Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Going the Distance...AGAIN!

I'll be stepping on stage in eleven weeks, on 25 May. My current weight (as of 3 March 2013) is 191lbs. My aim is to reach at least 176 so I can compete in the Middle Weight division, Men's Open, at the Red Stick Classic in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

This thread will serve as an open journal. I'll periodically post my thoughts, concerns, rants, stats, or whatever I feel like posting. Anyone can also feel free to post.

This will be my second competition. I did the Red Stick last June as a Novice Lightweight. I weighed in at 157. My avatar is from that show. I took fourth out of eight in my division. Not nearly as good as I wanted, but I can say with confidence that I had the second-best wheels in my class I did my prep by myself; no coaches, no nutritionist, nothing but the info I found all over the internet and a few helpful posters in the Contest Prep section. And I got LEAN. Actually, I over-dieted quite a bit; I'm quite certain I peaked somewhere between 5-8 weeks out!! That's a mistake I don't intend to make this time around.

My approach to this prep is going to be a bit more lenient. Last year, I absolutely torturered myself. I counted every freaking carb, and would beat myself to **** mentally if I went over my macros by even a bit. This time around, say I'm eating every 3 hours, if I get ****ing hungry, I'll have a freaking rice cake instead of crying in agony lol.

One obstacle I’ll be facing is a lower back injury. For the next few weeks, I won’t be able to squat or dead lift. I’ll probably have to go extremely light on rows and a bunch of other stuff until I’m fully recovered. I can do pull-ups, but any sort of pull down is probably out of the question for now.

So, I’ve adopted an intuitive training approach. Over the past two weeks or so, I pick a body part, I do my heavy compounds if possible (bench press and shoulder press, mainly, cause I can’t squat, DL, or bent rows), then do mostly isolation lifts by feel. I’m not really aiming for a certain rep range; sometimes I go to failure, sometimes I don’t. After about an hour, I might do cardio.

That’s about all for now. As I think of stuff, I’ll update this thread!
    Work like a slave. Eat like a king. Sleep like a baby. Look like a GOD.

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪
    If I tell you "reps on recharge" and I forget, just remind me.

ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    First progress video. 11 weeks out.

Yesterday I did upper-back. No bent rows, T-bar rows, or DB rows, but I was able to do lots of pullups, iso rows, seated cable rows, and close-grip pulldowns. I thought it was a mediocre workout, but I have considerable DOMS in my lats right now, so I guess it was alright

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

I did legs for the first time since re-f*cking up my back. I obviously didn't squat, though

Leg Extentions and Leg Curls with BLOOD FLOW RESTRICTION. I got an AMAZING pump with only 3 sets of each, in the 15-25 rep range. It hurts like a bastard, but somehow feels good too. Will try again.
    I'm kind of ashamed to admit it online, but I did hip abductions (or adductions...whichever one works outer thighs lol) for the first time in like 3 years. I tried leg press, but it hurt my back, so I stopped after 1 set. Then, some walking BB lunges with only 50lbs, but for 30,30,40 reps. Got a nice pump, did some calf raises, then left.

Meh...
    Last edited by ThePinsir; 03-03-2013 at 08:11 PM.

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

Shoulders today. Seated OHP with 185, for three sets of 8, 8, then F*CKING TWENTY!! On a no-carb day.

I iz Super Man!!

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

I just realized turkey burger patties I've been scarfing down each have over a gram of sodium! I'm done with those. Period.

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

187 this morning! After a no-carb, sauna, depleted day, but still. 187.4. Swag.

Today is my first re-feed since hurting my back. Omnom pancakes!

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

I haz a coach nao.
    "You go on autopilot. Leave the thinking to me."

- Dan

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

I haz music and routine nao! I have 10 weeks to perfect the transition and everything, but it's there!

Today was the longest I've ever been in the gym, and probably the most volume I've ever done. Swag.

Happy birthday, Coach Dan!

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

I haven't been carb cycling since I started with my new coach. My carbs have been at a moderate level, though I'm not counting them at all. After my last no-carb day, depleted, I was 187 point something. Today, after a week and a day of moderate carbs, I'm 188.2. Which means I'm still losing plenty of weight.

Also, Dan has me eating damn near 300g of protein per day. I've never eaten that much in my life! I'm looking pretty full and hard most of the time.

Dan's training is freaking intense! Lots of super-sets, lots of drop-sets, LOTS of volume! I saw a big, ugly vein popping out of both pecs this Monday for the first time ever. Felt AMAZING!!

Though, I wish this f*cking back would hurry up and heal...

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    In and good luck!
    My 2014 off-season and prep: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139229683

Prep is a piece of cake. Why? I got kids, four of 'em, nothing harder than that.

Yeah! Someone toasted in my bread! Thanks, Rypt.

Well, I miscounted at first. I thought I started this thread at 11 weeks out. It was actually 12. So, I'm 9.5 weeks out now, not 8.5. Whatever.

My back still isn't at 100 percent. In fact, I hurt it for a THIRD TIME last week. So, I'm training legs with low weight, but REDICULOUSLY high volume.

My coach has me training 6 days/week now. He said my legs are too big, lol. I actually felt pretty happy with that! We're gonna try to bring my upper body up a bit before calories start getting really low.

Swag.

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

here are some recent pics:

(I had just finished training arms, and had an amazing pump when I took this pic)

(Also had a pretty good pump for this pic)

I'm looking WAY bigger than I did last year. I'm not quite as lean as I was at this point, but I'm still pretty lean. I can see veins in my obliques. My abs are looking pretty juicy. I'm seeing really good separation in my quads...and my weight hasn't changed in like 3 weeks!

I was loosing 2 lbs a week EASY before I started working with Dan. Since like 3 weeks, I'm filling out a lot, getting leaner, but the scale isn't moving. Actually, I kinda like it

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

i like marshmallow DJaRiHardstyle's Avatar
    DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000) DJaRiHardstyle is just really nice. (+1000)
    I am so in....

Good luck, bro you got this!
    My website:
    NoFluffStrength.com
    Never sensational. Always real.

Currently just coming off of a show; follow my offseason log:
    Mindfulness, Mastery, and Muscle - DJaRiHardstyle's Offseason Mission
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172199513&pagenumber=

Wow, last year I updated my thread almost daily. I haven't been here in a while

Anyway, I've been doing a "practice peak week" this week. Carbs have been pretty low, and 0ish all day today. VERY little water today. I'm gonna start carbing up tonight around 6 tonight, and in the morning; I'm pretending that's it's a Friday show for this practice peak. I've been fluctuating between around 185-187 for the past week or so; Coach doesn't want me dropping TOO much weight yet.

Training is going well. I think I've finally grown accustomed to these REALLY high volume workouts. My back is doing MUCH better. Last week, over spring break, I did 6 plates on my last set of T-bar rows, I did SLDLs with like 205, and heavy-ish squats...but my back still hurts in the mornings sometimes :/

I'm noticing better separation in my chest and shoulders damn near every day, despite hovering around the same weight. I kind of like this

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

These are from this morning after a lat workout and just a bit of cardio:

I'm still holding some fat on my lower abs and lower back, but I've got 6.5 weeks. Swag.

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

4 weeks out today! Lowering my carbs to about 150g starting today. Protein about 300g. Haven't been doing too much with fat; incidental fats in foods, and a handful of peanuts, and sometimes some almond butter is about it.

Also, adding more cardio starting today. Gonna start doing an hour now...which means I have to buy headphones.

I weighed 182 the other day, rather deleted. About 187 after yesterday's re-feed. I still have a lot of weight to lose.

Coach said my chest and shoulders look like they're catching up to my lower body.

Swag.

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

Today has thus far been my first legit "zombie-mode" of this prep. I take it as a good sign, though. The worse I feel, the better I look.

Dropping carbs to 120g.

Oh, last week, I had incline db presses for 5x 10. First set: 70s. Then 80s. Then 90s. Then 100s, for ten reps on the forth set. It was my first time ever pressing 100s. And I did it 5 weeks out from a show. With no spotter. I couldn't quite finish the fifth set, but I was still HELLA proud!

Still doing an hour of cardio each day.

Also, Pain and Gain was pretty cool!

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

I've been getting a great deal of my protein from deli meats (contest prep at college SUCKS). That is a **** TON of sodium. I had even more than usual yesterday. So, I'm up to 184 today. Kinda smooth, spilled over. Ima drop the deli meats as much as possible.

But SOOOO much of my protein comes from them. Maybe an extra shake or something to make up for it.

Also, legit zombie mode this morning...you guys know hown it is...

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

I did HIIT this morning for the first time in over a year. I didn't do it too much last year because I was on EC. 'Twas legit.

I'm feeling a bit better today than I did yesterday...but still slow, lethargic, BLEH!

I weighed 181.2 this morning. My lower abs are looking better. My lower back and hammies are looking better. I look like I'm about 4 weeks from a show!

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

Three weeks out today. Starting tomorrow, carbs drop to 60-80 per day. Still gonna be doing an hour of cardio. Bleh.

Yesterday's re-feed will be my last. But, this coming week is another practice peak-week, so I'll be doing a little carb-loading.

Then, another week of SUCK, then graduation, then actual peak-week.

Can't wait to win this bitch.

Swag.

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

Still a bit smooth/spilled from Friday. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow, when I'm looking nice and depleted lol

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

Two weeks out today!
    Honestly, the past week of 60-80g carbs per day wasn't THAT damn bad. Coach has me on 40-60g for the next week...this is gonna suck pretty hard.

I did a re-feed yesterday. As per usual, I was up about 6 lbs this morning. It usually takes a good 4 days to get down to my base-line weight after a re-feed...but I'm back down after not even one full day! Perhaps due to the sauna, perhaps due to a lot of green tea and coffee...idk, but I like it!

Here's a video:

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000)
    log needs more posters! You're definitely putting in the work with an hour of cardio and sub 100g CHO a day..... YUCK!

Video isnt loading for me, but I'm curious as to who your prep coach is? Whats current weight at before refeeds?
    Visit My Current Log -> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144888731

Originally Posted by TheNaturalOak View Post
    log needs more posters! You're definitely putting in the work with an hour of cardio and sub 100g CHO a day..... YUCK!

Video isnt loading for me, but I'm curious as to who your prep coach is? Whats current weight at before refeeds?

I tried embedding the video from my phone. I'll fix it later lol.

About once or twice a week, if I'm in a hurry, I'll do some HIIT cardio just so I can finish up quicker...but it's usually an hour of LISS...

My coach is Dan Lipford. He's a pretty cool guy. His training and approach are hard...but are working very well so far. Looking back on my 2 weeks out video from last year...I looked like a Jew with abs. This time around, I actually look like a bodybuilder. Sure, I gained about 20lbs of muscle this past year by myself, but Dan's dieting had kept me hard and full throughout this prep.

The lowest I've been is 178 and some change. I need to be 176.25 for this show. I'm already lean, so losing 2 more lbs of fat will only make me look better!

Side note: legs are getting veiny. Lower abs getting veiny. And some feathering is starting to show in that left quad!

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ThePinsir View Post
    I tried embedding the video from my phone. I'll fix it later lol.

About once or twice a week, if I'm in a hurry, I'll do some HIIT cardio just so I can finish up quicker...but it's usually an hour of LISS...

My coach is Dan Lipford. He's a pretty cool guy. His training and approach are hard...but are working very well so far. Looking back on my 2 weeks out video from last year...I looked like a Jew with abs. This time around, I actually look like a bodybuilder. Sure, I gained about 20lbs of muscle this past year by myself, but Dan's dieting had kept me hard and full throughout this prep.

The lowest I've been is 178 and some change. I need to be 176.25 for this show. I'm already lean, so losing 2 more lbs of fat will only make me look better!

Side note: legs are getting veiny. Lower abs getting veiny. And some feathering is starting to show in that left quad!
    Was able to watch through Youtube itself.

You're definitely getting there, built some solid muscle but I dont think ~20lbs gained is realistic. Your legs seemed to have had more definition last year but your upper body looks much better now in my opinion.

It's funny because we're roughly the same structure and I'm also competing May 25th!

Keep the grind up! those 2lbs will be gone np
    Visit My Current Log -> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144888731

Was able to watch through Youtube itself.

You're definitely getting there, built some solid muscle but I dont think ~20lbs gained is realistic. Your legs seemed to have had more definition last year but your upper body looks much better now in my opinion.

It's funny because we're roughly the same structure and I'm also competing May 25th!

Keep the grind up! those 2lbs will be gone np
    I know 20lbs isn't realistic...but I like to tell myself that because I know I'm a little less lean than I was last year...a man can dream...

I appreciate the input and encouragement. This past off-season, I deemed shoulders my weak point, and hit them twice a week. Now, my coach has me hitting chest twice a week. So I'm glad other people are noticing upper-body improvements.I hope the judges do.

Still, I'm expecting to be around 175 for this show.I got 4th last year weighing 157...so I am VERY confident with the package I'm bringing.

Can't wait to DESTROY some pancakes after le show!

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

Usually I feel like crap, but at least I'm not too hungry most of the time. Today, I've been hungry all damn day. Diet soda not helping. Gum not helping. Hell, not even food helping lol.Green tea works for a while.
    Plus zombie-mode.
    Plus ball-buster exams.
    Today was poop.

LESS THAN TWO WEEKS!

/rant

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

Originally Posted by ThePinsir View Post
    Usually I feel like crap, but at least I'm not too hungry most of the time. Today, I've been hungry all damn day. Diet soda not helping. Gum not helping. Hell, not even food helping lol.Green tea works for a while.
    Plus zombie-mode.
    Plus ball-buster exams.
    Today was poop.

LESS THAN TWO WEEKS!

/rant
    Is food low? (For you* as that is relevant lol)

haha so funny because I started prep off eating small amounts throughout the day so I can have nice meal for post workout/night time.
    Now its the exact opposite.... I find myself eating half my food intake before noon for a pre workout meal and eat like a bird the rest of the day LOL

Is food low? (For you* as that is relevant lol)

haha so funny because I started prep off eating small amounts throughout the day so I can have nice meal for post workout/night time.
    Now its the exact opposite.... I find myself eating half my food intake before noon for a pre workout meal and eat like a bird the rest of the day LOL
    I'm at 300g protein per day. 40-60 g carbs. Fats, wherever it falls.

My meals are pretty equal in size, except the first two. First is a 5am shake. Second is a big-ish breakfast. The rest are Meh.

Today I found a sample of a pwo, oxi pro or something like that. It was maybe not the most intense, but BY FAR the longest lasting pwo I've ever used. Though...I haven't used one in months. Still, jack3d usually lasts for a few sets. This lasted the whole workout, and through cardio. Felt it in the sauna...and now I'm at lunch and STILL feel all tingly!

This was my last heavy leg day before the show

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪

I just read through last year's contest journal. I didn't realize at the time how much I bitched lol!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...2930591&page=3

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪