Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Derekdiruz is on a distinguished road. (+10)

So I heard In class today....

Today in class my nutrition teacher (Ph.D) told us we need .8-1.0g of protein per body weight in kilograms. This raised a red flag for me. I raised my hand and asked if she meant kilograms or pounds. She ensures me it was kg. then we got into a discussion because I've always heard that 1-1.5g pro per pound was acceptable to build muscle. For me that's around 200g a day. If I follow her it's 80g per day tops. She also stated the reason is because your body only used around that amount for muscle building before disposing of the rest or converting it. This excess amount not used for muscle building places a large strain on the kidneys resulting in failure and complications (that she claims to have seen first hand) later in life.

All in all I am wondering the "truth" behind this. I believe her to an extent but to do so fully I feel as if I've been living a lie lol. Any input is appreciated.

Derek
    365D/305S/245B

Nothing special, but certainly improving.

ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    that is old info that has since been proven wrong I don't have the studies but I believe another member would be able to provide you with them.

Stick with 1-1.5g
    Always learning, Always growing, Never satisfied

5 Rep Maxes(Last improvement 1/15/14):

Deads:365
    Bench:215
    Squat:275

"You are so much more than just a guy who likes to lift and eat, don't settle for being just those things."
    -The Big Sleep

justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10) justin0202 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    lol 80 grams of protein for u.. tell her shes a moron and to go read the stickies lmao!!!

Originally Posted by Derekdiruz View Post
    Today in class my nutrition teacher (Ph.D) told us we need .8-1.0g of protein per body weight in kilograms. This raised a red flag for me. I raised my hand and asked if she meant kilograms or pounds. She ensures me it was kg. then we got into a discussion because I've always heard that 1-1.5g pro per pound was acceptable to build muscle. For me that's around 200g a day. If I follow her it's 80g per day tops. She also stated the reason is because your body only used around that amount for muscle building before disposing of the rest or converting it. This excess amount not used for muscle building places a large strain on the kidneys resulting in failure and complications (that she claims to have seen first hand) later in life.

All in all I am wondering the "truth" behind this. I believe her to an extent but to do so fully I feel as if I've been living a lie lol. Any input is appreciated.

Derek

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That intake is totally fine for most sedentary folks, with 0.82 grams per pound (~1.8 grams per kg) being (more than) enough for someone engaging in vigorous weight lifting.

That said, there's nothing wrong with consuming more protein if that's one's personal preference.

magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    what a d bag
    East Coast Mecca
    http://bevfrancis.com/

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    The recommendations made here are for people doing resistance training - so the protein requirement is going to be a lot higher than what's recommended for Joe public unsuprisingly.

sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ThousandEyes View Post
    that is old info that has since been proven wrong I don't have the studies but I believe another member would be able to provide you with them.

Stick with 1-1.5g
    So there are studies disproving that too much protein is hard on your kidneys?

Not being a smart ass just would like to know where I might find these.

iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50) iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50) iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50) iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50) iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50) iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50) iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50) iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50) iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50) iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50) iownaniroc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Slash her tires.
    **Thinks he is huge but is not huge crew**

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by sczott52 View Post
    So there are studies disproving that too much protein is hard on your kidneys? Not being a smart ass just would like to know where I might find these.
    High protein diets are only contraindicated in those with existing renal disease.

See: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1262767/

I used to weigh 300lbs. Former300lber's Avatar
    Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Former300lber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You want to know the truth behind protein? Nobody really knows the truth, There are so many studies on this, and on that, etc, It all comes down to the individual, Some people see progress with high protein diets, and some people see progress with low protein diets, Don't over complicate things.

What you hear today, could contradict what you hear tomorrow. Just eat, and experiment with your self because only you will know what work's for you.

I've cut, and bulked on no more then 130g's of protein a day successfully, I've even had days where I've consumed as little as 30-40 grams.

Cheers.
    "The reason why we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind the scenes with everyone else's highlight reel."

Come at me, bro! foodandfitness's Avatar
    foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Your professor was likely referring to the RDA for protein for sedentary people which is about that amount.

Of course the recommendations are different for strength athletes.

This could be a good learning opportunity for you to visit your professor during office hours and to bring literature with you supporting a higher protein diet. You could have a good scientific discussion, and if your goal was to show your professor that higher protein diets do have merit in certain populations, you could likely achieve this. Just my 2 cents.

sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sczott52 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    High protein diets are only contraindicated in those with existing renal disease.

See: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1262767/
    Thanks, I've also had success eating less protein than what this site advocates fyi...

HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HunterCML has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your professor is correct. The RDA is not directed toward people who are involved in resistance training or individuals who have low bodyfat.
    IIFYM - not even once.

www.AlanAragon.com

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Thanks, I've also had success eating less protein than what this site advocates fyi...
    But how do you know that you couldn't have made better progress with a more optimal protein intake?

There isn't a hard cutoff... but suboptimal practices will start to catch up with you as you get more advanced and progress gets harder to achieve.

Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    But how do you know that you couldn't have made better progress with a more optimal protein intake?

There isn't a hard cutoff... but suboptimal practices will start to catch up with you as you get more advanced and progress gets harder to achieve.
    exactly

comments like this are ridiculous.

its like saying getting from point a to point b.

someone walks, the other one drives

"I got to point b just fine by walking"
    but what was more time efficient?

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post

This is a valid point, I've dieted in the past being concerned with macronutrients and protein intake, and I would eventually fail miserably. I don't plan on being a competitive body builder so my goals are different than a lot of people on this site. I happy with my progress and also happy being able to eat whatever I feel like eating when I feel like eating it and not having to worry about getting in the extra 40g of protein. I keep my calories in check and I am fine for now.

Originally Posted by Delgadido View Post
    exactly

comments like this are ridiculous.

its like saying getting from point a to point b.

someone walks, the other one drives

"I got to point b just fine by walking"
    but what was more time efficient?
    Right, but if I run out of gas driving then it doesn't help. As of right now I prefer to walk my fren....