Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

What to eat before bed? Lifting straps are "cheating"? Ants eating my face.

Wondering what to eat before bed that will help my body recover after lifting in the morning and working all day out in the field. I'm currently taking Casein in a protien shake right before bed since it's a slow release protein. Anything I should add to that?

Ok I've started adding more weight to my workouts and sometimes while doing a dead lift or shoulder shrugs I have to limit the amount of weight I use since I can only hold up so much with my hands. I'm in cunstruction and have pretty strong forearms and a good grip but there is a limit. I was told that using lifting straps is cheating but I feel I'm missing out on my work out goals because my grip is limiting my liftable weight. Make sense? Advice?

Oh and why in the hell is it that some pre-workout drinks make me feel like I have ants eating away at the inside of my face?????

I guess that's enough strange talk for now. Thanks folks!
    Last edited by Junkers88; 02-28-2013 at 04:58 AM.

mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000) mal1ce is just really nice. (+1000)
    Casein is ok before bed, you don't *need* to add anything to it, but if you're trying to add calories, coconut oil is a good fat source that you could try.

Unless you plan on competing in a powerlifting contest go ahead and use lifting straps. Screw the "thats cheating" haters.

The "ants" could be coming from a Beta Alanine or Niacin based pre-workout.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...

--==2013 Meet Lifts==--
    147.5/325 | 90/198 | 202.5/446

Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    LOL I get the same feeling with MP Assault and I believe it is as Mal1ce suggests although for me it's more of ants on my ears!

Yes.....I'm that wrestler MASSter's Avatar
    MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    As long as you've hit your macro requirements sometime during the course of your day, there is no need for slow/fast or any other speed protein. If you like to eat late and eat Casein then do it. If not then don't. Simple as that. Your muscles won't fall off overnight without slow releasing proteins.
    Who oversees the overseers?

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by mal1ce View Post
    Casein is ok before bed, you don't *need* to add anything to it, but if you're trying to add calories, coconut oil is a good fat source that you could try.

Unless you plan on competing in a powerlifting contest go ahead and use lifting straps. Screw the "thats cheating" haters.

The "ants" could be coming from a Beta Alanine or Niacin based pre-workout.
    ^^^ what he said
    David

ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Lifting straps aren't cheating if your back is stronger than your forearms...which I'm assuming it is. There are good reasons to avoid straps, but when the weight gets so heavy that you're risking lack of progression due to grip strength, then use 'em. If people call you a cheater then throw 'em your straps, and tell them to deadlift the 500 lbs you just popped up for reps.
    http://www.buffleheadprod.com
    Life begins underwater

- 25 July 1972 Cata-pole barred from competition because it contains carbon fibers.

"Those who assume hypotheses as first principles of their speculations...may indeed form an ingenious romance, but a romance it will still be." Roger Cotes - preface to Newton's Principia Mathematica 2nd ed 1713

EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EB68 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I do not think using straps is cheating. I try to not use them until it is absolutely neccessary though. On deadlifts I used to only be able to lift around 245 without them, but have worked up to the 365 neighborhood. But I can dead 420/435 with them so I would be losing some good workouts if I refused to use them. I lift at night and have a protien shake before bed with regular whey isolate. If I am bulking I will add peanut butter/banana to it just to hit my daily calories. If Cutting I often just use skim milk and protien powder. Like stated above as long as you hit your daily calories and macro's it doesn't matter, I just like having something on my stomach before bed. And Beta-alanine does me the same way, I just use coffeee for a preworkout.
    Eric

PR's
    squat 335x1
    benchpress 245x1
    DB Benchpress 100'sx6
    Bent over rows 245x8
    deadlifts 445x1
    Military press 130x6
    Chin-ups BW+100x2
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144259741 My workout journal

TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I can't post links up because I have less than 50 posts but go to YouTube, look up Derek Poundstone 800 lbs Deadlift for 9 reps. I doubt anyone will accuse him of cheating (well this is the internet so some keyboard warriors may)

BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BearLovesLuna has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Junkers88 View Post
    Wondering what to eat before bed that will help my body recover after lifting in the morning and working all day out in the field. I'm currently taking Casin in a protien shake right before bed since it's a slow release protien. Anything I should add to that?

Ok I've started adding more weight to my workouts and sometimes while doing a dead lift or shoulder shrugs I have to limit the amount of weight I use since I can only hold up so much with my hands. I'm in cunstruction and have pretty strong forearms and a good grip but there is a limit. I was told that using lifting straps is cheating but I feel I'm missing out on my work out goals because my grip is limiting my liftable weight. Make sense? Advice?

Oh and why in the hell is it that some pre-workout drinks make me feel like I have ants eating away at the inside of my face?????

Nothing that prevents an injury is cheating, to an amateur who is just lifting for BB or strength. Anything that prevents injury is "smart".

Beta Alanine is one of he ingredients that creates the tingling... High doses of Niacin can cause a little, but it also can cause red skin flushness, rapid heartbeat, feeling warm. I would suggest that the tingling is the alanine.
    Nobody improves without trying. Period.

Listen to your wisdom as you gain it. Rarely are things lost forever. Change is usually always possible. Second chances sometimes reveal better results than first chances. Always look to believe that you can and will be better. You're not done until you give up.

(Bear= wife's nickname for me... Luna= my nickname for her)

MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by BearLovesLuna View Post
    Nothing that prevents an injury is cheating, to an amateur who is just lifting for BB or strength. Anything that prevents injury is "smart".
    ^^^ agreed

Food for thought
    The only time I seriously hurt my back deadlifting was using straps, as stated above somewhere, it depends on where ones weak link is. Mine was/is my grip, and for me, now not using straps is a good way to build my back safely and slowly while my grip strength catches up. Other people feel that using straps lets them concentrate on back form. To each their own, but apart from competition rules, I don't think its cheating.

Regards

Jigfish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jigfish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jigfish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jigfish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jigfish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jigfish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jigfish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jigfish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jigfish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jigfish has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jigfish has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I like using my straps. It helps me with my form and I can go heavier.
    Thanks,

The weak call it obsession , the strong call it DEDICATION!!

Jigfish

JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Because my arms don't lockout anymore I have to able to drop the weight so I can't use straps anymore. TBH it didn't take long for my grip to catch up.

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Wondering what to eat before bed...
    Sometimes I eat cinnamon oatmeal with a glass of milk, other times I have cottage cheese and steamed veggies. Just depends on what I feel like at the time, and what I need to do to hit my macros for the day.

I was told that using lifting straps is cheating ...
    I use Versa Gripps whenever and wherever I deem necessary...and not a single fck was given that day about what anyone else thinks.

I guess that's enough strange talk for now.
    This board has mostly sucked lately, so I am up for some strange talk as long as it is about bodybuilding related topics.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Wondering what to eat before bed that will help my body recover ..
    Anything you like that will fit into your remaining macro/calorie requirement for the day.

If you've already reached it, there's no requirement to eat anything before sleeping. Provided you ate to your requirements for that day, you already have plenty enough nutrients on-board to last you for many hours. You won't go 'all catabrolic' overnight.

I was told that using lifting straps is cheating but I feel I'm missing out on my work out goals because my grip is limiting my liftable weight. Make sense? Advice?
    If you're training for bodybuilding, 'cheating' by using straps is nonsense.

In actuality, if you don't use straps to continue to work your back, you're "cheating" yourself out of potentially more gains. It makes no sense to allow your smaller, weaker forearm muscles to dictate to your much larger and stronger back muscles how much work they'll get.

Go strapless until your grip begins to fail. At that time, strap-up, and continue to overload your larger muscles.

If you're concerned about your grip strength lagging, try doing several sets of Bar Holds at the end of your Deadlift day workout.

Set the pins in a power rack to hold the bar a few inches below the point where it dead-hangs in your hands. Load it with your current deadlift max weight, pick it up, and hold it as long as possible. Do three 'sets,' working to increase your hold time week-to-week. When you can hold the loaded bar for 20-25 seconds per set, increase the weight.

As stated already ITT, it's probably from beta alanine; it has that effect on some people.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I was told that using lifting straps is cheating but I feel I'm missing out on my work out goals because my grip is limiting my liftable weight. Make sense? Advice?
    Everything has context. In the context of competitive powerlifting, yes it's "cheating", more like against the rules. But if you compete in strongman ( like I do ) then straps are typically allowed in deadlift events ( it's on a show by show basis, sometimes if the point of the event is to test grip then straps aren't allowed, but they typically are in most strongman shows ).

IMHO if you're a recreational lifter/bodybuilder and you can lift more than your grip allows, use straps, just don't get dependent on them and make sure you're still working your grip.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i had been debating on buying straps, i noticed my right hand grip on deadlifts is not as strong as my left and thought about straps...have to pick some up.
    Dave

MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Straps are wonderful, use 'em.

Just once around the bar though - I see people tying themselves to the bar by wrapping it multiple times and that seems to add some (microcosmically small) unnecessary risk.
    330->210. Drop me a PM if you're just getting started and want some advice.
    Do what you love and you'll never workout a day in your life.

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Wondering what to eat before bed that will help my body recover after lifting in the morning and working all day out in the field. I'm currently taking Casein in a protien shake right before bed since it's a slow release protein. Anything I should add to that?

Bolded: BS.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) scullin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The thing about lifting straps is, if you use them too often you're grip will get weaker because the straps are doing the job for you. This can also make your forearms shrink. This happened to me several years ago when I started using them all the time on deadlifts, chins, pulldowns, and rows. My back got huge and I was moving some big weights, but my forearms shrank and grip became weak. So I have since stopped using them years ago because of it. Just food for thought if you care about grip strength and forearms. Obviously you can do supplemental hand and forearm work but it's not going to be the same as heavy dealifts. Now I just use a mixed grip on heavy dealifts and I"m fine.

As for the ants eating your face thing, I know its weird but I like that feeling. lol

TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I brought up straps a few days ago and I plan on buying some versagrips soon. I could care less what anyone thinks about them. I would rather my back get stronger than be limited to what a very small muscle group (forearms) can sustain. Anyone who claims that is cheating is a reginald... a hairy... dirty...reginald...

Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Junkers88 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    First off I need to apologize for the terrible spelling in my original post.... Jeez.

I did some bar holds today after I dropped my shrug weight, waiting on my straps to arrive, and my forearms are crazy sore which indicates they need some more work. I also changed my grip on my dead lifts (one had over and the other under if that makes sense) and it helped a TON.

Thank you all again. I really want this time to work. I spent several months last year lifting and getting nowhere (nutrition was all off) and don't want to repeat it this time or have any other excuses not to excel.