iHeartShrugs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Struggling to curl. Need some suggestions for forearm work.

So I seem to have the opposite problem to most novices; I suck at barbell curls. I cannot get more than one rep with just the bar. I was previously very close to being anorexic so I believe this resulted is very, very poor strength.

Now this might be because I'm starting on a very high volume workout; JasonDB's 5x5. However, everything else seems fine and I don't notice a lack of energy by the end of the workout. Today I decided that I'd try to isolate what the problem was; I tried sitting on a high box and just doing the movement from forearms perpendicular to upper arm, up to palms facing shoulder, and back down again. Completely fine, plenty of reps with weight, no struggle.

I don't have any dumbells so I can't test it, but by deduction I believe the problem lies with weak forearms. I was therefore thinking of substituting the entire curl movement with separate bicep and forearm work until I can do a full set of curls with full ROM.

What would you guys suggest for forearm work?

flex713 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flex713 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flex713 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flex713 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flex713 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) flex713 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by iHeartShrugs View Post
    So I seem to have the opposite problem to most novices; I suck at barbell curls. I cannot get more than one rep with just the bar. I was previously very close to being anorexic so I believe this resulted is very, very poor strength.

Now this might be because I'm starting on a very high volume workout; JasonDB's 5x5. However, everything else seems fine and I don't notice a lack of energy by the end of the workout. Today I decided that I'd try to isolate what the problem was; I tried sitting on a high box and just doing the movement from forearms perpendicular to upper arm, up to palms facing shoulder, and back down again. Completely fine, plenty of reps with weight, no struggle.

I don't have any dumbells so I can't test it, but by deduction I believe the problem lies with weak forearms. I was therefore thinking of substituting the entire curl movement with separate bicep and forearm work until I can do a full set of curls with full ROM.

What would you guys suggest for forearm work?
    You will never be strong in every lift give it time for your biceps to gain strength it will happen eventually. Patience and Consistency is key!! If you need any advice feel free to email me

TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000) TCO76 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by flex713 View Post
    You will never be strong in every lift give it time for your biceps to gain strength it will happen eventually. Patience and Consistency is key!! If you need any advice feel free to email me
    He nailed it right here. Why do you think I keep my PR's a big secret.

Well that's motivational and all, but I don't see that I have much room for progression after only being able to do 5x1 barbell curls with no weight for 3 weeks.

I wanted to tackle this problem head on; what's the best thing I can do to target forearms?

...and don't say barbell curls

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    I don't understand how you think your forearms are the limiting factor in a bicep isolation exercise. You are simply weak at the bottom portion of the lift. If you can't curl the bar and don't have dumbells then grab a 25 or 35lb plate and do hammer curls with it.
    Experience, not just theory

5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 5TR0NGMAN is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    If you are having trouble with the bar you could just hold a weight plate in either hand until you get the strength to lift the bar and weights, don't worry about not being able to do it just yet, you are at least making the effort which will pay off eventually.

For your forearms you could try resting your arms on a bench or any flat surface so you don't engage the bicep and curling a light weight for 10-15 reps.

Hope this helps buddy.

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you can't curl the bar, I'd really suggest starting with underhand pullups instead. You'll probably gain strength and size much quicker that way than with such light curls, although down the road you're going to need to start hitting the curls to keep progressing.

Cheers guys, I'll try hammer curls with some plates and maybe with the bench and see what works best for me next time.

And I wish I could pull/chin; one day. At that point I won't worry all that much about my curls.

DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkFoxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Find a lighter weight bar that you can do 5 reps with, you'll be able to progress to the oly bar quicker than you think.