Thread: Squat Form Help

101111101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lightbulb Squat Form Help

Hi, i felt my form was very bad so i lowered my weight back down, before increasing weight again I want my form to be correct. I feel like my back leans forward too much... Please help

Registered User christianecoach's Avatar
    christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100) christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100) christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100) christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100) christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100) christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100) christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100) christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100) christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100) christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100) christianecoach is not very well liked. (-100)
    Hi,

I will to teach you how to perform the squat correctly with perfect form so you can avoid injury and explode your muscle growth.

The first thing you must do before performing a single repetition is to ensure the squat rack is set up to properly fit you. Adjust the squat rack so the bar is at approximately chest height. This will allow you to unrack the weight without having to come up on your tip toes or waste energy by performing too much of a squatting movement. Also, adjust the cross bars, so they are about an inch below the level of the bar at the bottom of your squatting position. This will allow you to bale out at the bottom of your squat if you need to.

Alright, now that we got the squat rack set up it's time to get down to business. Approach the bar and center yourself underneath it. The bar should rest across your upper trapezius muscle below the level of your seventh cervical vertebrae. Your seventh cervical vertebra is the big bump you feel at the base of your cervical spine when you bend your neck forward. The bar should NEVER rest on your cervical spine. Position your hands on the bar at a comfortable position.

Now, extend your knees and unrack the bar. Before descending, lock in your low back and pull your shoulder blades back. Your low back should have a slight inward curve (lumbar lordosis). This posture should be maintained throughout the squatting movement. When visualizing this position think of a military man or women coming to attention. This is the position you want to be in before starting the squat. Your feet should also be turned slightly outward.

You're now ready to begin. When you descend think about sitting back into a chair. As you go down, you should be simultaneously bending at your knee and hip joints, but never let your back round over. It is O.K. for your trunk to bend forward, but this should come from flexion of your hip joint and not from bending at your low back. Actually, it is a must that your trunk flex forward to maintain your balance. If you attempted to keep your back perpendicular to the floor you would lose your balance backwards or would have to allow your knees to go past your toes as you descended. The latter, by the way, is a huge no no. You should never allow your knees to go past your toes. If you do, you're putting tremendous and potentially damaging pressure on your knees. Descend until your thighs are parallel with the floor. Have a training partner watch you from the side, so you can get a feel for where this position is.

Once your thighs are parallel with the floor, press up. You should now be simultaneously extending at your knee and hip joints. A big mistake I see people making is they extend at their knees without coordinated extension at the hip joint, as well. This causes too much forward flexion of the trunk and they inevitable round their back. They compensate by completing the movement through extension of their low back, which increases strain on the low back and could lead to injury. Avoid this by remembering to keep your low back locked in and your shoulder blades back, as you press up.

Another important point to mention is to always keep your eyes straight forward throughout the squatting movement. Don't attempt to look at the ceiling or down at the floor. Both can have detrimental effects on your form.

Now that you know exactly how to successfully and safely perform the squat it is time to start practicing. I recommend you use just the bar or broomstick to practice with until you have mastered the proper technique. Use a training partner to give you feedback. Once you have mastered the correct form you can begin adding weight. Never sacrifice your form just to lift more weight. I assure you that if you learn the correct form your muscle and strength gains will soon follow. Best of all, you will avoid injury.

Alright, it is time to put your new found knowledge of the squat to work and watch as you take your strength and muscle growth to a new level. I wish you the best of luck in your fitness pursuits.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Can't tell much from vid 1 due to the camera angle.

Vid 2 looks good, OP. Keep this same good form as you gradually add weight to the bar over time, and you're on your way.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think they look fine as well op.
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card
    21 BB 40+1st..50+1st..Open 5th..4th Card

fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50) fnares will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Looked pretty good. IMO you should go a little slower on the decline of the movement.
    In addition to being an amazing body builder (LOL), I'm also a rapper.
    Check out my group's youtube page:

www.youtube.com/wenthemooneclypse

And my solo youtube page

www.youtube.com/frankielyrical

SLH350 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SLH350 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SLH350 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SLH350 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SLH350 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SLH350 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SLH350 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SLH350 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SLH350 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SLH350 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SLH350 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Your hips look like they're tucking at the bottom of the movement, it's very common and probably a flexibility issue. Back angle seems fine for a low bar squat, if you want to be more upright I'd just put the bar higher on your traps.

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hips tucking is a form issue, not a flexibility issue. If you allow your lower back and midsection to be relaxed at the bottom of the squat, the hips will tuck, period, regardless of how flexible you are.

OP, to fix this issue, you should do the following:

1. keep your chest up
    2. keep your abs braced
    3. keep your lower back tight

For added stability you can also take a take breath and hold at the top of each rep. Guarantee this will make a world of difference and you will squat with a much straighter back.

The other thing I noticed is that you could stand to slow things down. You seem to be crashing down into the hole a little bit. Try and keep things smoother and more controlled.

101111101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    alright thanks guys will it help if i post a video of me doing a heavier weight?

UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50) UnitedRampage will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 101111101 View Post
    alright thanks guys will it help if i post a video of me doing a heavier weight?
    Yes, because form is normally near perfect at a comfortable weight. Post vids of your 5RM and 75% of that weight.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looks fascinating.

preacher of simplicity godsamurai's Avatar
    godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    looks good to me. Torso does leans forward at the bottom position which is normal. It's just that people have different length of torso so the angles of each individuals vary. Don't be so concerned about the numeric measurement of angle however, because your body naturaly gets you the angle for you for the best way to balance the body. As long as form is good and balance is kept, the angle really means nothing.
    Dymatize ISO-100 protein: 25g protein, 1 carb, 0 fat, 0 lactose, 0 sugar
    That's all you need.

Personal Dymatize protein review (2011):