Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)

Leather vs Nylon Strap Skin Burn

I got an injury in a finger and trying to heal it so using straps. I wrap the straps to take as much weight off the grip as I can. Problem is with 300 lb deadlifts strap digs into wrist and causes visible skin burn/irritation. Skin peals in the area.

These would be Rogue's ~$10 nylon straps, non-Ohio.

Are leather straps better in this case? Are straps supposed to be broken in? Also have Versa grips, those cause no irritation but can't take as much weight off grip.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmmainvi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Detrus View Post
    I got an injury in a finger and trying to heal it so using straps. I wrap the straps to take as much weight off the grip as I can. Problem is with 300 lb deadlifts strap digs into wrist and causes visible skin burn/irritation. Skin peals in the area.

These would be Rogue's ~$10 nylon straps, non-Ohio.

Are leather straps better in this case? Are straps supposed to be broken in? Also have Versa grips, those cause no irritation but can't take as much weight off grip.
    In my experience, that's going to happen no matter what straps you use. It shouldn't be bad enough to tear your skin, but some people do have sensitive skin that tears very easily.

Breaking your straps in might help. Take them outside and rub them against your driveway until they lose any sharpness in the ends (where they were melted or otherwise coated to "finish" the strap). Then run them through the washer/dryer a couple times, and finally rub an ungodly amount of chalk into them. Like I said - might help. Might not, but there's no harm in trying.

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    I thought you were only supposed to wash that kind of nylon in cold water with soap.

It's interesting how Versa Grips have a lot of puss padding that fixes this. And I was annoyed by how bulky they were.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I got an injury in a finger and trying to heal it ...
    What's the nature of the finger injury?
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    What's the nature of the finger injury?
    Middle finger on left hand. lol.

I was using grippers. Didn't warm up thoroughly. Went to 250 on heavy grips. I think I did farmers walks that day too. Felt a big pain around finger knuckle. Stopped. Next day it still hurt doing nothing. Hurt more washing dishes, doing anything with hand. After a week I started using it again, did some farmer walks. Felt fine. Deadlifted too, felt fine during the lifting. Then it started hurting doing nothing again.

So now I'm trying to work it as little as possible. I can do pulls without pain but then it hurts after. If I press down on the middle finger, in the direction of pinky, it hurts.

-aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Actually, you'll probably want to try out a 2" wide strap, like the one Spud Inc. sells, and are even available on the Rogue website.. Very comfortable.

http://www.roguefitness.com/2-wrist-straps.php interesting. Says it's a softer material. Isn't leather a softer material too? Or is it the 2" width that eases the burn?

Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Porphyry has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Middle finger on left hand. lol.

I was using grippers. Didn't warm up thoroughly. Went to 250 on heavy grips. I think I did farmers walks that day too. Felt a big pain around finger knuckle. Stopped. Next day it still hurt doing nothing. Hurt more washing dishes, doing anything with hand. After a week I started using it again, did some farmer walks. Felt fine. Deadlifted too, felt fine during the lifting. Then it started hurting doing nothing again.

So now I'm trying to work it as little as possible. I can do pulls without pain but then it hurts after. If I press down on the middle finger, in the direction of pinky, it hurts.
    I hurt my middle right finger a couple of months ago. It was OK for a while but Deadlifts started to aggravate it to the point where I had to stop. I switched to RDLs and started using my lifting straps:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=482&pid=4616

I like the way this style of strap doesn't cinch up and tighten continually but I don't know if that will help with the burning. Someone recently posted a video on making something like this with just some electrical tape and webbing (it's just a loop) but if I were to make them I'd also use 2" webbing and use a slightly longer tail but YMMV depending on your hand size...

-aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000) -aesop- is a name known to all. (+5000)
    http://www.roguefitness.com/2-wrist-straps.php interesting. Says it's a softer material. Isn't leather a softer material too? Or is it the 2" width that eases the burn?
    The width is fantastic. It also feels much softer to your skin because its thickness almost acts like padding as well.

Well Rogue considers their leather lifting straps to be the softest compared to the spud lifting straps. Something like this http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gl/neopad.html is also worth considering because Versa gripps have that padding but I can't tell if it covers all the angles like Versa. Looks like the padding is only at the back which is not the area of most stress for me. This design is like Versa http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sck/pad.html