md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Power Rack for 91" Ceiling

Hey guys. I've been doing research on a power rack but still need some advice after pouring over countless threads and reviews. I've got a spacious unfinished basement, but the expected floor to ceiling height when finished will be 91". Before measuring, I was getting my heart set on the Dark Horse or Rouge R3, but they both are 90" tall. I'm not terribly experienced with power racks, but that seems like cutting it too close - especially for pull ups. So now I'm a bit stuck. My alternatives are to go with the Powertec PR or the Rouge R3 shorty...or possibly even standard R3 with upside down monkey bar pull-up add on.

What do you more experienced people think? I'd like to be able to do over head press inside the rack but I'm 6'1 so that may not even be possible under that short of ceiling with or without the rack. I also like the monkey bar pull-up bar, but I'm flexible on it. For starting, I primarily want a good, versatile rack and a dip attachment. Other features are great but not required to start. All advice appreciated so I can move on with my life.

Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by md99 View Post
    All advice appreciated so I can move on with my life.
    I know what you mean...I would not get a premium rack in short version.

I also have 1" clearance with joists. You can get the R3 in 7.5" and the blackwidow swissbar mounted to the front at less than 7ft so you will have enough head room and rack wont look junky. Upside down money bar looks kind of stupid, but at least you will have it for later if you ever move. So both are good options.

Wearing shoes I could not press in a rack either, but Id still like the full height.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #6 []---[]
    Rogue R3 Crew -[]--(ಠ_ಠ)--[]-

Isn't it weird that pirates would go out to shore looking for buried treasure but the real treasure was in the friendships they were making?

"Where the **** are we at?" -Christopher Columbus

Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    BTW I mean this:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1033700203

I think its 120USD or so...
    []---[] Equipment Crew #6 []---[]
    Rogue R3 Crew -[]--(ಠ_ಠ)--[]-

Isn't it weird that pirates would go out to shore looking for buried treasure but the real treasure was in the friendships they were making?

"Where the **** are we at?" -Christopher Columbus

Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000)
    You really don't have a problem here at all. Sorinex will cut a rack down for you for an additional $50, and a 6 week lead time. Promaxima will do the same on their $700 FW-163 power rack, for an additional $50 and 2 week lead time. I had that Promaxima rack cut to 81", and I'm really happy with it. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by Paulie_G; 03-06-2013 at 07:12 AM.

md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) md99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks Accutron - awesome advice. That swissbar seems like a great way to go. I recently bought the house so I don't anticipate moving anytime soon, so the swissbar is probably better than the monkey.

Paulie, those are some good things for me to look at. I guess my follow up question would be what clearance do you and others recommend between the top of the rack and the ceiling? 1", 6", 12" etc...?

StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'll confirm when I get home but I believe my basement is 91" and I have the Dark Horse and love it. Don't think you'd have any problems.
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #35 ▪██─────██▪

DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    EFS and Legend will also cut a rack for a small fee.

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I would just chime in to say don't forget any extra height you would get from gym flooring...like plywood or rubber mats. It's also nice to have enough clearance for a pull-up above your rack so being right there clearance wise kind of stinks.

sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Suggestion for low ceiling overhead presses:

Back in my youth I installed a chinning bar in the stairwell to my basement. Gave me lots of headroom.

Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by md99 View Post
    Thanks Accutron - awesome advice. That swissbar seems like a great way to go. I recently bought the house so I don't anticipate moving anytime soon, so the swissbar is probably better than the monkey.

Paulie, those are some good things for me to look at. I guess my follow up question would be what clearance do you and others recommend between the top of the rack and the ceiling? 1", 6", 12" etc...?
    If you think about it, you really only need maybe 8-10" clearance for chins. My ceilings are about 89" from stall mat to ceiling. I had the rack cut to 81". This worked perfect for me.

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Paulie_G View Post

If you think about it, you really only need maybe 8-10" clearance for chins.
    You can easily make clearance (headroom) by hanging a set of rings (or similar) from the ceiling or from the upper cross member on a rack.

I've recently hung a close grip rowing handle http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/CA4...riangle/68.htm and a wide grip bar http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/CAR...ow-bar/173.htm from my ceiling.

It has significantly improved my chin ups, and added renewed variety to my program.
    Last edited by daniel327; 03-06-2013 at 09:29 PM.

DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrForce will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by sherman View Post
    Suggestion for low ceiling overhead presses:

Interesting idea. What are these called and where do you get them?

sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by DrForce View Post
    The split ring hangers are sold in most hardware stores (plumbing section) and plumbing supply stores. Some more info here:
    www.shermworks.com/allpipestuff.pdf

817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by DrForce View Post
    Another idea is get a rackable cambered squat bar and use that for OHP most of them have 36 inches of clearence on the inside see pic

Here is the link to a better pic:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cambered-Squ...70994202203%26

Only problem w/ using that bar to OHP if you use a wide grip you cant use the bar, also the rackable squat bar is fatter than a standard bar
    Last edited by 817boy; 03-07-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    It surprises me how many people refuse to buy equipment from Elitefts because its too expensive but they will buy equipment from their competitors, then continue to go on EFS website to educate themselves for FREE

jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I had half an inch clearance when my rack was in my basement. I like that I was able to screw 2x4s to the floor joists inside the rack (the top of the rack) locking it in place and preventing any wobble.

StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) StephanBB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'd definately go for the Dark Horse without a doubt and heres why!

1. It's ~90" tall. If you're sure you have at least 91" ceiling height your good.

2. Pull ups are not going to be a problem.

2a. The fat grip pull up bar at the rear is ~80" off the ground. Plenty of head room. You could even mount it lower if you wanted bringing it down 4 more inches.

2b. The standard dip bar does not have to be attached to the top cross member. There are other holes on the front uprights that allow for a mounting height of ~79.5 or 83.5.

2c. Then you always have the option to go to black widow or edge to fabricate a custom height dip bar.

That's my 2 cents.
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #35 ▪██─────██▪

There's some great advice here. Thanks guys. I'll give my final set up some more thought and then pull the trigger soon. Since I'm still quite new to this I keep being tempted to just find something cheap, but I know in the long run I'll be happier to do it right the first time.