Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000)

IronMaster owners: Got a Question! (Keetman and KBKB gtfih)

As illustrated here, it appears possible to load standard pancake plates on an IronMaster dumbbell handle.

Awesome!

My question is (and I suspect the answer is yes), can you do the same on the IronMaster Kettlebell handle attachment.

The reason I ask is that I am considering the purchase of the Quick-Lock Dumbbell Handle Set anyway, but the price increase to buy two of the Kettlebell handle attachments instead is trivial.

I have a bunch of pancake plates...does anybody own the IM KB handle and some standard plates who can verify this configuration, and maybe post a pic or two of what it looks like "in racked position" when holding them?

Thanks!
    ()---() York Barbell Club #5 ()---()
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #10 -!!!---!!!-

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
    Winston Churchill

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sorry, I don't have the KB handle for the IM's, so I can't really help you. Since the plates worked so well with the IM handles, I would imagine it would work. I'm pretty sure KBKB has the KB handle though, so he should be able to give you an answer.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonter is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks, Keetman.

I ended up just pulling the trigger on a good used deal I found on Amazon. Two Kettlebell Handles. Each are 22.5 =45 lbs both handles and 57.5 additional weights (Total 102.5 lbs.), plus screws that I would have had to buy separately for $220 shipped. Compared to the pricing direct from IM, I got free shipping and 57.5 lb. of plates for free.

I figure I'll make use of them as they are (with the IM plates) even if I can't use my own standard plates as well. I am sure they will work fine, though, it just might be weird racking with the larger plates. I'll post a follow-up within a week!

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.
    Winston Churchill

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
    Mahatma Gandhi

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I tried it out using two 10lb plates. I found that I couldn't turn the screw with just the plates, but I added a washer and was able to turn it almost exactly a quarter of a turn.

I did some swings, cleans, snatches, and presses with it. The plates stayed in place throughout all of those movements. Holding the bell in the rack position might almost feel better than when using the square plates from Ironmaster. The plates didn't hit my forearm when at the top of a press or snatch.

Note the gap between the screw head and the plate. There's a washer in there.

A size comparison between the 45lb Ironmaster + standard plate kettlebell and a 20kg (44lb) Lifeline USA kettlebell:

The kettlebell disassembled. Calico cat optional. Note the 1" washer.

Attached Images
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Washers

I thought I'd say a few more words about the use of washers...

The square plates from Ironmaster are (mostly) of a thickness so that you can (usually) turn the lock-screw 1/4 to 3/4 of a turn. There are some instances, using Ironmaster plates, where this is not possible. This includes using plates that are either warped or slightly out of tolerance or when assembling a very light dumbbell using 2.5lb plates.

When you use other plates, you may get lucky and be able to turn the lock-screw by the requisite amount. Or it may be that you won't be able to turn it at all, which is what happened to me when I tried it with the two 10lb standard plates shown in an earlier post. It can also happen that you can turn the lock-screw, but it's too close to the disengagement point to be considered safe. You can easily work around this problem by just adding a spacer - I use washers - which change the overall thickness so that the lock-screws can be used safely.

See this post in the Dumbbell Thread for even more detail.

That is too cool, and just what I had in mind.
    Thank you so much for the thorough investigation, just as in this thread, you come through with excellent photos and everything!

Question: I assume you used the regular size lock-screw above, how much play did you have left? Would it have been able to hold an additional one or two 10 lb. plates safely or would you need to use your expansion sized screw?

Winston Churchill

Mahatma Gandhi

Originally Posted by Vermonter View Post
    Question: I assume you used the regular size lock-screw above, how much play did you have left? Would it have been able to hold an additional one or two 10 lb. plates safely or would you need to use your expansion sized screw?
    There was a lot of thread left.

The thickness of a 5lb Ironmaster plate is 0.5". The thickness of the 10lb standard plates that I own is just under 0.79". Let's round that up to 0.80".

It is safe to use six 5lb plates and one 2.5lb plate, all from Ironmaster, with one of the short lock-screws. The total thickness of those combined plates is 3.25". When I divide 3.25 by 0.8, I end up with 4.0625. Therefore, it should be safe to use four of those 0.80" thick plates. Each plate weighs 10lbs; therefore it should be possible to assemble a 65lb kettlebell using standard plates. Unfortunately, I can't test this because I only own two standard plates. YMMV with the plates that you own.

Awesome.

That sound perfect for my needs, and I can always order longer screws later.
    I kind of wish that 20 lb. standard plates were more common, I think a couple of those would be a solid boost without getting in the way too much for heavy swings, presses, etc. I can't wait to try them out!

I think I'll go pick up some of those washers in anticipation. Great tip.

Winston Churchill

Mahatma Gandhi

... and I can always order longer screws later.
    I calculate that six plates will fit when used with the longer screws from the 120lb kit. According to my calculations, they're not quite long enough to safely use seven. Anyway, with six plates, that's an 85lb kettlebell.

If you get the really long screws from the 165lb kit, you should be able to use 9 plates per side giving you a 115lb kettlebell. It'll be really long though.

As you say, if you can find even heavier plates, you'll be able to make correspondingly heavier kettlebells. I'm curious to find what sorts of movements you'll be able to do with them and how well they'll work for doing them.

sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Another way to skin the cat (not an SW product)

Currently, 65 lbs. is more than enough for me to get my money's worth out of them.
    Beyond that, I'm just considering hypothetical situations.
    I will probably play around with them and put some 25s on to see how they are for rows or carries, etc...but I don't need super heavy dumbbells OR kettlebells in my regular routine, it's just a nice possibility.

Winston Churchill

Mahatma Gandhi

Originally Posted by sherman View Post
    Another way to skin the cat (not an SW product)

That solution may work well for dumbbells, but I don't think it'll work all that well for adding weight to the Ironmaster kettlebell handle. I see two potential problems. The first is that you'd need a substantial compression collar to keep the weight on the extension sleeve. Keep in mind that not only does it have to hold the static weight of the plates, but it has to hold up to centrifugal force as well. The second issue is the matter of being able to place the kettlebell flat on the floor. The Ironmaster lock-screw provides a flat surface, but the extension sleeve in your photo does not.

sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    That solution may work well for dumbbells, but I don't think it'll work all that well for adding weight to the Ironmaster kettlebell handle. I see two potential problems. The first is that you'd need a substantial compression collar to keep the weight on the extension sleeve. Keep in mind that not only does it have to hold the static weight of the plates, but it has to hold up to centrifugal force as well. The second issue is the matter of being able to place the kettlebell flat on the floor. The Ironmaster lock-screw provides a flat surface, but the extension sleeve in your photo does not.
    Good points KB, thanks. Certainly using spring collars would turn the lift into a discus throw or shot put, good collars required. Take some thought on the flat surface, but it can be dealt with.

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I didn't realize that the IM handles are 3/4 threaded. For some strange reason, I assumed they were 1/4 threaded like the bar/collar. ...so if you spun the bar/collar more than 1/4 turn, it would still be locked (assuming that is even possible). So unless the arrow is up, it won't unlock. I like the design better than I thought... though I still would prefer completely threaded. Sorry to go off topic but the photos helped me with another question. Thank you.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by morebarbell View Post
    I didn't realize that the IM handles are 3/4 threaded. For some strange reason, I assumed they were 1/4 threaded like the bar/collar. ...so if you spun the bar/collar more than 1/4 turn, it would still be locked (assuming that is even possible). So unless the arrow is up, it won't unlock. I like the design better than I thought... though I still would prefer completely threaded. Sorry to go off topic but the photos helped me with another question. Thank you.

If they were "all the way" threaded, they wouldn't be "quick locks"! You line the marks on the handle and the screw up....then slide the screw in until it rests against the plate. At that point, you only need to 1/4 turn it to lock it in. If the whole thing was threaded, you'd have to start threading the screw in as soon as it hits the handle and couldn't stop until it was tight. So....its not really that the handle isn't completely threaded, it just has the female dovetail slot to accommodate the male threaded dovetail on the screw. I may not be explaining this clearly, but basically it is the less than complete threading that allows it to be quickly locked up and complete threading would negate this feature.

On the 165lb upgrades, the screws are completely threaded and they are no longer "quicklocks" for example....but the benefit is being able to have really heavy db's!
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Makes sense, Keetman. I suppose that I'm probably more interested in adjustable and safety rather than quick change. I need to give them a try. I'll probably eventually end up with both the PB U-90 and IM 125... and possibly a rack of York roundheads. Btw, I gave the Craiglist seller an email about the IM bench but haven't heard back yet.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

Evidently the people I ordered from used same day shipping. Bonus!
    CA to VT in less than 24 hours. Sweet.

Anyhow, an additional bonus is that I ended up receiving two complete sets; two handles, two screws, and 65 lbs. (12 x 5 lb. + 2 x 2.5 lb.) of brand-new-in-original-packaging weight plates.
    So I probably won't even need to use any of my standard plates after all since I've got two complete 57.5 lb. kits.

Initial impressions are that these things totally live up to their reputation. The handles I got are used, but in tip-top condition. They really are quick to adjust and secure super tight. I have large hands and long arms and the feel of the handles is very comfortable.

I had to play around with them immediately, and confirmed that four 10 lb. standard pancake plates fit on with no problem.

...and just for the sake of being ridiculous, I made a 95 lb. KB for heavy swings

The synthesis of US York iron, IronMaster technology, and strongman/russian enthusiast strength training!
    DOES SEXIER EXERCISE EQUIPMENT EVEN EXIST?!?!

Nope.
    Attached Images

Winston Churchill

Mahatma Gandhi

Evidently the people I ordered from used same day shipping. Bonus!
    CA to VT in less than 24 hours. Sweet.
    Wow!

I can't believe they did same day shipping for something that heavy.

Good photos, too. I like the one of the 95lb bell. I'd be afraid of whacking my knees with it though.

Sounds like a great deal. I like that plate (alot!) but it would also look good with Ivanko Revolvers.

RL Erik 'Iwhspr Fe comes' matrix563's Avatar
    matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks, Keetman.

I ended up just pulling the trigger on a good used deal I found on Amazon. Two Kettlebell Handles. Each are 22.5 =45 lbs both handles and 57.5 additional weights (Total 102.5 lbs.), plus screws that I would have had to buy separately for $220 shipped. Compared to the pricing direct from IM, I got free shipping and 57.5 lb. of plates for free.

I figure I'll make use of them as they are (with the IM plates) even if I can't use my own standard plates as well. I am sure they will work fine, though, it just might be weird racking with the larger plates. I'll post a follow-up within a week!
    how much was it total? . cool that you got 2 handles!
    ▪█───────█▪ Equipment Crew #46 ▪█───────█▪
    ▪█───────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #21 ▪█───────█▪
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #33 ||---||

~ 5th dimensional being ~

jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000)
    That's a nice setup. The 95lb KB is hilarious!

Originally Posted by matrix563 View Post
    how much was it total? . cool that you got 2 handles!
    Order Total: $220.48 (including shipping)
    Two sets. New from IM direct would have been $187 each, so $154 saved by checking Amazon first.

Originally Posted by jtaliani View Post
    That's a nice setup. The 95lb KB is hilarious!
    Heavy swings are the shizz! I've been using them as an alternate for dead lifts. Too soon to tell if it will make me stronger, or just add more conditioning to my training.

Winston Churchill

Mahatma Gandhi

jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000)
    Order Total: $220.48 (including shipping)
    Two sets. New from IM direct would have been $187 each, so $154 saved by checking Amazon first.

Heavy swings are the shizz! I've been using them as an alternate for dead lifts. Too soon to tell if it will make me stronger, or just add more conditioning to my training.
    Good stuff! That is a great deal and innovative thinking with throwing on the 35lb plates. I can honestly say I doubt I would have even thought to try it. Of course, in the future if you decide to get the Quick Lock Dumbbells and add-on kit, you could always just use the long posts to get close to the same weight. Long and skinny versus short and wide.

Just for amusement. IM with a 180 lb load on one side - 360 potential for great bent over rows! Be quite a chick magnet with a kettlebell handle.

If anybody has a pair of the 120 extension screws collecting dust I'm willing to buy them.
    I'll probably just order a couple from IronMaster direct but thought I'd offer if anybody had them and wasn't using them.

Winston Churchill

Mahatma Gandhi

scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    what company did you order from, if you don't mind me asking? I didn't see them on an amazon search, and that's a pretty decent deal.

I ordered through Amazon, but the seller was "INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL".
    I don't have any contact info, I had to email them through Amazon before. They just showed up under the main listing (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00895AB0C/), it listed the regular price new and I just noticed there was a seller offering a used set. I checked it out and it ended up being 2 complete sets so I made out like a bandit.
    They have a storefront with all sorts of items, not just exercise equipment.
    I guess they just buy and resell used stuff *shrug*

Winston Churchill

Mahatma Gandhi

If anybody has a pair of the 120 extension screws collecting dust...
    Are you starting on heavier swings?