alecsutzu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Very sharp pain in my knee when I flex

Hello guys.
    First of all, I used the search function and I haven't found an answer to my question.

So, let me start from the beginning.
    In August 2012, I twisted my left knee. Something popped, it got swollen for about 1 week. I iced it, rested it, and it got better.
    When I saw that after the swelling got down, that I had my strength back and I had no stability issues, I thought (and still hope) I hadn't torn anything.
    After about 3 weeks my knee was feeling better, so I started training legs again. The whole deal: leg extension, squats, leg press, lunges, flexes, stiff legged deadlifts , in that exact order.
    Everything was a ok, since two weeks ago, when I was trying to do some hanging bent knee leg raises, for lower abs, when a sharp pain struck my knee.
    Today the pain is still there, but here comes the strange part.
    If I squat (body weight), or if I sit on my tibia, or if I just sit in a squating position, IT DOESN'T HURT, but if I try to bring my knee to my chest, or bring my heel to my glute, I get a very sharp pain in the exterior front side of my knee. The pain lasts for about 15 seconds and it goes away, until I flex my leg again.
    Yesterday I was training back, and when doing my last set of Pull Ups I bent my knee (without thinking), so I can get one more rep, I lost my grip and almost fell on my face.

I am going to see a doctor next friday, but until then, does anyone have any ideas what that pain is about?
    It's freaking me out.

No one?
    Nothing?

preacher of simplicity godsamurai's Avatar
    godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i had broken bones three times, probably more if I think about incidents when I was a lot younger.
    but the recent events include breaking toe, knuckle (where the little finger and index finger is), and middle finger nail (by hitting with 45pds dumbell), and the ankle (by kicking the hard punching box wrong way).

For my ankle, if I stretch (or squeeze) in certain angle, it would hurt, it's been almost 5 months and it's a lot better but the subtle pain still exist. Most likely this pain will be permanent if it doesn't get removed, but I have no problem with that as long as I don't make that certain angle.

Same for my knuckle, i punched hard stuffs and it hurted lil bit, and realized it was broken after because I can see some crack when I make fist and theres no crack on the other hand. I don't feel pain but if I stretch in certain ange I feel somewhat uncomfortable in that knuckle, but it doesn't really bother me at all.

if you didn't see the doctor on the same date you got injured, chances are the bone will be remained dislocated forever. But it's not the end of the world, the bone has ability to heal itself but it wont just look the same. That's why people get surgery but its costly and painful. If you did see the doctor on the same date of injury and got treated with bone supporter that you wrap around with clothes and metals around it, bones will be back to almost perfectly normal.
    but this isn't the case for every injuries, esp if bone fractures are broken, you can't put those back to original place unless you find really expensive surgery who would put all the fracures back to where it belongs. if you are rich, go for it. (I took xray on the little finger and I can see bone fractures are spreaded.)

just dont freak out because if it was seroius injury u cant even move that leg, like breaking the major bones by car accident and you will be disabled for life. You are moving the leg so it is most likely broken bone fractures or just tendon/joints problem. (That's what I think my ankle is actually.)

doctor will give you answer anyway but keep icing or hot water massage, try light stretching and I suggest to avoid any exercise that will put pressure for your knee for now. You also want to eat foods that prevent inflammation because people who get injury usually gets inflammation and it can get you worse. Curry is pretty good and personally I like it because it's economical when making food.
    Last edited by godsamurai; 03-05-2013 at 02:11 AM.
    Dymatize ISO-100 protein: 25g protein, 1 carb, 0 fat, 0 lactose, 0 sugar
    That's all you need.

Personal Dymatize protein review (2011):

theNorthPole has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theNorthPole has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theNorthPole has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theNorthPole has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theNorthPole has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theNorthPole has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theNorthPole has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theNorthPole has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theNorthPole has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theNorthPole has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theNorthPole has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by alecsutzu View Post
    Hello guys.
    First of all, I used the search function and I haven't found an answer to my question.

So, let me start from the beginning.
    In August 2012, I twisted my left knee. Something popped, it got swollen for about 1 week. I iced it, rested it, and it got better.
    When I saw that after the swelling got down, that I had my strength back and I had no stability issues, I thought (and still hope) I hadn't torn anything.
    After about 3 weeks my knee was feeling better, so I started training legs again. The whole deal: leg extension, squats, leg press, lunges, flexes, stiff legged deadlifts , in that exact order.
    Everything was a ok, since two weeks ago, when I was trying to do some hanging bent knee leg raises, for lower abs, when a sharp pain struck my knee.
    Today the pain is still there, but here comes the strange part.
    If I squat (body weight), or if I sit on my tibia, or if I just sit in a squating position, IT DOESN'T HURT, but if I try to bring my knee to my chest, or bring my heel to my glute, I get a very sharp pain in the exterior front side of my knee. The pain lasts for about 15 seconds and it goes away, until I flex my leg again.
    Yesterday I was training back, and when doing my last set of Pull Ups I bent my knee (without thinking), so I can get one more rep, I lost my grip and almost fell on my face.

I am going to see a doctor next friday, but until then, does anyone have any ideas what that pain is about?
    It's freaking me out.
    Chill and wait for docAppointment. I've injured my knees a few times, and find that time is the friend. One time my left knee swelled up real good like, and the x ray said I had liquid on it (due to falling). It took a few months, but eventually healed. For now, just don't do exercises that involve the knee.

Thank you guys.

Update:
    Now it hurts when I squat! (body weight) And I don't mean training. Just 1 simple squat.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    No one?
    Nothing?
    Can't make a proper diagnosis without some actual injury-site information.

Post your X-Rays and MRI results for viewing.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

I got my MRI result.
    This is a rough translation from Romanian to English. I hope you guys understand what it means.

- Low grade degenerative lesions in both menisci.
    - Areas of hyper signal coverage plot in cartilage adjacent lateral femoral condyle anterior horn meniscal the subchondral bone edema associated.
    - Plot areas of hyper signal in the lateral patellar cartilage retro cover.

And the X-Ray revealed patellar tracking disorder.

My question is, do I need surgical intervention, or can this heal with some PT and exercise? Maybe some anti inflammatory treatment?

I know the patellar disorder can be corrected by strengthening the VMO.

LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50) LuckSide will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I got my MRI result.
    This is a rough translation from Romanian to English. I hope you guys understand what it means.

- Low grade degenerative lesions in both menisci.
    - Areas of hyper signal coverage plot in cartilage adjacent lateral femoral condyle anterior horn meniscal the subchondral bone edema associated.
    - Plot areas of hyper signal in the lateral patellar cartilage retro cover.

And the X-Ray revealed patellar tracking disorder.

My question is, do I need surgical intervention, or can this heal with some PT and exercise? Maybe some anti inflammatory treatment?

I know the patellar disorder can be corrected by strengthening the VMO.
    Again, ask the doctor about the best course of action.
    College Football Training Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152135513

Maxs:
    Barbell Bench Press - 295 lbs
    Squat - 455 lbs
    Deadlift - 425 lbs
    Hang Clean - 270 lbs