warsumm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question maintenance calories calculation

Hello all,

I have just completed a 20LB bulking session over the past several months and now it is time to cut. I've done a few of the online maintenance calorie calculations and they seem a little low, but I just wanted to hear a handful of different responses to what y'all think my maintenance should be at. here are my stats:

Weight 164

Height-5'-9"

BF:18-19%

Light to Moderate activity level. Weight train 3x/week. Will begin doing cardio 1x-2x now that I am cutting. Did little to no cardio during bulk. Desk job, light activity outside of the gym.

Thanks for any help!

S

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    doesnt really matter because everyone is different. If you were adding 1 lb a week, eat 1000 less calories per day to lose 1.5 pound a week, eat 750 less for 1 pound a week, and adjust. You should know how many calories you need if you were bulking and tracking it anyhow. You will need to lower it more than you think since there is slightly lower TEF.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

Thanks for the advice. One last thing: is it advisable to, instead of going straight from a +500 bulk to a -500 calorie cut(ie: 1,000 cal swing), just do maintenance for a week or two to "ease" into the cut. I can start a cut no problem straight from the bulk but just curious as to what others think. Thanks again!

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    go straight into full cut mode because thyroid and all the other good hormones are at their highest under a surplus. You may be hungry but if you are going to take EC stack its a moot point. You should always go to maintenance for a certain period of time after extended deficits however, for you if you got to around 10% bf do it for 2-3 weeks then go into a surplus.
    Fat tends to oxidize slower as you get leaner so make adjustments after 3 weeks if you arent losing fast enough down the line, 1-2 weeks generally isnt enough time due to water weight fluctuations.

Good luck on the cut
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

thanks a lot for your quick and helpful responses! Im looking forward to the cut!

Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Unless you are cutting for the summer I would honestly recommend you continue bulking at your weight.

I am cutting for the summer. Will start a new bulk about mid-late august.

One last question. Just so I have my macros down. here is a sample base components of a diet that I have used the last couple of days:

Protein:200gx 4=800 calories
    Fat: 75g x 9=675 calories
    Carbs:180g x 4= 720 calories

=2195 calories. My maint. weight is ~ 2690 and I am looking to cut a LB. a week. Is this still too high? If I am doing 40P/20F/40C shouldnt my fat be much less than this? And is it better to try to get most of the of the fat percentage from good fats? I am confused. thanks for any suggestions!

jessyToo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jessyToo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by warsumm View Post
    One last question. Just so I have my macros down. here is a sample base components of a diet that I have used the last couple of days:

Protein:200gx 4=800 calories
    Fat: 75g x 9=675 calories
    Carbs:180g x 4= 720 calories

=2195 calories. My maint. weight is ~ 2690 and I am looking to cut a LB. a week. Is this still too high? If I am doing 40P/20F/40C shouldnt my fat be much less than this? And is it better to try to get most of the of the fat percentage from good fats? I am confused. thanks for any suggestions!
    hi, you'll need 2401 kcal/day for maintenance. Minus 20% and you are at 1921. With 40/40/20 (which is reasonable) you'll be at 192g protein, 192g carbs and 43g fat. See attachment.
    btw. how can I include these attachment pictures into my posts?
    Attached Images
    Certified Fitness Nutrition Coach
    Books for Bodybuilding: www.books-for-bodybuilding.info
    Free Bodybuilding Tool: www.bodymanagementprogram.com

wow. Thanks! so, just so i am clear. i am only to get 387 calories a day from fat? i have seen a couple other posts which suggested .4-.5g of fat per LB of BW. Just wanting to confirm but this makes sense. thanks a lot!!

one last note. on the above graph, i should be at Moderate, not light activity. Could you please either redo that graph for me very quickly or provide me with a link to it? Thanks!

jessyToo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jessyToo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    wow. Thanks! so, just so i am clear. i am only to get 387 calories a day from fat? i have seen a couple other posts which suggested .4-.5g of fat per LB of BW. Just wanting to confirm but this makes sense. thanks a lot!!
    I always go by % as also suggested in most literature. 15-20% is ideal. If you want to take further adjustments, track your meals, training or progress, check out the link in my sig. Is the one I use for all my cuts & bulks. it's free with the code. hope I could help

one last note. on the above graph, i should be at Moderate, not light activity. Could you please either redo that graph for me very quickly or provide me with a link to it? Thanks!
    sure, there you go:
    Attached Images

You been a great help! i see by the link that it costs $$ to access the graph you showed me earlier. Would be so kind as to plug in moderate activity in the last one and repost it?

AWESOME!!! Thanks man! So my 2190 is pretty close, but I really need to lower the fat cals. ok, great! Thanks again!

You been a great help! i see by the link that it costs $$ to access the graph you showed me earlier. Would be so kind as to plug in moderate activity in the last one and repost it?
    Not if you use GETFIT13 as coupon code. Then it's free

Ha! Sweet! Thanks again,. Youve been a great help!

is there a distinction, in this context, between good and bad fats? I ask because I had been, during the bulk, consuming 1TBSP of flaxseed oil a day(=14g fat)...I assume Im gonna have to knock that s^&t off during the cut, right?

is there a distinction, in this context, between good and bad fats? I ask because I had been, during the bulk, consuming 1TBSP of flaxseed oil a day(=14g fat)...I assume Im gonna have to knock that s^&t off during the cut, right?
    1 TBSP is enough of flaxeed per day. Remember that you also consume fat with your normal meals. I would suggest tracking your meals (if you don't already do it). I personally like to get my fat from salmon, almonds, etc. Try to keep with good fats and avoid any transfats. You could also supplement with salmon oil dragee but as said, flaxseed is fine.

Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by jessyToo View Post
    hi, you'll need 2401 kcal/day for maintenance. Minus 20% and you are at 1921. With 40/40/20 (which is reasonable) you'll be at 192g protein, 192g carbs and 43g fat. See attachment.
    btw. how can I include these attachment pictures into my posts?
    43g's of fat seems very low! Howd you come up with that?
    Eat. Sleep. Lift.

cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    @jessytoo....how do i access the charts? I subscribed and created a login but dont know where to go after that. Ive been browsing the website but dont know where to go.

Oh, Im doing all the math right now and have been tracking so ill have it down pat, but it seems excessive to get 13g of fat out of 43 just from a TBSP flaxseed oil, Doesnt leave me with muich room throughout a 15 hour day for the other 30 grams, so I'll probably a.) use it more sparingly and b.)eat more fish.

damn, 20 g of fat in a 6 oz pork chop!? I love pork chops, too...gonna have to make some changes here.

Originally Posted by cvarricchio1 View Post
    @jessytoo....how do i access the charts? I subscribed and created a login but dont know where to go after that. Ive been browsing the website but dont know where to go.
    Just log in and go in the menu under "Member Area" --> "Download" --> 1.0 --> Download now

cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks man

Originally Posted by jessyToo View Post
    Just log in and go in the menu under "Member Area" --> "Download" --> 1.0 --> Download now
    Is this pretty accurate? ive been looking for something like this for awhile now and if it is, im going to use it a lot.

sorry, typo. it's 48 grams of fat not 43. that =20%. seems low when i look at what i need to eat, but it is what it is. would anyone else like to weigh in(no pun intended) on the proper fat% during a cut?

43g's of fat seems very low! Howd you come up with that?

its supposed to be 48.

9 calories in 1 g of fat= 432 cals=20% of 2165 cals.

sorry, typo. it's 48 grams of fat not 43. that =20%. seems low when i look at what i need to eat, but it is what it is. would anyone else like to weigh in(no pun intended) on the proper fat% during a cut?
    You could increase the fat if you like. 20% is a healthy number but there is no problem in increasing it durin a cut. Just remember to lower carbs and/or protein to compensate