OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Overweight guy trying to cut

To start, i am 37 yrs old. 5'11" 290 lbs. My goal is to get to 210 lbs with around 10%bf by december (end of the month). I lift really heavy 4 to 5 days a week. ( i switch it up) i do cardio after my weight training for about 30 to 45 minutes. Some days i do more cardio in the evening again for another 30 minutes. I have been researching on line about what macros to eat. I am very dedicated, i will do whatever it takes. I just don't want to be eating too much even though it's healthy protein. Here are my macros for a given day.
    250 grams/protein
    130-150 grams carbs
    50 grams of "good fats" (almonds, all natty pb, etc..)

to give a good idea of my overweight"ness". I wear a size 42"x 32" jeans.

I was really big (muscular) and cut 10 yrs ago. So i have an idea, but at that point i didn't start out being this fat. :-/
    any help would be appreciated. If anyone needs more info to help me, just let me know. Thank you.

KwayZee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KwayZee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KwayZee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KwayZee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KwayZee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KwayZee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KwayZee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KwayZee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KwayZee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KwayZee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KwayZee has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I am curious as to how you calculated your macros. Did you use any formula(s) or is that a guess? If it's the latter, I would definitely recommend reading the stickies and calculating your macros/TDEE and cut at a 500 calorie deficit.
    ~Veni Vidi Vici~

OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) OILFIELDGYMRAT is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I did calculate my tdee. Im at work right now, so i don't remember the exact number. I have it at home. I did factor it in . I will go to the page that had the formula for figuring it out again now, and will post it.
    Originally Posted by kwayzee View Post
    i am curious as to how you calculated your macros. Did you use any formula(s) or is that a guess? If it's the latter, i would definitely recommend reading the stickies and calculating your macros/tdee and cut at a 500 calorie deficit.

Originally Posted by oilfieldgymrat View Post
    i did calculate my tdee. Im at work right now, so i don't remember the exact number. I have it at home. I did factor it in . I will go to the page that had the formula for figuring it out again now, and will post it.
    ok, im calculating my tdee to be 3,909

marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by OILFIELDGYMRAT View Post
    ok, im calculating my tdee to be 3,909
    The macros you said above add up to a calorie total wayyyy below your TDEE. I think it's half actually..you should eat 15-20% below your TDEE to minimize muscle loss.

I'm sorry, but i just want to make sure i read you right. You think i'm eating to much? Or not enough? (seems like you meant i wasn't eating enough)
    Originally Posted by marcoxx626 View Post
    the macros you said above add up to a calorie total wayyyy below your tdee. I think it's half actually..you should eat 15-20% below your tdee to minimize muscle loss.

I got it now. I need to eat about 3300 calories, and what i posted arent near that. Im not eating enough. I think my protein is more like 280 grams instead of 250. (i read the carbs should be about 1/2 as many grams as the protein. If thats true, then my carbs may be ok.
    i'm sorry, but i just want to make sure i read you right. You think i'm eating to much? Or not enough? (seems like you meant i wasn't eating enough)

marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) marcoxx626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I got it now. I need to eat about 3300 calories, and what i posted arent near that. Im not eating enough. I think my protein is more like 280 grams instead of 250. (i read the carbs should be about 1/2 as many grams as the protein. If thats true, then my carbs may be ok.
    You should read the stickies posted by Emma. I believe it's 1g protein per lb of body weight, 0.4-1g of fat per kg and the rest whatever you want (which will probably be carbs unless you want more fat/protein)

Oh and is your TDEE 3300 calories or is that your calories intake for a cut?

My tdee is 3909. Calculating the 15-20 % deduction you said....cames out to a 600 gram deduct. So, the amount comes to 3300 calories that i need to eat. I calculated it at about 16%
    oh and is your tdee 3300 calories or is that your calories intake for a cut?

my tdee is 3909. Calculating the 15-20 % deduction you said....cames out to a 600 gram deduct. So, the amount comes to 3300 calories that i need to eat. I calculated it at about 16%
    comes* not cames. Sorry.

My tdee is 3909. Calculating the 15-20 % deduction you said....cames out to a 600 gram deduct. So, the amount comes to 3300 calories that i need to eat. I calculated it at about 16%
    Now just make sure you meet your protein and fat minimum and good luck man!

I sure will use your advice! I really thank you for your help.
    now just make sure you meet your protein and fat minimum and good luck man!

I sure will use your advice! I really thank you for your help.
    I'm learning just like you!lol I've just studied the s*** out if see forums for the past couple weeks haha.

That's the type of person i will take advice from. Someone that actually took the time to "learn" it. I used to be really big, cut, bech was 410lbs at one point. I just ate alot of protein. I did research, but have forgotten alot. It's been over 10 yrs. I remember seeing posts people would give advice to the newbys and it was like they read one thread about the topic and they thought they were experts. They would preach the wrong information like it was the gospel. So, with all of that said, i do appreciate you taking time to help me out.
    i'm learning just like you!lol i've just studied the s*** out if see forums for the past couple weeks haha.

tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tden99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    a few corrections

Its .4g/lb of fat
    Also, its 1g/lb protein for lean body mass, so for obese individuals requirements are lower
    In addition I am not sure which calculator you used for your TDEE but you'll just have to go by the mirror and scale to judge your appropriate TDEE
    You are most likely going to be unable to drop directly to 10% but probably will need a few breaks at least at maintenance or bulk

Good luck on your journey

Data Required:
    Your height in cm , your weight in kg , your age in years. Weigh yourself right before calculating - do not guesstimate!
    For those in the US the conversions are as follows: 1 inch = 2.54 cm / 2.2 lbs = 1 kg

Step 1
    Calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate):

Men: BMR = 66 + (13.7 x weight in kg) + (5 x height in cm) - (6.8 x age in years)

Women: BMR = 655 + (9.6 x weight in kg) + (1.8 x height in cm) - (4.7 x age in years)

Remember 1 inch = 2.54cm and 2.2 lbs = 1 kg.

Step 2
    Calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). This will tell you the average number of calories you burn based on your BMR and your daily activity level.

Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise and a desk or still standing job)
    Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise or sports one to three times per week)
    Moderately active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise or sports three to five times per week)
    Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise or sports six to seven times per week)
    Extremely active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise or sports and a physical job, or twice a day training for an athletic event such as for a marathon or intense competition)
    HERE IS HOW I CALCULATED MY TDEE. IF IT'S NOT ACCURATE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. (AS FOR AS FIGURING OUT MY TDEE IN THE MIRROR, I GUESS YOU MEAN, IF I LOOK LEANER AND MORE MUSCULAR EVERY WEEK...THEN KEEP DOING THAT AMOUNT OF PROTEIN AND CARBS....I CAN TRY THAT APPROACH IF NEEDED.

On the comment about me being unable to drop directly to 10%.....could you please elborate? I'm not sure of what you mean by that and by needing a few breaks at maint. Or bulk. (so i will be prepared when i get down closer to that range. Thanks.
    Originally Posted by tden99 View Post
    a few corrections

its .4g/lb of fat
    also, its 1g/lb protein for lean body mass, so for obese individuals requirements are lower
    in addition i am not sure which calculator you used for your tdee but you'll just have to go by the mirror and scale to judge your appropriate tdee
    you are most likely going to be unable to drop directly to 10% but probably will need a few breaks at least at maintenance or bulk

good luck on your journey

I meant to quote this comment when asking about your comment, instead i quoted my own comment. Sorry, i just worked all night. Tired.
    Originally Posted by tden99 View Post
    a few corrections

its .4g/lb of fat
    also, its 1g/lb protein for lean body mass, so for obese individuals requirements are lower
    in addition i am not sure which calculator you used for your tdee but you'll just have to go by the mirror and scale to judge your appropriate tdee
    you are most likely going to be unable to drop directly to 10% but probably will need a few breaks at least at maintenance or bulk

good luck on your journey