ncj01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ncj01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ncj01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ncj01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ncj01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ncj01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ncj01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ncj01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ncj01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ncj01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ncj01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

working chest with messed up shoulder

My left shoulder is jacked up. Don't know if it's rotator cuff or what. Doesn't hurt if I keep my elbows in/down, but if I try to bench, pushup, over-head press, it hurts in the joint.

How can i get any chest work in like this?

thnx
    N

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ncj01 View Post
    Doesn't hurt if I keep my elbows in/down,
    ^^^^^ that's how I do it.

SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000)
    Get it checked and rest it. I've allowed a minor shoulder complaint to become a full impingement (reduced movement, pain at rest, etc) because I didn't.
    Squat (noun) A means of helping men understand what it feels like to give birth.

nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nowheateater has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by SleeperService View Post
    Get it checked and rest it. I've allowed a minor shoulder complaint to become a full impingement (reduced movement, pain at rest, etc) because I didn't.
    ^This. I ignored a pain in my shoulder and ended up with a ruptured bicep tendon and a torn labrum. Surgery and a long rehab ahead. Get it looked at
    No Grain...No Pain... Gluten free since 2007

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by nowheateater View Post
    ^This. I ignored a pain in my shoulder and ended up with a ruptured bicep tendon and a torn labrum. Surgery and a long rehab ahead. Get it looked at
    x1000

Did the same thing and my shoulder is ruined for life. I'm limping along with relatively light flat and decline work, no incline or OHP, until I have to have it replaced.

Take it easy, see a physician, work on form, rearrange your routine to accomodate your problems. I wouldn't just power through the pain.

Does DB work hurt? For me they've been a great alternative and do not cause nearly the problems.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

jgnin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    just my own personal experience, but the same thing happened to me about 18 months ago, got it checked by the doc and she said it was tendinitis. She recommended resting it for a while (i didn't but i did push lighter).........long story short it nagged on for about a year until it finally seemed to go away. I'm pushing heavier again now and some days i can feel it creeping back in......never seems to fully go away if you train at all.....

nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nixter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Figuring out the actual issue through physio is best. But in general, rest is required. If your issue is similar to mine then rotator cuff exercises will help. Internal and external cable pulls as well as face pulls. Face pulls are fantastic for shoulder health.

SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well I've found the perils of self diagnosis myself. Our rugby physio - who is a very good sports physio - has actually determined that I have long head bicep tendonitis and not a shoulder impingement (amongst other things I failed the empty can test).

The bottom line is that you need to get someone who knows what they're doing to assess your injury otherwise you may pursue treatments which do not address your condition, wasting time and potentially making it worse.
    Squat (noun) A means of helping men understand what it feels like to give birth.

Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SleeperService View Post
    Well I've found the perils of self diagnosis myself. Our rugby physio - who is a very good sports physio - has actually determined that I have long head bicep tendonitis and not a shoulder impingement (amongst other things I failed the empty can test).

The bottom line is that you need to get someone who knows what they're doing to assess your injury otherwise you may pursue treatments which do not address your condition, wasting time and potentially making it worse.
    Agreed! I dealt with my shoulders for years not really knowing what was going on. Doing rotator cuff exercises to help strengthen it....ended up having three different operations in one. If you don't know what the real issue is you can't properly address it.

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I injured my left rotator cuff twice, the last time in 2006. I moved to the Smith Machine for benches and inclines, keeping the range of motion at 75% to eliminate strain on the delts and it worked magically. My chest got bigger and thicker because the stress was staying on my chest, not the delts.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I had a similar issue to the point pain was keeping me awake at night. Wife convinced me to see the doctor. It was a partially torn rotator cuff. No heavy chest or bi's for 6 months. Triceps, legs and back became a focus. One bonus was 8 weeks of PT with a super cute Physical Therapist.
    "One who sees the inaction that is in action, and the action that is an inaction, is wise indeed."

-- The Bhgagavad Gita

jcpeyton will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpeyton will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpeyton will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpeyton will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpeyton will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpeyton will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpeyton will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpeyton will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpeyton will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpeyton will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcpeyton will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My left shoulder is jacked up. Don't know if it's rotator cuff or what. Doesn't hurt if I keep my elbows in/down, but if I try to bench, pushup, over-head press, it hurts in the joint.

thnx
    N
    I had this happen about 6-9mos ago and went to the doc since it was hampering me and I was concerned about a tear. Diagnosed with bursitis and was told to just take it easy and rest it for a while. I ended up going over to the smith machine for bench press and made sure that I was pushing the bar out away from me rather than straight up or arching back. This range of motion is a lot more friendly for the shoulders. You can kinda implement the same strategy with Military press for the shoulders as well but you may find it easier to go with dumbbells and adjust the rom by tilting the bench back a little further. Good luck.

JonahGold has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jcpeyton View Post
    I had this happen about 6-9mos ago and went to the doc since it was hampering me and I was concerned about a tear. Diagnosed with bursitis and was told to just take it easy and rest it for a while. I ended up going over to the smith machine for bench press and made sure that I was pushing the bar out away from me rather than straight up or arching back. This range of motion is a lot more friendly for the shoulders. You can kinda implement the same strategy with Military press for the shoulders as well but you may find it easier to go with dumbbells and adjust the rom by tilting the bench back a little further. Good luck.
    Its much better to rest and let it heal than deal with serious injury and being out for 6-9 months!!.

Work legs and cardio only or very isolated arm exercises until all discomfort is gone, your body is telling you something!!

Ice 12-15 minutes, anti inflammatory (600mg Ibu) and very light stretching.

Once pain is gone, go to very light (5-8lb) front raises for a week or so.

When you feel up to it, go push ups, D.Bell flies, maybe very light 3/4 bench press, but only 3/4 way down.
    You gain next to nothing off your chest anyway, but more stress on cuff.

You can try reverse grip benching, but it still bothered my shoulder.
    Going 3/4 down is fine for me on benching- tension is constant and works chest very well now, OR work the smith machine.

No more Military behind neck presses-those days are gone, strictly Dbell Lateral / Front Raise-Hits same muscles anyway and no stress.
    Hear me now or believe me later. Good luck

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by bayou_piper View Post
    I had a similar issue to the point pain was keeping me awake at night. Wife convinced me to see the doctor. It was a partially torn rotator cuff. No heavy chest or bi's for 6 months. Triceps, legs and back became a focus. One bonus was 8 weeks of PT with a super cute Physical Therapist.
    Funny. When I hurt mine the first time, I couldn't lay down in bed that night. I had to sleep that night(and the following night Sunday) sitting in a recliner! Went to see the doctor on Monday.

I only had 6 weeks of PT and it was a guy.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

JonahGold has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by egoatdoor View Post
    Funny. When I hurt mine the first time, I couldn't lay down in bed that night. I had to sleep that night(and the following night Sunday) sitting in a recliner! Went to see the doctor on Monday.

I only had 6 weeks of PT and it was a guy.
    Me too! Was in a sling shortly thereafter.

And ditto on the male PT!

Wished I had known on the 75% partial movement on bench, which doesnt affect chest growth or strength at all, may even help, as the tension is total.

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

thnx
    N
    <---- Don't wind up like that. That was the day I came home from rotator cuff surgery. I did the same thing, trying to find a position that was not painful. For years I worked through it, only to find out I had two full thickness tears and a split biceps long head tendon. See a sports doc, sports chiro, or ortho and get pics (x-rays, MRI) taken. Hopefully it's just over use that ice, rest and an NSAID will take care of.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Minotaur, welcome back....

Op, as many have said do not fuk around with your shoulder.

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by djflex View Post
    Minotaur, welcome back....
    Thanks.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).