dalbertgrady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is walking with weights around the feet unhealthy?

I was thinking about getting some of those little weight straps which you wrap around your ankles.
    I think they weigh between 2 and 3 kilos. Would walking around with them be a good exercise or would
    this be unhealthy? I am talking about WALKING not jogging. Anything which would speak against this?

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If your shins, feet and lower body joints are not conditioned for it then it has the definite possibility to be very unhealthy. You should work up to wearing them for any length of time. I'm not sure what a good adjustment period would be just because I don't know of any studies or recommendations out there. A lot of running authorities suggest to never increase your work capacity by more than 10% a week so maybe that could be a starting point. Wear the weights on your feet for a few minutes at a time, then work up to longer periods.

What are you training for?

LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dalbertgrady View Post
    I was thinking about getting some of those little weight straps which you wrap around your ankles.
    I think they weigh between 2 and 3 kilos. Would walking around with them be a good exercise or would
    this be unhealthy? I am talking about WALKING not jogging. Anything which would speak against this?
    Try it, if your joints hurt afterwards it was too much, if you felt like it was fine, it was fine. If you continue to use them and you start to get ankle pain, stop doing it. Find the amount YOU can use them without any sort of pain.

If you don't have joint / ankle/ foot pain from using them, you're in the clear.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    You'd be running the risk of joint injury (hyperextending the knees comes to mind here), and for no benefit.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

JohnPurple will become famous soon enough. (+50) JohnPurple will become famous soon enough. (+50) JohnPurple will become famous soon enough. (+50) JohnPurple will become famous soon enough. (+50) JohnPurple will become famous soon enough. (+50) JohnPurple will become famous soon enough. (+50) JohnPurple will become famous soon enough. (+50) JohnPurple will become famous soon enough. (+50) JohnPurple will become famous soon enough. (+50) JohnPurple will become famous soon enough. (+50) JohnPurple will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That should be fine. My doctor told one of my friends to wear weights around her wrists/ankles so she can strengthen herself.

Registered you, sir. trimble006's Avatar
    trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    You'd be running the risk of joint injury (hyperextending the knees comes to mind here), and for no benefit.
    ironwill is right. Sit on the edge of a chair and hook one foot in front of the other and pull back your front foot while pushing forward with your rear foot. I bet you can feel your knee joint right underneath your knee cap extend just a bit. Sounds like a pretty uncomfortable walk to me to have your knee joints extended and swinging the entire time while walking.

What are you trying to gain by doing this? Strength?
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #54 ▪█─────█▪

-✘- Edmonton Oilers -✘-
    -✘- Toronto Blue Jays -✘-

Hi, I was just thinking maybe this is a good and easy way to strengthen your lower body muscles and burn calories cause I walk a lot and I already wear work boots which weigh like 1 kilo each and since this weight doesn't bother me at all I thought why not add some more weight. But if this is bad for the knees then this is no option.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Hi, I was just thinking maybe this is a good and easy way to strengthen your lower body muscles and burn calories cause I walk a lot and I already wear work boots which weigh like 1 kilo each and since this weight doesn't bother me at all I thought why not add some more weight. But if this is bad for the knees then this is no option.
    Just move the weight higher up. I.e. go for walks wearing a heavy backpack or a weight vest.

Farmer's Carries, where you carry a weight in each hand, is also an option.

See: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...loaded_carries
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

So wearing around the feet is always bad? I thought that getting used to weights around the feet would also increase kicking strength in case I ever needed to kick someone.
    Imagine you're used to having 3-4 kilos around your ankles and walk around this way. I'm sure this would create a lot of kicking power.

trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I thought that getting used to weights around the feet would also increase kicking strength in case I ever needed to kick someone.
    Imagine you're used to having 3-4 kilos around your ankles and walk around this way. I'm sure this would create a lot of kicking power.
    You may consider wearing your steel toed work boots everywhere if you find yourself in these situations on a regular basis.

There are many body weight exercises you can do to strengthen your legs, or as KBKB suggested, moving the weight higher to put stress on your muscles is a great way to do it too. Think about setting aside two hours wages of work a month aside to pay for a gym membership or work an extra hour of OT each month. It's a great way to feel great, strengthen your whole body, learn a ton about yourself, nutrition, your body, and all that good stuff - and it's fun!

As an aside, your knee joints work in a manner of which gravity is applied from above. They're not used to being tugged on, nor built for it. I'm sure your knee joints sometimes hurt a bit just from wearing your work boots! Take care of them, they'll be carrying you for a lifetime.

-✘- Edmonton Oilers -✘-

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Wearing these may work better......and probably would help increase your vertical leap. I would advise against using this gym bag. That thing is just hideous!
    Attached Images
    []---[] Equipment crew member #51 []---[]

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why not just put rocks/weights/water in a backpack and go for a walk? It seems like the strength gains would be minimal, but you would certainly burn calories if you push the pace a bit.

Edit: I just saw KBKB's post.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Hi, I was just thinking maybe this is a good and easy way to strengthen your lower body muscles and burn calories
    Joint issues aside, how much strength do you think you'd gain, and how many extra calories do you think you'd burn from carrying only 5 pounds?
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Damn, are you saying that wearing heavy steel toe boots daily and walking around with them will also hurt the knees? I have been wearing them daily for months now and I can't say that I have any problems. But now I'm scared. But I don't want to go back to wearing normal shoes. I love dem boots. They give me some security when I know that in case I was being attacked I could kick my attacker full force and hit him with a steel toe. I'm sure this would come as a real nasty little surprise. I really wonder how much damage can you do with such a steel toe? Sometimes I really feel like testing them and kicking against a car door or something.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I really wonder how much damage can you do with such a steel toe? Sometimes I really feel like testing them and kicking against a car door or something.
    I do hope that I don't live near you.

Let me get this straight... your fitness goal is to develop the leg strength for being truly bad-ass at kicking stuff with steel toed boots?

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    I do hope that I don't live near you.

Let me get this straight... your fitness goal is to develop the leg strength for being truly bad-ass at kicking stuff with steel toed boots?
    Time to let this thread die I think...

-✘- Edmonton Oilers -✘-

KalleA is just really nice. (+1000) KalleA is just really nice. (+1000) KalleA is just really nice. (+1000) KalleA is just really nice. (+1000) KalleA is just really nice. (+1000) KalleA is just really nice. (+1000) KalleA is just really nice. (+1000) KalleA is just really nice. (+1000) KalleA is just really nice. (+1000) KalleA is just really nice. (+1000) KalleA is just really nice. (+1000)
    So wearing around the feet is always bad? I thought that getting used to weights around the feet would also increase kicking strength in case I ever needed to kick someone.
    As already noted by several learned forum colleagues, it is a bad idea for the knee joints to be loaded in tension. Ergo, for walking, heavy boots or ankle weights should be avoided whenever possible.

Swimming, however, is another matter. As we all know, swimming is good for the joints. All the joints. Swimming will really improve your kicking power as well. For swimming, wearing heavy boots and ankle weights will do wonders for your kicking. Ideally, you should also wear a heavy back pack AND a weight vest - this will have you kicking like crazy in no time. Yup, swimming might be just the thing for you. Lots of stuff there to kick: dolphins, submarines, tuna cans and whatever else that lives in water and deserves a proper kicking.

Note: nobody knows more about kicking than the Germans, and the German word "Boot" means boat! There's a message for all of us!

Cheers

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by KalleA View Post
    As already noted by several learned forum colleagues, it is a bad idea for the knee joints to be loaded in tension. Ergo, for walking, heavy boots or ankle weights should be avoided whenever possible.

Swimming, however, is another matter. As we all know, swimming is good for the joints. All the joints. Swimming will really improve your kicking power as well. For swimming, wearing heavy boots and ankle weights will do wonders for your kicking. Ideally, you should also wear a heavy back pack AND a weight vest - this will have you kicking like crazy in no time. Yup, swimming might be just the thing for you. Lots of stuff there to kick: dolphins, submarines, tuna cans and whatever else that lives in water and deserves a proper kicking.

Note: nobody knows more about kicking than the Germans, and the German word "Boot" means boat! There's a message for all of us!

Cheers
    Lol, I started to add my own $.02 about practicing kicking things as a sport-specific exercise to improve kicking ability, but when I read the bit about wearing a backpack AND a weight vest while swimming, I knew that I just couldn't improve on the above post!
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

Originally Posted by KalleA View Post

Cheers
    Originally Posted by rlundregan View Post
    Lol, I started to add my own $.02 about practicing kicking things as a sport-specific exercise to improve kicking ability, but when I read the bit about wearing a backpack AND a weight vest while swimming, I knew that I just couldn't improve on the above post!
    I agree. I think that KalleA has come up with the perfect regimen for the OP.