ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Injury during prep!

So I'm about 12 weeks out and messed up my back pretty damn good yesterday. Doctor said no weight training for a while, possibly 4-6 weeks. She also advised against "working through the pain". So, I haz questions:

If I continue to diet, maybe a bit of cardio, while not lifting...will I lose more muscle mass? Would it be a good idea to up calories to around maintenance? If I do that, then I won't be able to REALLY start prep till like 6 weeks out!

Or, is it more likely that laying off the weights while dieting will have little, if any, impact on my ability to retain muscle while dieting? Will I be just fine?

I'm sure I'm not the only one around here who got injured before a show. What's the best way to handle this?
    Work like a slave. Eat like a king. Sleep like a baby. Look like a GOD.

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪
    If I tell you "reps on recharge" and I forget, just remind me.

stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stubbee21 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Was this a medical Doctor or a Chiro? I would get a second opinion to be honest. Each time I have had a pretty severe back issue my chiro just says "you aren't going to the gym today are you?" She has never said I can't train.

ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThePinsir is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It was the nurse practitioner at the infirmary at my university. Also, I doesn't haz insurance. I'm becoming increasingly sure it's just a bad sprain, though. Maybe I can just take ONE week off and try arms, shoulders, chest, w/e

Work like a slave. Eat like a king. Sleep like a baby. Look like a GOD.

✪Saiyan ☾rew✪
    If I tell you "reps on recharge" and I forget, just remind me.

Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    see where you are at after 1 week of complete rest

you may not be able to do heavy compounds but you may be able to do exercises using machines that dont require you to use your back
    *ελευθερία ή θάνατος*
    ~ελληνικο crew~

**PhD in Broscience**

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."
    - Niccolo Machiavelli

Demon Fitness - Owner demonwareltd's Avatar
    demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If it was my back - I would take off from gym until its better. Keep diet in check and just target a later show. Back is involved in just about everything and working around it would be tough.

I strained my pec really bad 6 weeks out From my last show. I did 0 chest work the entire 6 weeks and it took over a month before I could even flex it.

Unless u can work around the injury and train hard, just pick another show

NGA\IFPA Pro Bodybuilder fltallpaul's Avatar
    fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Personally with a back issue i would tread lightly. If you are going to compete then I would propose this protocol.

Continue with diet and cardio, avoid any cardio which causes discomfort.
    Take Aleve and Ice your back daily.
    Look into Blood Flow Restriction Training which can prevent muscle atrophy while using much lower weight.
    Begin using supported movements like leg press and machine rowing for legs and back until you feel recovered to try light free weights.
    Muscle loss should not be a problem if you train smart.

The advice the NP gave you was probably standard stuff, you may want to get an MRI if you are able to just so you know you didn't do anything permanent. Always see a Dr. It will ease your mind.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

Core Nutritionals/Outwork Apparel Athlete

NGA & IFPA Pro Bodybuilder