poundcoin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Neck feels stiff and messed up after BB Shrugs

I have had some neck problems for a while.
    (mainly from poor computer posture, a little stiff and uneasy here and there but nothing major).

It is usually always cranky and I find myself constantly stretching it to make it crack as it eases the pain a bit.

Anyway I was doing neck stretching exercises for the past month and noticed it improving until I started doing BB Shrugs last week.

Now my neck is feeling extremely stiff for the past 4-5 days.
    I have tried stretching exercises on it every day following a good book I bought and it still hasn't gotten any better.
    I can't even crack it anymore or look all the way to my left or right without feeling a lot of tension.

I am not sure if it is the shrugs solely, I am also doing deadlifts, barbell rows and squats (JasonDB 5x5) but have been told that my form is very good on them so I doubt it was those.

Anyone have any advice for me, and any alternatives for shrugs in the mean time?

5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by poundcoin View Post
    I have had some neck problems for a while.
    (mainly from poor computer posture, a little stiff and uneasy here and there but nothing major).

It is usually always cranky and I find myself constantly stretching it to make it crack as it eases the pain a bit.

Anyway I was doing neck stretching exercises for the past month and noticed it improving until I started doing BB Shrugs last week.

Now my neck is feeling extremely stiff for the past 4-5 days.
    I have tried stretching exercises on it every day following a good book I bought and it still hasn't gotten any better.
    I can't even crack it anymore or look all the way to my left or right without feeling a lot of tension.

I am not sure if it is the shrugs solely, I am also doing deadlifts, barbell rows and squats (JasonDB 5x5) but have been told that my form is very good on them so I doubt it was those.

Anyone have any advice for me, and any alternatives for shrugs in the mean time?
    Have you tried covering a hot water bottle with a towel or cloth and applying it to the sore part of your neck? I had a neck injury a few weeks back where I couldn't even cough without it hurting, after I applied the heat it was tonnes better. Give it a try bud.

anonymous
    scap mobility work, stretch, dont do shrugs like 99.9% of people in gyms (go light, squeeze and better still do incline or horizontal shrugs)

Thanks I'll try some hot therapy on it and go lighter.

What is scap mobility work?

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by poundcoin View Post
    Thanks I'll try some hot therapy on it and go lighter.

What is scap mobility work?
    bands, face pulls, etc (scapula mobiity -google it)

make sure you are not putting your neck forward during heavy shrugs (or mil presses).

Originally Posted by k9pit View Post
    bands, face pulls, etc (scapula mobiity -google it)

make sure you are not putting your neck forward during heavy shrugs (or mil presses).
    Ah ok thanks.

I have a book I bought recently and it shows exercises such as chin tucks, neck extension etc.
    When I do shrugs I sort of keep my head tucked back (via chin) so its in a neutral position and aligned better.

I am not sure if that was smart or not but it's definitely never forward as I try to make a concious effort everywhere to keep it in a neutral position. (which for me means a slight chin tuck)

DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    look straight ahead when doing shrugs or you'll cause headaches and neck pain. Deadlifts and farmer carries will give you traps if you want to drop shrugs.