Thread: My gym nemisis

Gareth1979 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My gym nemisis

Not sure this is in the right place but motivation seemed the best option

I'm reasonably fit, not by this places standards but above average. Like to think I have a reasonable knowledge of weightlifting too.

So here's the problem. Recently a new guy has started at the gym and he won't leave me alone. From the start of my workout to the end he's telling me I'm doing pretty much everything wrong. My forms terrible, I'm lifting too much, too little. He mixes this in with chats about who he's punched requests to use what I'm clearly using and stories about how he'll be 17st of muscle in 6 months (he's probably got about 4st to go) I realise he might be right, my form might be terrible and he's only trying to help but it's not helping. I feel a little uncomfortable at the best of times in the gym and now he's bothering me I literally spend my workouts avoiding him rather than working out. I'm getting nothing done. I'm seriously tempted to go find myself another gym. Am I within my rights to tell him to f@&k off?? I don't want to cause a scene but he's spoiling it for me. Maybe my workouts were imperfect but its better than no workouts which is what I'm getting now. Am I being too sensitive??

devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devinchi18 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Gareth1979 View Post

I'm reasonably fit, not by this places standards but above average. Like to think I have a reasonable knowledge of weightlifting too.

So here's the problem. Recently a new guy has started at the gym and he won't leave me alone. From the start of my workout to the end he's telling me I'm doing pretty much everything wrong. My forms terrible, I'm lifting too much, too little. He mixes this in with chats about who he's punched requests to use what I'm clearly using and stories about how he'll be 17st of muscle in 6 months (he's probably got about 4st to go) I realise he might be right, my form might be terrible and he's only trying to help but it's not helping. I feel a little uncomfortable at the best of times in the gym and now he's bothering me I literally spend my workouts avoiding him rather than working out. I'm getting nothing done. I'm seriously tempted to go find myself another gym. Am I within my rights to tell him to f@&k off?? I don't want to cause a scene but he's spoiling it for me. Maybe my workouts were imperfect but its better than no workouts which is what I'm getting now. Am I being too sensitive??
    Hmmm glad i workout at a small gym, don't have this problem. The first thing I'd do if I was you would be to take all the lifts you do (or at least the ones he says you are doing wrong) and look at some video examples of proper technique and form. After you have a pretty good idea of what your workout should look like then you can decide for yourself whether or not your lifts are being done incorrectly. As far as weight and repetition goes it really depends on your goals. Arm yourself with knowledge. If he keeps telling you that you're wrong after you've done your research then you can tell him to **** off. If that doesn't work find another gym haha.

Good Luck!
    "I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than i was yesterday"

brb... bulking

shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shanim1094 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think your best option is to simple tell him that you understand he is trying to help and that you appreciate it but frankly he is distracting you from your work out. If that doesn't work then tell him to f*** off. So option 1 is the polite way to say f*** off and option 2 is the blunt way.
    -Work in progress-

SHARKDIESEL will become famous soon enough. (+50) SHARKDIESEL will become famous soon enough. (+50) SHARKDIESEL will become famous soon enough. (+50) SHARKDIESEL will become famous soon enough. (+50) SHARKDIESEL will become famous soon enough. (+50) SHARKDIESEL will become famous soon enough. (+50) SHARKDIESEL will become famous soon enough. (+50) SHARKDIESEL will become famous soon enough. (+50) SHARKDIESEL will become famous soon enough. (+50) SHARKDIESEL will become famous soon enough. (+50) SHARKDIESEL will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Gareth1979 View Post

Dude... get yourself some earbuds! It's as simple as that... pretend like you don't hear him at first and then make him repeat himself 3 or 4 times each time he approaches you. Then slowly put down the weights or get off the machine, even slower remove your gloves... then fuddle around for the pause button... then finally remove one earbud and say WHAT?? Can't hear you when I'm zoned out. Do this EACH time he tries to interrupt.

kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Show him how tough you are and hit him in the face with a 45lb plate. ( not srs ).

JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10) JChaos is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    1. Earbuds

2. (My favorites, he is doing this because it makes him feel important and knowledgeable, strike him socially, anyone of these would do it).

It is not appropriate to approach me like that.
    I do not value you.
    My time is important. (say nothing, he will say something, just shake your head) I don't have time for this.

hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The guys obviously just trying to help, whether you need it or not. Your form could be bad, but that's none of his business. Simply tell him the truth! You appreciate his offers to help you progress, but this is something you'd rather do on your own, even if you have to learn the hard way.
    Wut?

RaiseD2HarD is just really nice. (+1000) RaiseD2HarD is just really nice. (+1000) RaiseD2HarD is just really nice. (+1000) RaiseD2HarD is just really nice. (+1000) RaiseD2HarD is just really nice. (+1000) RaiseD2HarD is just really nice. (+1000) RaiseD2HarD is just really nice. (+1000) RaiseD2HarD is just really nice. (+1000) RaiseD2HarD is just really nice. (+1000) RaiseD2HarD is just really nice. (+1000) RaiseD2HarD is just really nice. (+1000)
    So this ******* thinks he'll put on 4 stones of muscle in 6 months. Either he's taking that celltech or a fuking moron.

Next time he tries to tell u chit just say no thanks mate and if he persists then just say "I didn't ask you, mind your own business".

Or just "fuk off pr1ck", that definitely do

Edit: I have a very experienced and knowledgable 'Pt' in my gym, if you have one of these types of people in ur gym speak to them and learn everything you can. Do your own research, put into practise and see what works for you
    Last edited by RaiseD2HarD; 02-27-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    "Harboring unforgiveness is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die".

++ Positive Crew ++

R.I.P mainsqueeze530 - too young to have gone.
    Yaboydave - He did it for the misc. In memory of a legend and the lulz

fitdragon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Giving advice once is ok but if it happens everytime you're at the gym then u can just tell him that you appreciate his advice but he is becoming a distraction. It's not like you need to care if he'll be offended.

Gym time is me time and I ain't letting anyone take that away from me.
    Hassan
    http://bellyfatdemolition.com/

selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000) selffirst is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

This is what you do....Next time he comments about your routine....look him straight in the eye and say, "Who asked ya"...Sometimes we need to man up and stand our ground....You leave that gym...you do so because you couldn't stand up for yourself......Be a man...show him you do have a pair.....
    While liftin duh weights I yell out..."You sexy beast"...."Squeeze metal for papa".

bigbigfrog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The reason i wear earbuds to gym. Ignore him. I have a bi*ch like that in my gym.

iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Earbuds and a hoodie. Keep the hood up, the volume cranked, and focus on your stretch and contraction. F him and his self righteousness.