Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help me get into Keto.

Hey guys. So I'm a pretty slim guy. Since I was 15, (I'm now 28) I've had an insane metabolism. Eat anything, do whatever, always be skinny as hell. That slowed down a bit after my Army business was over, as I ate -properly-, and exercised a lot.

Two years ago I moved in with some buddies, and my lifestyle went from...

- Live off of beef stew, BBQ, and ramen.

To...

- Eat out constantly, drink excessively, and basically pig out.

Needless to say, I've developed a gut, and gained about 10-15 lbs. So I've decided to stop feasting on anything I damn well please, stop sitting around every day doing nothing, and see what happens.

I'm on "Day 1" of the "Atkins Diet". Yesterday I tried eating nothing but two cups of white rice, with some Olive Oil for fats, and realized that wasn't going to get me anywhere, just make me die. So I'm giving this whole low-carb thing a go.

My breakfast was...

3 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Three Large eggs, scrambled.

Four slices of mild cheddar cheese, mixed with the eggs.

A steamer bag of vegetables with cheese (broccoli, etc).

I had an energy drink for lunch (Rockstar, 0 carbs, 0 sugar. Some decent B vitamins in there).

My dinner was...

Five large eggs, scrambled.

Three slices of mild cheddar cheese, mixed with the eggs.

Two stalks (pieces, whatever) of celery.

Four strips of bacon (no sugar/etc).

Is this okay for Atkins/Low carb? Doing a carb count, I had something like 14g of carbs today. My exercise has consisted of (for the past four days) 30 minutes of cardio, burning approximately 300 calories per day. Although I've been doing cardio for four days, I started my low carb thing today. Which I suppose might be good, as I "Carbed out" yesterday on the white rice.

I know that I need to vary my foods a bit, and when I go shopping, I will. Get some fish in there, turkey, whatever. Some variance in vegetables. Do you low-carb folks have any advice for me? Is what I ate today low-carb enough? I read that 1 gram of carb is about 4 calories, so doing some simple math, I should have destroyed most of the carbs I've ingested from cardio. Any thoughts on that?

Also, I plan on starting body weight exercise (squats, pushups, situps) tomorrow. I might also do some bench. Any comments or advice about starting off with low-carb eating, slamming into ketosis, and working out? I'm really new to -any- type of dieting, but this damn gut just has to die.

Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Kruniac View Post
    Hey guys. So I'm a pretty slim guy. Since I was 15, (I'm now 28) I've had an insane metabolism. Eat anything, do whatever, always be skinny as hell. That slowed down a bit after my Army business was over, as I ate -properly-, and exercised a lot.

Two years ago I moved in with some buddies, and my lifestyle went from...

- Live off of beef stew, BBQ, and ramen.

To...

- Eat out constantly, drink excessively, and basically pig out.

Needless to say, I've developed a gut, and gained about 10-15 lbs. So I've decided to stop feasting on anything I damn well please, stop sitting around every day doing nothing, and see what happens.

I'm on "Day 1" of the "Atkins Diet". Yesterday I tried eating nothing but two cups of white rice, with some Olive Oil for fats, and realized that wasn't going to get me anywhere, just make me die. So I'm giving this whole low-carb thing a go.

My breakfast was...

Three Large eggs, scrambled.

Four slices of mild cheddar cheese, mixed with the eggs.

A steamer bag of vegetables with cheese (broccoli, etc).

I had an energy drink for lunch (Rockstar, 0 carbs, 0 sugar. Some decent B vitamins in there).

My dinner was...

Five large eggs, scrambled.

Three slices of mild cheddar cheese, mixed with the eggs.

Two stalks (pieces, whatever) of celery.

Four strips of bacon (no sugar/etc).

Is this okay for Atkins/Low carb? Doing a carb count, I had something like 14g of carbs today. My exercise has consisted of (for the past four days) 30 minutes of cardio, burning approximately 300 calories per day. Although I've been doing cardio for four days, I started my low carb thing today. Which I suppose might be good, as I "Carbed out" yesterday on the white rice.

I know that I need to vary my foods a bit, and when I go shopping, I will. Get some fish in there, turkey, whatever. Some variance in vegetables. Do you low-carb folks have any advice for me? Is what I ate today low-carb enough? I read that 1 gram of carb is about 4 calories, so doing some simple math, I should have destroyed most of the carbs I've ingested from cardio. Any thoughts on that?

Also, I plan on starting body weight exercise (squats, pushups, situps) tomorrow. I might also do some bench. Any comments or advice about starting off with low-carb eating, slamming into ketosis, and working out? I'm really new to -any- type of dieting, but this damn gut just has to die.

You seem to have a healthy appetite for real food (fat!) and you should go whole hog with this and do a ketogenic diet instead of "just" low carb or traditional Atkins. That means doing high fat, moderate proteins and low carb. How low is low carb? Researchers found that on a diet with 30 g, 60 g or 104 g carbs, weight loss was 16.2, 12.8, and 11.9, with fat-loss accounting for 95%, 84% or 75% of the weight loss. You can pick your prefered level of "low" from that.

Help yourself through the adaptation with the clever use of coconut oil for some extra and very ketosis-freindly energy.
    Help yourself thought any untoward sides with the clever use of bone broth with loads of sodium, magnesium and potassium.
    Eddie Izzard for Mayor!!!!

S7N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey,

Try keep the carbs below 50g per day, I aim for less than 30. Keep it green!

To start with I would shoot for 65/f 30/p 5/c based on tdee

Plenty of water, sleep well and just read as much as you can for extra knowledge, most will help out with questions raised.

Good luck
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/7SIN

Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kruniac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Okay, this is great info. I'm not really doing "Atkins", I guess. Just fatting it up without heart attacks, getting plenty of protein, and cutting carbs.

I thought I could do the "Induction" thing of 20g/day to get Ketosis going, then upping my carbs to ~50g/day while adding on more and more exercise.

Just try keep an eye on macros, you will soon see how many carbs I'd good for you.

You probably won't feel to great during the first few days but that passes and when it does you will find you feel great.

Originally Posted by S7N View Post
    Just try keep an eye on macros, you will soon see how many carbs I'd good for you.

You probably won't feel to great during the first few days but that passes and when it does you will find you feel great.
    Yeah, I've heard that. To be honest, my energy level is through the roof after starting to work out and getting proper sleep. It might be because of my carb out day, but I definitely am doing awesome on energy. We'll see how a week or two of <20g of carbs affects me, but I can handle it.

I've always figured that Atkins or another low carb plan was mostly for overweight people. But after researching what exactly goes on chemically, I figure it can be just as good for me as someone twice my weight. I'm not out to reduce weight per se, just get my body consuming fat, leaning down, and generally getting healthier. I'd rather do it the low carb way than calorie counting any day.

Speaking of which, should I be counting calories? I gave an example of what I'll be eating, and I'm mostly focused on extremely low carbs rather than actually worrying about calories. Should I also be concerned about how many grams of protein/"good" fats I intake, or should I just eat heartily and keep carbs down?

Any advice or tips you guys have is more than welcome. Also - workout tips? I'm not in great shape endurance-wise, which is why I'm sticking to cardio until I can handle it, then ramping up more and more activity. I don't want to overtrain and get sick, especially during a metabolic change like I'm shooting for.

Team MuscleTech Rep/EMT-B BlueRev's Avatar
    BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Everything you ever need to know.
    http://josepharcita.blogspot.com/
    Kick.com/beetoxic
    Give me a Follow for some REP

Originally Posted by BlueRev View Post
    Everything you ever need to know.
    That's simply awesome. Thanks a lot.

Smuts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Personally I am finding the MyfitnessPal online calorie tracker an absolute godsend in keeping track of my carbs and calories. Set up an account, put in your desired calorie level manually (don't let it calculate for you, it's just daft) and set your macros to the required percentages.

Originally Posted by Smuts View Post
    Personally I am finding the MyfitnessPal online calorie tracker an absolute godsend in keeping track of my carbs and calories. Set up an account, put in your desired calorie level manually (don't let it calculate for you, it's just daft) and set your macros to the required percentages.
    My daily calorie requirements have always been a mystery to me. Most calculators claim that I need 1950 to keep my body weight. However, I've been stuffing my face with everything I can get my hands on since I was 15. Somedays I'll take in 3000 calories, some days closer to 2000/2500. Before I started exercising, for about 12 years, my day consisted of - "Wake up. Take a leak. Sit in chair. Eat. Sit in chair. Bathroom. Sit in chair." I rarely left my office chair. Ever.

So I dunno. They claim for my height/weight/age that I require x number of calories, but logic tells me that if that was my calorie expenditure/day, I'd be MASSIVE by now from how much I ate. I just don't know exactly how high it is.

Anyway. I'll give MyfitnessPal a shot. Thanks a ton.

Originally Posted by Smuts View Post
    Me to, it works well

ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ezjax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Here is the simplest way to get into ketosis..

Wakeup- drink coffee with full heavy cream and splenda or just splenda preferably
    Fasted training and cardio
    @ about 1 pm have anything from this list
    Bacon sausage eggs rib steak(not filet) chicken legs and thighs, pork shoulder, if you mist eat chicken breast drench it in coconut oil
    Eat anything on the list when you are hungry

Do this for a few consecutive days and you will be inducted into the fat fast keto hall off fame

Save the dairy and cheeses and avocado and other things with negligible but present carbs for after the 3 days.

2tbsp of oil before bed is nice too for the bowels..

The idea is to have a fat fast

Originally Posted by ezjax View Post
    Here is the simplest way to get into ketosis..

Wakeup- drink coffee with full heavy cream and splenda or just splenda preferably
    Fasted training and cardio
    @ about 1 pm have anything from this list
    Bacon sausage eggs rib steak(not filet) chicken legs and thighs, pork shoulder, if you mist eat chicken breast drench it in coconut oil
    Eat anything on the list when you are hungry

Do this for a few consecutive days and you will be inducted into the fat fast keto hall off fame

Save the dairy and cheeses and avocado and other things with negligible but present carbs for after the 3 days.

2tbsp of oil before bed is nice too for the bowels..

The idea is to have a fat fast
    I see. So cardio early, THEN pack away food. I've been having breakfast, possibly lunch, (coffee of course), then some good cardio, THEN massive dinner.

Thanks for the tips. It's much appreciated. Like I said, I have little idea what I'm doing when it comes to any type of diet, so anyone with experience with this is a boon.