Thread: Carbs Vs Fat

Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Carbs Vs Fat

I'm currently gaining weight. Been pretty successful for my first attempt. I've gained 15 lbs since I started in October, and it looks good. I'm not as defined as I want to be around the mid-section, but it still looks okay.

I've been taking in a lot of fat and avoiding starchy carbs unless after a workout. For example, breakfast after my workout is where my protein bar, bread/pasta, fruit come in. After that, I'm only eating fats and proteins along with dairy to get the calories up.

However I'm constantly conflicted. I avoid the carbs once I get them in the morning because I want to be defined, but doesn't all the fat affect my body anyway? I feel like I may be going in circles.

Fat helps me get my calories. Been eating olive oil, peanut butter, cheese, avocados... my diet is pretty much 50% fats. Am I wasting my time trying to avoid carbs and sticking to fats/protein? I'd rather be eating 40%+ in protein but it's too difficult taking so much food with me to work, not to mention meat is too lean and dense = low calories and feeling like gagging when taking in to much.

Thoughts? Thanks for the help!

chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chillaxbroseph is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Delephant View Post
    I'm currently gaining weight. Been pretty successful for my first attempt. I've gained 15 lbs since I started in October, and it looks good. I'm not as defined as I want to be around the mid-section, but it still looks okay.

I've been taking in a lot of fat and avoiding starchy carbs unless after a workout. For example, breakfast after my workout is where my protein bar, bread/pasta, fruit come in. After that, I'm only eating fats and proteins along with dairy to get the calories up.

However I'm constantly conflicted. I avoid the carbs once I get them in the morning because I want to be defined, but doesn't all the fat affect my body anyway? I feel like I may be going in circles.

Fat helps me get my calories. Been eating olive oil, peanut butter, cheese, avocados... my diet is pretty much 50% fats. Am I wasting my time trying to avoid carbs and sticking to fats/protein? I'd rather be eating 40%+ in protein but it's too difficult taking so much food with me to work, not to mention meat is too lean and dense = low calories and feeling like gagging when taking in to much.

A caloric surplus in the absence of proper macronutrient partitioning and weight training makes you fat, not dietary fat or carbs.

A lot of what you believe about nutrition is completely false. It's not your fault, as the media is the first to circulate this garbage, but take some time to read the stickies and disabuse the false ideas you hold.

jasontds has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasontds has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasontds has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasontds has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasontds has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasontds has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasontds has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasontds has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasontds has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasontds has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasontds has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Taking a lot of food with you to work and having people make fun of you for doing it might happen, but don't let them discourage you. From what I know you want to stay away from Fructose unless right after working out and eat starches instead if bulking. As chilla said though read the stickes to get advice. I am currently eating 40%c, 30%f, 30%p not that you should, but it seems balanced. I take a small blender to work every day and use it in the cafeteria 3-4 times a day. You get used to hearing things and just ignore them.

Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000) Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000) Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000) Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000) Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000) Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000) Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000) Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000) Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000) Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000) Haveboards is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jasontds View Post
    Taking a lot of food with you to work and having people make fun of you for doing it might happen, but don't let them discourage you. From what I know you want to stay away from Fructose unless right after working out and eat starches instead if bulking. As chilla said though read the stickes to get advice. I am currently eating 40%c, 30%f, 30%p not that you should, but it seems balanced. I take a small blender to work every day and use it in the cafeteria 3-4 times a day. You get used to hearing things and just ignore them.

This is terrible advice. No need to avoid fructose or carry meals and blenders around like a retard. Face palm.

OP why are you avoiding a major macro Nutrient when trying to gain LBM?

Seriously you need to read the stickies and lose your unfounded fear of carbs.

Carbs are your friend. Why are you avoiding carbs??

Registered User transformerchad's Avatar
    transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Haveboards View Post
    This is terrible advice. No need to avoid fructose or carry meals and blenders around like a retard. Face palm.

OP why are you avoiding a major macro Nutrient when trying to gain LBM?

Seriously you need to read the stickies and lose your unfounded fear of carbs.

Carbs are your friend. Why are you avoiding carbs??
    This . U want to gain weight but u avoid a very important macro nutrient? in my experience , on high protein / high fat diet with low carbs i tend to feel weak in the gym , lifts drop , gains drop , weight drops (lots of water weight) , and i look flat .... High protein with moderate - high carbs and low-modertae fats is a lot more balanced macro nutrient ratio , i feel strong , muscles look full , i have energy and i even dropped bodyfat because i stay at maintanance... trial and error , try eating carbs for a few weeks and track your progress , you will see a difference .

Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10) Delephant is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yes but what about definition? I don't just want to look fat for the winter and ripped for the summer. I want to look good all year long. I'd like my abs to show most of the time =/ doesn't this require reducing body fat by diet? I figured it'd be harder because it just means eating cleaner but still maintaining high calorie intake.

rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100)
    as long as its nutritious its good

ObiJuanK is on a distinguished road. (+10) ObiJuanK is on a distinguished road. (+10) ObiJuanK is on a distinguished road. (+10) ObiJuanK is on a distinguished road. (+10) ObiJuanK is on a distinguished road. (+10) ObiJuanK is on a distinguished road. (+10) ObiJuanK is on a distinguished road. (+10) ObiJuanK is on a distinguished road. (+10) ObiJuanK is on a distinguished road. (+10) ObiJuanK is on a distinguished road. (+10) ObiJuanK is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Carbs make me store fat... and fat makes me...Fat!!! oh noe!!! I'm gonna stick to protein only diet and develop some real mass lol
    “I’m not interested in preserving the status quo; I want to overthrow it.” - Machiavelli

“If the mind is willing, the flesh could go on and on without many things" - Sun Tzu

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor

Alright, thanks for the tips everyone.

So in the end, if I want to gain muscle (as lean as it can be), I'll be better off balancing out my carbs/fats (40p/30c/30f) than trying to cut carbs? I was just thinking of something like a model physique... Bigger muscles, but little body fat to reveal abs and definition.

Can I get a confirmation that that's the way to go for that kind of physique? When I get a chance, I'll read over more of the stickies.

Thanks!

Afrosaurus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afrosaurus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afrosaurus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afrosaurus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afrosaurus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afrosaurus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afrosaurus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afrosaurus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afrosaurus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afrosaurus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Afrosaurus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Find out what your macros are; avoid relying on ratios.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout.

SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000)
    Alright, thanks for the tips everyone.

So in the end, if I want to gain muscle (as lean as it can be), I'll be better off balancing out my carbs/fats (40p/30c/30f) than trying to cut carbs? I was just thinking of something like a model physique... Bigger muscles, but little body fat to reveal abs and definition.
    First off, do away with ratios, they are not accurate, what you need to calculate is your TDEE. All you need for this is your body weight and fat %. Your TDEE is the most important thing you need to make sure is correct before doing anything else.

As far as the "model physique" that you want I'm not sure the best way to go about it, you may want to check in the Contest Prep section of the forums.
    "Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't own it, but you can use it. You can't keep it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it you can never get it back.” - Harvey McKay

What is IIFYM? Read post #8 by HunterCML:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152492113