jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Please comment on the texture of these gainers

From the products that I've tried, it seems like supplements really come in to two types of textures: extremely refined and powdery (like syntha-6 and muscle milk) and a more coarse, floury type (like most whey proteins e.g. gold standard). I'm planning on getting a gainer and would like to find out the texture of each of these products, if you know:

-BSN True Mass
    -ON Serious Mass
    -ON Pro Complex Gainer
    -MHP Up Your Mass
    -Cytogainer
    -Prolab N-Large3

Thanks.
    Last edited by jaliu; 02-27-2013 at 11:21 PM.

Scrawny little Asian Providence94's Avatar
    Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Providence94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jaliu View Post
    From the products that I've tried, it seems like supplements really come in to two types of textures: extremely refined and powdery (like syntha-6 and muscle milk) and a more coarse, floury type (like most whey proteins). I'm planning on getting a gainer and would like to find out the texture of each of these products, if you know:

-BSN True Mass
    -ON Serious Mass
    -ON Pro Complex Gainer
    -MHP Up Your Mass
    -Cytogainer
    -Prolab N-Large3

Thanks.
    A lil off topic here, you do not need a mass gainer to gain mass. You gain weight in a calculated caloric surplus, not through supplements. Once you have found your calculate caloric surplus number, then you try to fit them with food, supplements like mass gainers are useful if you are unable to eat the amount of food required to gain weight.

However, personally I find it hard not to exceed my calories even during bulking, I just seem to ravage anything that is caloric dense rather than taking a gainer.
    hai guyz

Team Hollywood Militia
    (Contest Prep Coach/Nutritionist John "Otis" Hollywood)

CURRENTLY SHREDDIN

235p/430c/65f at 186lbs

BoingoBoingoBoingoBoingo TinyMan's Avatar
    TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    -ON Serious Mass

I *think* it was fairly sweet, but no texture issue. Fairly smooth - although I don't know what syntha-6 is like, I've never bothered with BSN products. Years ago.

-ON Pro Complex Gainer

Thicker, not grainy. Pleasant from what I remember, years back. At the time, and it may still be true, the product didn't justify the price against competitors.

-MHP Up Your Mass

Thicker, grainy. That comes because you aren't just resorting to maltodextrin as the carbohydrate.

-Cytogainer

Depended on the flavor, strawberry was thick/starchy, but vanilla wasn't for some reason.

The others I haven't used. Bear in mind that for all of these, with the exception of MHP, my experience is from a few years ago. There may have been tweaks made since then.
    I remember being relevant.

jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaliu has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by TinyMan View Post
    -ON Serious Mass

I *think* it was fairly sweet, but no texture issue. Fairly smooth - although I don't know what syntha-6 is like, I've never bothered with BSN products. Years ago.

-ON Pro Complex Gainer

Thicker, not grainy. Pleasant from what I remember, years back. At the time, and it may still be true, the product didn't justify the price against competitors.

-MHP Up Your Mass

Thicker, grainy. That comes because you aren't just resorting to maltodextrin as the carbohydrate.

-Cytogainer

Depended on the flavor, strawberry was thick/starchy, but vanilla wasn't for some reason.

The others I haven't used. Bear in mind that for all of these, with the exception of MHP, my experience is from a few years ago. There may have been tweaks made since then.
    Thanks for your help. When you say thick/starchy do mean the texture is like starch or like flour? Muscle milk is really light and airy which is why i'm asking.

TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I guess I mean more like starch than flour. I can't remember what muscle milk is like, to be honest. I think I've had it before?

Originally Posted by TinyMan View Post
    I guess I mean more like starch than flour. I can't remember what muscle milk is like, to be honest. I think I've had it before?
    I would describe it as light, fluffy, and airy. I had it for the first time again in ages and it was so much more airy than I had remembered. As if you're not even eating or adding anything to water. Whereas gold standard is very filling.

Only thing I can think of I'd really term like that is gemma protein. I guess that would really come down to the thickener they have used (xanthan gum or whatever it is).