BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Any powerlifters train with atlas stones?

Do y'all know of any powerlifters who train with stones? If so, do you think it has benefitted them on the platform?
    1st Strongman Competition May 3rd, 2014

untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000) untranslatedZA is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BigJon55 View Post
    Do y'all know of any powerlifters who train with stones? If so, do you think it has benefitted them on the platform?
    If you can afford them and have somewhere to use them sure. Alot of strongmen compete in powerlifting too. Two friends of mine do strongman and powerlifting and say atlas stones help their DL ALOT and some squat, mostly because of how much core and glute and ham strength u need to get it onto your knees and lift in such an akward way from there. Thing is ... atlas stones are expensive and u need to be able to use them either outside or have good rubber matting.
    Athletics > Aesthetics
    I guess its time to start training again.
    - No longer in a long term relationship crew because sloots gun sloot.
    - Finishing a degree at age 30 crew

BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by untranslatedZA View Post
    If you can afford them and have somewhere to use them sure. Alot of strongmen compete in powerlifting too. Two friends of mine do strongman and powerlifting and say atlas stones help their DL ALOT and some squat, mostly because of how much core and glute and ham strength u need to get it onto your knees and lift in such an akward way from there. Thing is ... atlas stones are expensive and u need to be able to use them either outside or have good rubber matting.
    They aren't very expensive to make. You just make a mold from plaster by coating an inflatable ball with it and then once it dries you pop the ball and pull it out and fill it up with cement. It only costs about $50 a stone. I have a set of them, I was just curious what other people's opinions on training with them were.
    1st Strongman Competition May 3rd, 2014

A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000) A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000) A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000) A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000) A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000) A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000) A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000) A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000) A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000) A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000) A_Hard_Rain is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i don't think they would help much with powerlifting. they sure are fun though

kingscross has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingscross has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingscross has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingscross has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingscross has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingscross has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingscross has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingscross has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingscross has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingscross has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingscross has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BigJon55 View Post
    They aren't very expensive to make. You just make a mold from plaster by coating an inflatable ball with it and then once it dries you pop the ball and pull it out and fill it up with cement. It only costs about $50 a stone. I have a set of them, I was just curious what other people's opinions on training with them were.
    Lettuce be reality, I doubt any powerlifter will train with atlas stones to increase his deadlift, sounds like broscience. You need protective sleeves or else risk having torn/raw forearms. You need chalk and tacky. Atlas stones would not appeal to a powerlifter unless they intend to train/compete in strongman. If your forearms end up like dis, how you gonna bench?

scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scorpionsf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by kingscross View Post
    Lettuce be reality, I doubt any powerlifter will train with atlas stones to increase his deadlift, sounds like broscience. You need protective sleeves or else risk having torn/raw forearms. You need chalk and tacky. Atlas stones would not appeal to a powerlifter unless they intend to train/compete in strongman. If your forearms end up like dis, how you gonna bench?

no bitchassness

problem solved

i plan on making some because it looks like fun and i generally enjoy all strength sports. i wouldn't use them near meets, but for GPP or just fun i see no problem using them
    gym lifts/competition lifts

squat ???/650
    bench 545/435
    deadlift 600/601

Penn State Powerlifting

bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    They're a great conditioning tool, but their effect on my DL is almost nil. I find that deadlifting and RDLs have a greater effect on my stone lifting than the other way around. Still, it's a novel way to activate your posterior chain and break a sweat as long as you lift smart and don't kill yourself.
    Excuses are just tools of incompetence
    Used to build monuments of nothingness
    And those who specialize in the uses
    Seldom achieve anything

bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigfor15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Stone rash is an inevitable part of the experience, but the pain and discomfort can be minimized by not being a vagina.
    Seldom achieve anything

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)

I've never actively used my forearm space for anything while benching, why would what is basically road rash effect your bench press at all?

I don't think it would be unlocking any secret to or more people would be utilizing them, I do think it is the best way to work the same basic muscle gorups in an almost sompletely different way though, so if you were worried about weaker spots that might get neglected through your usual training I can't see how it would do anything but help.

I was using them once a week for 6 months or so and I never noticed any negative effect other then my ego being smashed. With tacky my arms were nothing but sticky. With just chalk ( how I did it at the gym, took half the time was not training to be a stone champion etc, worked for me) I would get a bit raw but it wouldn't even be noticeable outside of visually by the next stone workout.

Plus its really fun and extremely taxing.

simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

My gym owner competes in strongman so I have played with atlas stones a few times. Stone rash didn't bother my bench one bit and only bothered other people.

Originally Posted by bigfor15 View Post
    Stone rash is an inevitable part of the experience, but the pain and discomfort can be minimized by not being a vagina.
    This
    Total's = Jan. 2012 - 1036 @ 198's
    Jan. 2013 - 1184 @ 220's
    Jul. 2013 - 1251 @ 220's
    Jan. 2014 - 1355 @ 242's

Originally Posted by Retardo-pex View Post
    I've never actively used my forearm space for anything while benching, why would what is basically road rash effect your bench press at all?

I don't think it would be unlocking any secret to or more people would be utilizing them, I do think it is the best way to work the same basic muscle gorups in an almost sompletely different way though, so if you were worried about weaker spots that might get neglected through your usual training I can't see how it would do anything but help.

I was using them once a week for 6 months or so and I never noticed any negative effect other then my ego being smashed. With tacky my arms were nothing but sticky. With just chalk ( how I did it at the gym, took half the time was not training to be a stone champion etc, worked for me) I would get a bit raw but it wouldn't even be noticeable outside of visually by the next stone workout.

Plus its really fun and extremely taxing.
    I usually bleed in competition, but that's because I overtack and carry on like a raped ape. All of my gym training days are slow and chalked which leads to just a little bit of rawness for a couple days.
    Seldom achieve anything

Intense as fuk bro austin.j.taylor's Avatar
    austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I train stone often but I dont think it would provide a ton of carryover to powerlifting. I mean I dont think it would hurt anything, just not sure it would provide direct carryover. Its just like the opposite, powerlifting doesnt provide direct carryover to stone loading. Does it help? Most likely. Is it the exact same, no freaking way.
    ★cVc★

My Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174578931

ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50) ButcherPLer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have used them but not regularly enough to notice any carryover from stones to DL. I you are in or around Ohio check out Ohio Atlas Stones. I sell them through that and craigslist.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by bigfor15 View Post
    I usually bleed in competition, but that's because I overtack and carry on like a raped ape. All of my gym training days are slow and chalked which leads to just a little bit of rawness for a couple days.
    It could have been due to me not being very good at lifting stones :P Best I ever did was 260 or so even in competition I was only making it to 2 or 3 stones tops, could barely get the next one off the ground.