Sculptid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Breakfast: Before or After Workout?

I finally joined a gym and it's starting tomorrow. I'll be working out from 6 AM to 7:30 AM. I've got college at 8:30 so I'll have to squeeze in my shower and breakfast between 7:30 and 8:00. I'm not sure how big of a breakfast I can have in this short period so I'm considering having breakfast before working out. But would this be healthy? And what kind of breakfast can I have before working out? Should be light or heavy? Any other relevant things I should be aware of?

BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You can have breakfast whenever you want, or skip it completely. Breakfast provides no special health benefit.
    The first known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used by Egyptians in 2000 B.C.

BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000)
    I do all my workouts fasted and even ran a half marathon fasted. I actually get sick if I have so much as a protein shake before training. Having said that, I habitually follow a low carb, high fat diet so my body is fat adapted and I can last until midday before eating without feeling weak or tired. If you are used to eating quite a few carbs you may struggle, so see how it goes.
    Current log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149169243

Now cutting!

CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarD1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BeingPaid View Post
    You can have breakfast whenever you want, or skip it completely. Breakfast provides no special health benefit.

NOT, breakfast starts your metabolism. i'd eat it afterwards, if you want to get lean cause your bodyfat and EVERYTHING is on idle when you wake up and if you exercise before you eat, you'll burn fat and restore it with your breakfast nutrition. (eggs= protein)

BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000) BeingPaid is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by CarD1 View Post
    NOT, breakfast starts your metabolism. i'd eat it afterwards, if you want to get lean cause your bodyfat and EVERYTHING is on idle when you wake up and if you exercise before you eat, you'll burn fat and restore it with your breakfast nutrition. (eggs= protein)
    This is nothing more than nonsense.
    The first known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used by Egyptians in 2000 B.C.

mwenzlaff has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mwenzlaff has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mwenzlaff has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mwenzlaff has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mwenzlaff has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mwenzlaff has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mwenzlaff has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mwenzlaff has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by BeingPaid View Post
    This is nothing more than nonsense.
    What planet do you live on man? Maybe if you start eating breakfast you will be more than 175lbs if you are trying to gain muscle.

Glucose is your bodys main source of fuel and the only sourse your brain and central nervous system can run on. When you eat breakfast regularly your blood glucose levels are about 100mg/dl. When you do not eat breakfast your body has blood glucose of about 70mg/dl when you wake up and drastically decreases till it has no glucose and will turn to its glycogen (stored reserve glucose) and protein stored in your muscles. Your body will have to use twice as much protein to create the fuel in needs compared to one glucose it could use. Eating breakfast will give you that adequate fuel you need.
    Meow.

tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tzalma1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mwenzlaff View Post
    What planet do you live on man? Maybe if you start eating breakfast you will be more than 175lbs if you are trying to gain muscle.

Glucose is your bodys main source of fuel and the only sourse your brain and central nervous system can run on. When you eat breakfast regularly your blood glucose levels are about 100mg/dl. When you do not eat breakfast your body has blood glucose of about 70mg/dl when you wake up and drastically decreases till it has no glucose and will turn to its glycogen (stored reserve glucose) and protein stored in your muscles. Your body will have to use twice as much protein to create the fuel in needs compared to one glucose it could use. Eating breakfast will give you that adequate fuel you need.
    he wasnt advocating not eating breakfast....only saying its nonsense that you burn fat better because you skipped out on breakfast before lifting
    [ ] Bulking [x] Cutting

LSU '09

Current PRs:
    BP/S/D/OHP: 285/375/405/180
    Big 3: 1065
    Big 4: 1245

caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10) caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10) caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10) caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10) caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10) caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10) caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10) caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10) caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10) caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10) caderaderbs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I always have to have mine preworkout but everybody is obviously different.
    My ICF 5x5 Workout Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164244111

Sweatin' to death in FL jubjubrsx's Avatar
    jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i like to eat breakfast an hr before my workout....on the weekends.....well i always eat an hr before my workout to be honest....

and yes dont skip breakfast completely it kind of jumpstarts your metabolism
    Runner Crew (48.6 miles Dopey Challenge -- Completed)
    Skinny to fat back to skinny crew
    Just say no to Carbs

Originally Posted by CarD1 View Post
    Originally Posted by mwenzlaff View Post
    What planet do you live on man? Maybe if you start eating breakfast ...
    Originally Posted by jubjubrsx View Post
    and yes dont skip breakfast completely it kind of jumpstarts your metabolism
    Do any of you have proof-read evidence to support this claim? Or did you simply read it out of a magazine somewhere.. or maybe the BB.com articles...

And FYI - I eat breakfast every day, because it's convenient for me. However, there are lots of bodybuilders on this site who don't eat breakfast, or they use IF and simply don't eat in the morning at all - some of which are competitors.

justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you can eat 2 meals if you want in a day. If you need 3000 cals in the day then you could have 2 meals that are 1500 cals each. You could make this lunch and dinner if you want to. The odd time I will just have a breakfast and a dinner and have 1400 cals each meal. meal frequency and timing is irrelevant.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Can't stand eating before a workout

I like having all my exercise done before any eating, then I can relax and enjoy food knowing I've done everything

fitdragon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I experimented with both.....I feel more energized and push harder if I have a protein shake for breakfast 15-20 mins before my workout. However, I usually eat a bowl of red kidney beans or 3 hard boiled eggs after.
    Hassan
    http://bellyfatdemolition.com/

justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    in other words.... personal pref. if you enjoy working out on a full stomach do it. If you enjoy working out on an empty stomach and want to eat after then do it. If you want to workout with an empty stomach and then not eat until lunch thats fine. If you want to workout on an empty stomach and then have a shake after because you are pressed for time and then you fit your macros in your other meals that is fine. This is why so many people have different ways of doing things because its personal pref.

anonymous
    need to prime that anabolic environment before going to battle with the weights, bro. Any serious Iron Warrior knows that a cup of oats mixed with egg whites and celltech should be consumed 15 minutes prior to striding into combat.

srs though, I just have an apple pre WO at 6-30 because it takes the pillow taste out of my mouth, then eggs + things after.. couldn't imagine training in the am with a stomach full of bro-food