Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Acquiring Sponsors - RAW Powerlifting

Hey guys!
    I just recently went to the Arnold Classic where my friend from college competed in the 120+kg IPF Raw Challenge powerlifting competition. He got 3rd in that class by 2.5kg but barely missed his lifts which easily would've gotten him 2nd place. He now owns the world record IPF Raw bench press of 563 pounds and is going to try to work up to 600# by next year at the Arnold. I talked to him about going to the Arnold next year and he said that he wants to but might not be able to since he needs to go to the the Nationals meet in July. He's from Wasilla, Alaska and the Nationals meet is in Orlando, Florida. He had a huge concern about transportation costs obviously because both states are on opposite ends of North America basically. I would think that he would be a great sponsorship piece since he now has the IPF Raw World Record so any company that sponsors him will have bragging rights to sponsoring a world class athlete. I don't know if he has potential yet to compete at the IPF Worlds Meet, maybe top 10, but he could compete if they had an IPF Worlds Bench Press Challenge with his record and big bench. He is slowly working his way to that 'world class' status to get a higher total. He totaled 1836 which might not seem like that much because there are 'Raw' lifters out there right now that are pushing an over 2000# total, but he is in the DRUG FREE category, which a lot of those guys totalling over 2000 are not.

Do any of you have experience with gaining sponsors for powerlifters? I told him that I would send some emails and do some research to try for some sponsors. There are a lot of powerlifting sponsors out there right now, but it's all about getting one to take him in as a sponsorship. He has experience with interviews in AK as well as working with some local sponsors in the area around Wasilla. I was just thinking that I would try to get some bigger sponsors to help him work his way to Nationals and the Arnold Classic in 2014.
    Make your workouts harder than hell so that in the end you will be able to see heaven.

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Matt Baller has got a beast bench.
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by arian11 View Post
    Matt Baller has got a beast bench.
    This. Dude is an animal.
    "Nutrition for powerlifting: If you are serious about it, you will eat f*cking everything and get strong as $hit." - HamburgerTrain
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163165741

ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    He has to be worth sponsoring. Either a super freak that blows everybody away or very marketable. How many people subscribe to his youtube channel? How many articles has he written? How many people follow his twitter feed(I can't believe this matters)? It's not just about being strong, it's about what your buddy can do for the sponsor.

If he already has thousands of people who listen to him then he is worth sponsoring, if he is just one more strong guy that nobody cares about then he is not.
    It'd be like staying fat while running marathons because it's more impressive to finish a marathon when you're overweight. It might be impressive in the short run, but in the long run it just doesn't make any sense. ~breathinglife

Raw competition lifts ....................Equipped
    Squat 661
    Bench 490...........................................666.9
    Dead 585

dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you hadn't capitalized it I would swear he was on drugs. What is going on with this forum? Where are my pants?

jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jordy1380 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah, he is pretty beast lol. I think that it's ridiculous that the guy doesn't even take any supplements. He calls me stupid for using them but I tell him I don't have freak genetics like he does. He just drinks like a gallon of milk every day rather than taking supplements and so far it's worked for him. That may hurt him in the realm of being sponsored by a supplement company. He does have a youtube channel which I think that he could do more with, but most of the videos are of his competition lifts and nothing else. He did do a fund raiser for St. Judes Hospital before the meet which he got almost $3000 for the hospital which I think is great! It also helps him to get his name out there a bit since he's doing charitable things like that.
    Make your workouts harder than hell so that in the end you will be able to see heaven.

Originally Posted by dtaps24 View Post
    If you hadn't capitalized it I would swear he was on drugs. What is going on with this forum? Where are my pants?
    Nope, he doesn't do any drugs or even take any supps at all. The guy doesn't believe in them. He was paranoid about even taking something like Immodium the night before a meet since they do drug testing at all meets he lifts in. He had some stomach issues before the Arnold lol hence the immodium comment. He's just got freak genetics for benching I guess!
    Last edited by jordy1380; 03-06-2013 at 01:43 PM.

dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dtaps24 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jordy1380 View Post
    Nope, he doesn't do any drugs or even take any supps at all. The guy doesn't believe in them. He was paranoid about even taking Immodium the night before a meet since they do drug testing at all meets he lifts in. He's just got freak genetics for benching I guess!
    Okay, here's my serious response because as you can see from my user title I have a serious side. You don't need to take a shot at other people's choices or highlight DRUG FREE when you're talking about these kinds of numbers. Sponsors don't really care. Highlight the bench, if you want to say it was in a tested fed, great, have a ball. The biggest sponsors out there off the top of my head are EliteFTS and Universal, suffice to say that I don't think they do random tests before signing guys. A 563 lbs. bench press is impressive whether you choose to compete in a SE or LE Fed.

Originally Posted by dtaps24 View Post
    Okay, here's my serious response because as you can see from my user title I have a serious side. You don't need to take a shot at other people's choices or highlight DRUG FREE when you're talking about these kinds of numbers. Sponsors don't really care. Highlight the bench, if you want to say it was in a tested fed, great, have a ball. The biggest sponsors out there off the top of my head are EliteFTS and Universal, suffice to say that I don't think they do random tests before signing guys. A 563 lbs. bench press is impressive whether you choose to compete in a SE or LE Fed.
    Yeah I saw that ;p and I wasn't intending to offend anyone that uses Performance Enhancers. I just think that it's more impressive if you aren't using them due to the fact that you can gain muscle and strength at a much faster rate if you are using Performance Enhancers. I don't have any experience with that field either but I do take supps. Regardless, yes, it is an impressive bench press and I just thought that it would add more shock factor considering the guy doesn't take anything but like I said this may be a negative piece to supp companies since they want their athletes taking their supps. Could just be a cheap sponsor too lol since they don't gotta give him any supps if he doesn't want.

Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000) Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000) Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000) Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000) Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000) Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000) Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000) Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000) Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000) Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000) Limitless7 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah I saw that ;p and I wasn't intending to offend anyone that uses Performance Enhancers. I just think that it's more impressive if you aren't using them due to the fact that you can gain muscle and strength at a much faster rate if you are using Performance Enhancers. I don't have any experience with that field either but I do take supps. Regardless, yes, it is an impressive bench press and I just thought that it would add more shock factor considering the guy doesn't take anything but like I said this may be a negative piece to supp companies since they want their athletes taking their supps. Could just be a cheap sponsor too lol since they don't gotta give him any supps if he doesn't want.
    His bench and numbers are much more impressive with you highlighting the fact he is drug free. You were right to do it.
    440/365/595 @ 165
    raw no wraps

ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShortDave has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah, he is pretty beast lol. I think that it's ridiculous that the guy doesn't even take any supplements. He calls me stupid for using them but I tell him I don't have freak genetics like he does. He just drinks like a gallon of milk every day rather than taking supplements and so far it's worked for him. That may hurt him in the realm of being sponsored by a supplement company. He does have a youtube channel which I think that he could do more with, but most of the videos are of his competition lifts and nothing else. He did do a fund raiser for St. Judes Hospital before the meet which he got almost $3000 for the hospital which I think is great! It also helps him to get his name out there a bit since he's doing charitable things like that.
    So not only does he not use supplements he tells people not to take them?
    Great way to get a sponsorship from a supplement company.

He competes raw so no equipment company is going to care.

He doesn't market himself or reach out to the online community of powerlifters (this is based on the fact that you are asking questions about sponsorship and he isn't) so when his picture is suddenly associated with a powerlifting product I will immediately say "who the hell is this guy?"

The best bet is to see if he can get some local sponsorship or completely change his approach to marketing himself online.
    It'd be like staying fat while running marathons because it's more impressive to finish a marathon when you're overweight. It might be impressive in the short run, but in the long run it just doesn't make any sense. ~breathinglife

Squat 661
    Dead 585

DropitPJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) DropitPJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) DropitPJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) DropitPJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) DropitPJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) DropitPJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) DropitPJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) DropitPJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) DropitPJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) DropitPJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) DropitPJ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This is are truthful and as RAW as it gets.

Originally Posted by ShortDave View Post
    He has to be worth sponsoring. Either a super freak that blows everybody away or very marketable. How many people subscribe to his youtube channel? How many articles has he written? How many people follow his twitter feed(I can't believe this matters)? It's not just about being strong, it's about what your buddy can do for the sponsor.

If he already has thousands of people who listen to him then he is worth sponsoring, if he is just one more strong guy that nobody cares about then he is not.
    Just Train.

So not only does he not use supplements he tells people not to take them?
    Great way to get a sponsorship from a supplement company.

He competes raw so no equipment company is going to care.

He doesn't market himself or reach out to the online community of powerlifters (this is based on the fact that you are asking questions about sponsorship and he isn't) so when his picture is suddenly associated with a powerlifting product I will immediately say "who the hell is this guy?"

The best bet is to see if he can get some local sponsorship or completely change his approach to marketing himself online.
    Right, but I think that he would change his attitude once he saw the chance for some sponsorship money. He is fairly new to the powerlifting world as he just started doing this last year. I always told him that he needed to get into powerlifting and when he did he is already breaking world records. I also think that he doesn't use supplements because they aren't really the cheapest thing in the world. Why spend $50-$100 a month on supplements when you can spend that money on something else and continue to make gains with his numbers that are already big. I don't think he even has consistent access to internet because he lives in Alaska which charges like $100+ a month for internet. He isn't a big time lifter yet so I'm asking people and being a good friend by helping him out and finding out ways to improve his 'fan base' if you will, to get sponsorship opportunities. I just started working on this today and I will be throwing several ideas out to him to get things in the works.

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Right, but I think that he would change his attitude once he saw the chance for some sponsorship money. He is fairly new to the powerlifting world as he just started doing this last year. I always told him that he needed to get into powerlifting and when he did he is already breaking world records. I also think that he doesn't use supplements because they aren't really the cheapest thing in the world. Why spend $50-$100 a month on supplements when you can spend that money on something else and continue to make gains with his numbers that are already big. I don't think he even has consistent access to internet because he lives in Alaska which charges like $100+ a month for internet. He isn't a big time lifter yet so I'm asking people and being a good friend by helping him out and finding out ways to improve his 'fan base' if you will, to get sponsorship opportunities. I just started working on this today and I will be throwing several ideas out to him to get things in the works.
    He's a strong dude, I hope he doesn't just sell himself to whatever garbage supplement just for some money. That is what you are making it sound like though. There are good supplements out there and they aren't that expensive. You can get several months worth of creatine monohydrate for ~$20. And creatine mono is one of the most tested supplements out there and shown to have tons of benefits for a strength athlete with virtually no negatives. So you would figure if someone that strong wants to do whatever it takes to be the best, they would sacrifice something else to pay $50 to have creatine mono for a year.

As for the no internet cuz it's expensive, that sucks. From what I've seen on these forums, you have to be willing to give back to the supplement companies. They will send you free supplements if you run a log for them and review the product. That means daily posts on the internet. Also, have a youtube page with a ton of subscribers and actively posting videos will help. So that could prove to be an issue for him. He may not get enough sponsorship money back from teh company to make paying $100+ a month for internet a viable option.
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

Canadian Powerlifter shanechurch's Avatar
    shanechurch will become famous soon enough. (+50) shanechurch will become famous soon enough. (+50) shanechurch will become famous soon enough. (+50) shanechurch will become famous soon enough. (+50) shanechurch will become famous soon enough. (+50) shanechurch will become famous soon enough. (+50) shanechurch will become famous soon enough. (+50) shanechurch will become famous soon enough. (+50) shanechurch will become famous soon enough. (+50) shanechurch will become famous soon enough. (+50) shanechurch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    here is a couple things he has to do...
    1. ask anyone and everyone for money. I'm not joking. If you can think of a store that he uses, ask them for money.
    2. don't be afraid to be told no.. for every place that says yes, there will be about 10 that say no.

the thing is, what does he have to offer? good at powerlifting? that doesn't matter. ask 5 people what powerlifting is, no one will say what it is. it means nothing to anyone outside of the sport.
    I just got a supplement sponsor, but it offers no money. and most of them don't offer money, just free stuff
    Shane Church
    SD Pharmaceuticals Athlete
    Pro Powerlifter
    PR's
    SQ-1036
    BN-644
    DL-749
    in the 242 lbs weight class

zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by shanechurch View Post
    here is a couple things he has to do...
    1. ask anyone and everyone for money. I'm not joking. If you can think of a store that he uses, ask them for money.
    2. don't be afraid to be told no.. for every place that says yes, there will be about 10 that say no.

the thing is, what does he have to offer? good at powerlifting? that doesn't matter. ask 5 people what powerlifting is, no one will say what it is. it means nothing to anyone outside of the sport.
    I just got a supplement sponsor, but it offers no money. and most of them don't offer money, just free stuff
    well if you're actually using the supps and not spending money on similar products then you're essentially being paid. at least in my mind lol. I'd love to have a sponsor. Hell just getting $100/month of whatever I wanted or just cash would be AWESOME.
    1708 total @220 Raw
    Improve my total every time I step on the platform.

Being a male is a matter of birth. However, being a "man" is a matter of choice.

Photo in Avi is not current, I'm way fatter now.

Dom87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dom87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dom87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dom87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dom87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dom87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dom87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dom87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dom87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dom87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dom87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by arian11 View Post
    He's a strong dude, I hope he doesn't just sell himself to whatever garbage supplement just for some money. That is what you are making it sound like though. There are good supplements out there and they aren't that expensive. You can get several months worth of creatine monohydrate for ~$20. And creatine mono is one of the most tested supplements out there and shown to have tons of benefits for a strength athlete with virtually no negatives. So you would figure if someone that strong wants to do whatever it takes to be the best, they would sacrifice something else to pay $50 to have creatine mono for a year.

As for the no internet cuz it's expensive, that sucks. From what I've seen on these forums, you have to be willing to give back to the supplement companies. They will send you free supplements if you run a log for them and review the product. That means daily posts on the internet. Also, have a youtube page with a ton of subscribers and actively posting videos will help. So that could prove to be an issue for him. He may not get enough sponsorship money back from teh company to make paying $100+ a month for internet a viable option.
    He's DRUG FREE. Did you miss that part!?

(not srs)

koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) koyongi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Even if he finds a sponsor, very few sponsored lifters get their travel paid for. Usually you just get free gear or supplements or something. He'd probably have better luck finding a local business or something or just doing some fundraising on his own.
    314/231/352/881@123

Thanks for all the tips guys!! I'm sure that he would appreciate anything that he can get, even if it's just gear. That's less money that he has to spend on gear for himself then...essentially getting paid in a different form IMO. Matt's a pretty great guy and I'm sure that he'd be willing to write articles and logs for companies as well. I was talking to him today and told him to start profiles on forums such as this to get his name out there. He told me that he is starting a blog in regards to powerlifting and he may start making videos of his workouts. He has done interviews with businesses in the community for a bit of popularity but that's in AK...quite a ways from the lower 48 and the only thing we hear about when Alaska is in the news is oil. Does anyone get that powerlifting magazine? I'd be curious if there will be something in that magazine about Matt considering it was a world record that he broke.

Does anyone get that powerlifting magazine? I'd be curious if there will be something in that magazine about Matt considering it was a world record that he broke.
    No offense intended to you or him as it's a very, very impressive bench but he didn't break a major world record, he broke a world record in a new weight category that essentially erased the past 30 years of records. If he were to break the all-time record then he would definitely be featured in a magazine and have some serious sponsors looking at him, until he beats Hoornstra (or somebody like that) or at least starts challenging him then there won't be a whole lot of excitement about your friend without him doing a lot of legwork.

Squat 661
    Dead 585

zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No offense intended to you or him as it's a very, very impressive bench but he didn't break a major world record, he broke a world record in a new weight category that essentially erased the past 30 years of records. If he were to break the all-time record then he would definitely be featured in a magazine and have some serious sponsors looking at him, until he beats Hoornstra (or somebody like that) or at least starts challenging him then there won't be a whole lot of excitement about your friend without him doing a lot of legwork.
    so basically if your name isn't lilliebridge, norris, spoto, seath, efferding, hoornstra, byrd, mendelson, rice, hickson, rubish, etc you're screwed.
    1708 total @220 Raw
    Improve my total every time I step on the platform.

Being a male is a matter of birth. However, being a "man" is a matter of choice.

Photo in Avi is not current, I'm way fatter now.

Originally Posted by zmcdole View Post
    so basically if your name isn't lilliebridge, norris, spoto, seath, efferding, hoornstra, byrd, mendelson, rice, hickson, rubish, etc you're screwed.
    No not at all, I am nothing special but I got sponsored because I went out and talked to companies that I was a patron of and some of them decided that they would help me out. Not a single one of them came to me unsolicited and offered to give me stuff. Those guys you mentioned will have sponsors coming to them based on their lifting, all the rest of us have to convince the sponsors that we are worth looking at.

Squat 661
    Dead 585

sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sopirate55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Like said before, most guys who get sponsored are getting free stuff from the company. If he's looking to get travel covered, then working the hometown hero route might be the way to go. Sounds like he was already involved in working at raising money for charity. The more people see him giving back, then the more willing they may be to give him money to help him get to the meet in orlando......and if it doesn't work out, he did a lot of great work for charity, and that's always a plus. It sounds to me that he needs to increase his profile, then make a run at the national companies. I know it sounds like whoring himself out but when you're in a sport that's not that known amoung the gen pop, you've got to sell that ****.

SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by koyongi View Post
    Even if he finds a sponsor, very few sponsored lifters get their travel paid for. Usually you just get free gear or supplements or something. He'd probably have better luck finding a local business or something or just doing some fundraising on his own.
    This. Could look into more fundraising type stuff rather than "sponsorship."
    ***Georgia Crew***

SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by zmcdole View Post
    There are tons of USAPL guys that are sponsored by Titan, Inzer, Quest, Con-crete, SSP, etc. Don't have to be one of those guys.

I'd be willing to bet Brian Siders got a lot more sponsorship than all of those guys put together throughout his career.
    ***Georgia Crew***

Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big Sexy J has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Who is Hickson sponsored by?
    All Time WR Squat: 785 @ 220 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0GtHNRdHeM
    Powerlifting Coach At Complete Human Performance (www.completehumanperformance.com)
    WongStwongTraining@gmail.com

Originally Posted by SPFjudge View Post
    There are tons of USAPL guys that are sponsored by Titan, Inzer, Quest, Con-crete, SSP, etc. Don't have to be one of those guys.

I'd be willing to bet Brian Siders got a lot more sponsorship than all of those guys put together throughout his career.
    But did those companies come up to them and just say "hey, we want to sponsor you" or did the lifters actually go out and seek sponsorship. If they just lifted well in meets and sponsorships were thrown at them then I retract my previous posts, but for me and my friends who are sponsored each of us had to go to companies and give them our little spiel. For me I don't really blog, ******** or twat so I pretty much appeal to their generosity, "I am a local athlete who does pretty well here and in the states, I've been shopping at your store since I moved to the city, blah blah blah so on and so forth" Now even though they don't see any major return on their investment I don't have to pay for all my travel costs when I go to international meets.

My buddy is an amateur bodybuilder and he went after a fusion sponsorship and now he gets a couple hundred bucks a month in supplements but he makes a billion updates a day and a weekly training video. That's far too much effort for me.

Squat 661
    Dead 585

Fair enough and I didn't mean to offend if I did, you seem like a good guy trying to do right by your buddy, so here's the problem I see with your initial post:

He totaled 1836 which might not seem like that much because there are 'Raw' lifters out there right now that are pushing an over 2000# total, but he is in the DRUG FREE category, which a lot of those guys totalling over 2000 are not.
    There's no reason to include that, that reads like a shot at other lifters, many of whom have sponsors, the very same sponsors that I think you would want to approach about sponsoring your friend. Here's the thing, I am willing to bet that if Dave Ricks, who I consider to be probably the best all around lifter in the world based partially on the fact that he competes tested, doesn't go around shouting that he's DRUG FREE, he probably lives and lets live and lets his lifting (in a tested fed) do the talking. I find the fact that he hit that lift in a tested fed very impressive, but I don't think it's a top selling point and there's definitely no reason to go all rhesus monkey and start flinging **** around, just say he hit a 563 bench in the USAPL (anybody that cares and/or would consider sponsorship realizes this means it was tested) and go from there. Just friendly advice.
    Last edited by dtaps24; 03-06-2013 at 08:55 PM.

makes a juicebox wet dannyautrey's Avatar
    dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dannyautrey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Matt definitely needs to raise money around the community. He's an incredibly nice guy, but he'll have to be aggressive. I know how he feels about travel. Its the reason that I haven't done any national meets. Its just too damn expensive to leave Alaska.

-aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000)
    He does have a youtube channel which I think that he could do more with, but most of the videos are of his competition lifts and nothing else.
    Dat dere is the problem. What your friends really needs now is exposure. You see tons of dopes running around as sponsored athletes, and a lot of it is simply because of popularity and accessibility. Getting exposure with social media like ******** and Youtube - showing off training, even some stupid stuff every once in a while - goes a long way in doing that. It can at least get him some free clothing, right?