotcha Kim thanks

hmmm kinda what I was thinking..too

hmmm kinda what I was thinking..too
    Than refer to my response to her.

So Kimm, what do you think is the biggest calorie deficit I can decrease by without it affecting my muscle growth? Would 1400 be ok?

Thanks
    Female - 33 years

Activity:
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 4 - Rest
    Day 6 - Rest
    Day 7 - Rest

Than refer to my response to her.
    I read it

I read it
    If you have something constructive to add, than please.... by all means.

So Kimm, what do you think is the biggest calorie deficit I can decrease by without it affecting my muscle growth? Would 1400 be ok?
    Thanks
    1400 calories could be used, but no need to start off that low when you're just getting started. The longer you diet, the more you lose, the more difficult it becomes. So save it for when it's needed down the road.

If you have something constructive to add, than please.... by all means.
    no just trying to figure out some answers for cutting myself this spring

hit a plateau after losing the first 100 lbs last fall...just a little worried how the next 20 or so pds are gonna come off I guess..
    not trying to take over the thread just reading and paying attention
    Last edited by latebloomingmom; 03-10-2013 at 05:45 PM.

no just trying to figure out some answers for cutting myself this spring

hit a plateau after losing the first 100 lbs last fall...just a little worried how the next 20 or so pds are gonna come off I guess..
    not trying to take over the thread just reading and paying attention
    Well, you know the basics... (protein intake, fat intake, IIFYM etc). IMO the easiest way to dial in and figure a starting point; (since I am pretty sure you have counted in the past)

Start counting calories without changing your diet for 2 weeks and monitor weight. If your weight has not moved, continue with maintenance intake for 2 more weeks to confirm. You can do this to prepare for your deficit and will help you work out the kinks if your counting is rusty. Most women will find that they maintain around 1750-2250.

I think most people over estimate the amount they burn during cardio sessions and strength training isn't as energy demanding as other high out put exercises. After adaption phases, expenditure can be MUCH less than what you would predict. You have to DRASTICALLY increase your output to make room for what would seem like very little food for the effort. Cardio is great.... but if you're trying to lose weight and you are exercise to validate a higher intake, youredoingitwrong.jpg

1500 calories? Blanket statement? Sure, but you will find that if you are using diet as a primary means of losing weight, you will find that your intake should probably be lower than what you think it is.

Dieting isn't fun.... it sucks.... you're going to be hungry, it's normal. I think people start losing the battle when they start looking for way to make diets not suck.

I bet if you talked to most of the women here who have cut successfully, I bet nearly EVERY one of them was in the 1250-1750 range (1500 +- 250 calories). It's just a normal biological range.

1400 calories could be used, but no need to start off that low when you're just getting started. The longer you diet, the more you lose, the more difficult it becomes. So save it for when it's needed down the road.
    What about excercise? Should I eat my calories back if I'm eating 1500? I'm currently doing 6x weights and 4x med intensity cardio a week. Thanks
    Female - 33 years

Activity:
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 4 - Rest
    Day 6 - Rest
    Day 7 - Rest