sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

more 2" washer excitement

We have a really great fastener store in Central NY, Hiawatha Fasteners in Syracuse. I was there shopping a few weeks ago and I checked to see if they carried 2" flat washers. Sure enough they had a bin full.

I pawed through the bin to see if there was much variation in thickness. As far as I could eyeball they had two thicknesses. I bought one of each. When I got them home I did some measurements. Fatty, the thick one is .187" thick and weighed .64 lb. Bones, the thin one is .161" thick and weighs .56 lb. About a 14% difference.

The store sells the washers in bulk. I paid $3.40 for the pair.

Just passing the data on.

Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Those are pretty large washers I have never been able to find a pair that large.

Do you know their intended original application? (I mean outside of plate weights...)

Thanks for posting, good idea.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #6 []---[]
    Rogue R3 Crew -[]--(ಠ_ಠ)--[]-

Isn't it weird that pirates would go out to shore looking for buried treasure but the real treasure was in the friendships they were making?

"Where the **** are we at?" -Christopher Columbus

sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Accutron View Post
    Those are pretty large washers I have never been able to find a pair that large.

Do you know their intended original application? (I mean outside of plate weights...)

Thanks for posting, good idea.
    The idea came from several other forum members, it's not mine. I have no clue what they are used for, but find a 2" bolt on something and one of these beauties will probably be nearby.

Registered you, sir. trimble006's Avatar
    trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Any square washers? I've been looking for a few...
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #54 ▪█─────█▪

-✘- Edmonton Oilers -✘-
    -✘- Toronto Blue Jays -✘-

Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by sherman View Post
    The idea came from several other forum members, it's not mine. I have no clue what they are used for, but find a 2" bolt on something and one of these beauties will probably be nearby.
    Ive never seen anything use a 2" washer.

In Canada we have concrete-cast street light fixtures and those are not 2" bolted. Buuildings I dont think are either, nor are traffic lights, because Ive checked.

If you dont know what Im talking about they cement in the ground 4 threads sticking out, then the poles just bolt on....giant lights in parking lots have very small looking bolts to hold them up and its all raised standing on the threads as I recall.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #6 []---[]
    Rogue R3 Crew -[]--(ಠ_ಠ)--[]-

Isn't it weird that pirates would go out to shore looking for buried treasure but the real treasure was in the friendships they were making?

"Where the **** are we at?" -Christopher Columbus

Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Exciting indeed!

I've seem some utility poles that use close to 2" anchor bolts at their base.

I saw bolts way bigger than 2" on the Queen Mary. I would imagine most all giant washers sold at retail are used for something other than originally intended.

twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just for arguments sake, and since you could clearly see that there were two different sizes, why didn't you buy four thick or fourthin washers and check the difference of weight between them. I may not be an engineer, but even I know that if you have two items of the same material and and general dimensions, other than thickness, they will weigh different.

This test was kind of like taking a .5 and a 1.0 lb. micro plate, weighing them and telling me they have a different weight than each other.

Nice scientific experiment Sherm !

I'd rep you, but I'm on spread with you...NOT !
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

RL Erik 'Iwhspr Fe comes' matrix563's Avatar
    matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i just went to a store near me that sells them, and they only had 2 inch washers. they were too big. i need a 1 and 7/8 inch one. the 1.75 inch waser almost fit on my tricep bar. almost. like if i used a hammer i could have got it on . the washers are oversized. dunno if the ones sherm looked at were, but the ones where i went were. the tricep bar is 1.95 inches (measured with a micronometer sorry if i spelled it wrong). they estimated the 1 7/8 inch size washer as exactly 2 inches.

the 2 2 inch washers they had were .58 pounds each. i forgot to measure the thickness but on their site it says they are the same thickness as the fatty washer sherm got.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/search/p...r01:^1-7/8"$|~

according to this its uss washers that i linked too, and they are 7 gauge
    http://www.americanfastener.com/fasteners/washers.asp
    Last edited by matrix563; 03-06-2013 at 07:29 AM.
    ▪█───────█▪ Equipment Crew #46 ▪█───────█▪
    ▪█───────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #21 ▪█───────█▪
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #33 ||---||

~ 5th dimensional being ~

Originally Posted by trimble006 View Post
    Any square washers? I've been looking for a few...
    How many?

Originally Posted by twodog View Post
    Just for arguments sake, and since you could clearly see that there were two different sizes, why didn't you buy four thick or fourthin washers and check the difference of weight between them. I may not be an engineer, but even I know that if you have two items of the same material and and general dimensions, other than thickness, they will weigh different.

This test was kind of like taking a .5 and a 1.0 lb. micro plate, weighing them and telling me they have a different weight than each other.

Nice scientific experiment Sherm !

I'd rep you, but I'm on spread with you...NOT !
    I wasn't trying to prove anything. Just curious abut the weight difference. Sure you could look at the two and tell they don't weigh the same, but that doesn't tell you anything about what each one weighs. Now I know.

Originally Posted by matrix563 View Post
    i just went to a store near me that sells them, and they only had 2 inch washers. they were too big. i need a 1 and 7/8 inch one. the 1.75 inch waser almost fit on my tricep bar. almost. like if i used a hammer i could have got it on . the washers are oversized. dunno if the ones sherm looked at were, but the ones where i went were. the tricep bar is 1.95 inches (measured with a micronometer sorry if i spelled it wrong). they estimated the 1 7/8 inch size washer as exactly 2 inches.

the 2 2 inch washers they had were .58 pounds each. i forgot to measure the thickness but on their site it says they are the same thickness as the fatty washer sherm got.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/search/p...r01:^1-7/8"$|~

according to this its uss washers that i linked too, and they are 7 gauge
    http://www.americanfastener.com/fasteners/washers.asp
    Here is a more complete set of specs: http://www.almabolt.com/pages/catalo...dimensions.htm
    I bought the 2" washers which have a 2 1/8" ID. You can see that there is a range of allowable thicknesses. The Fastenal spec for the washers includes this range.

Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000)
    Moral of the story: Bring a small digital scale with you.

OK.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #5 ()---()
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #10 -!!!---!!!-

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
    Winston Churchill

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
    Mahatma Gandhi

mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Interesting.

I got a couple of 2" washers from work, though the ones we have are machined and hardened, they both weigh spot on 290 grams or 0.64lb.

Reason I got them was after reading the Olympic weight plate weigh in thread I decided to weigh all my plates and found one of my 20kg plates is spot on 20.0 and the other was 19.7!!! So I will be using a washer whenever I use the 19.7kg plate to bring it almost spot on with the other plate.

I also grabbed a couple of magnets, both weighing 165g or 0.36lb to correct some smaller plates.

mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Oh, another idea I had was to use 2" internal diameter pipe (provided it slides onto the bar) and cutting it in matching pairs in different sizes, (can file and grind once cut to get equal weights)

matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    got these. they weigh half a pound each. is 4 of these enough or do i need more? like 5 for each side, so i can switch to 2.5's and add on half a pound to each side to the next 2.5 increment?

got these. they weigh half a pound each. is 4 of these enough or do i need more? like 5 for each side, so i can switch to 2.5's and add on half a pound to each side to the next 2.5 increment?

563, are those USS 1 7/8" washers (ID 2.00")? By my calculations, the 1 7/8's can weigh between .65 lb and .47 lb.

By the way, what did the washers cost?

alot more than yours did.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Maybe just four per side?

1) 0.5
    2) 1.0
    3) 1.5
    4) 2.0
    Then take all four off and put on a 2.5lb plate.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Thanks kbkb i had a brain fart this morning lol. Sherm they each weighed .525 pounds. 4 = 2.1 pounds. My large plates are probably off so that is close enough