bodyflash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bodyflash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

wheelchair propulsion - forearms

So lately I have been trying to move around outside with a manual wheelchair (it's a step up from the current situation really), and it's not my shoulders or my chest, but the forearms which get tired very fast.

Now I'm already working out for some time now, but grip/forearm strength was always my weakness. What exercises should I do to improve this? I'm looking for forearm specific exercises, because I'm already doing other exercises like hammer curls.

Maybe static holds, grippers, or a combination? Other exercises?

womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It isn't strength, it's endurance.

Get some therabands & do the wrist exercises 3-4 days a week. 1 x 20.

http://orthoncforms.com/forms/physic..._Theraband.pdf
    Bender, part of being human is having self-control. -Amy Wong

Fat loss per month =
    Obese : 6-8%
    Moderately overweight: 4-6%
    Average: 2-4%
    Lean 1-2%
    Very lean .5-1%

^via female sticky on realistic goals

bodyflash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bodyflash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by womanoid View Post

Get some therabands & do the wrist exercises 3-4 days a week. 1 x 20.

http://orthoncforms.com/forms/physic..._Theraband.pdf
    Yea it's really about endurance, so a relatively high amount of reps is crucial.

But I really need that wrist theraband thing? Not to downgrade your reply (which I'm thankful for) but my idea is that I can train my forearms just fine with only dumbbells.

womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) womanoid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You can. I prefer the theraband because it's easier to make adjustments in resistance.
    Bender, part of being human is having self-control. -Amy Wong

Fat loss per month =
    Obese : 6-8%
    Moderately overweight: 4-6%
    Average: 2-4%
    Lean 1-2%
    Very lean .5-1%

^via female sticky on realistic goals

You can. I prefer the theraband because it's easier to make adjustments in resistance.
    I see, some exercises in the link you posted can really only be done with those therabands.

So far, I came up with my own forearm routine, as a 'supplement' to gain that extra forearm endurance:

Wrist curls
    Reverse Wrist curls
    Static holds

I will do 5 sets of the first two exercises, and do 3 sets of static holds. High amount of reps is priority here.

anyone else?

funkyeah is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkyeah is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkyeah is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkyeah is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkyeah is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkyeah is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkyeah is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkyeah is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkyeah is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkyeah is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkyeah is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Do you feel it most in the inner or outer? (flexors or extensors). With those resistance bands you can get a really good workout. The tensions increases as you move through a rep and they're very good for just sitting around and doing wrist curls and reverse wrist curls while watching tv or something. You can also grab the cable and do supination and pronation. And ulnar and radial deviation like with a weight.
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...alFlexion.html

I like to sit down and put the cable under my feet (a little more than shoulder width apart) then do wrist curls with my forearms on my knees. To do reverse you simply grab the opposite side handle and pull back instead. The cable will be making an X
    SHAZAM!!!

orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) orangegoblin is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Wrist roller bar?

Or, are you able to do wrist curls in your chair somehow?

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Exclamation

Originally Posted by bodyflash View Post
    anyone else?
    I'll go ahead and throw my 2 cents into this...

First off, you don't say what your bodyweight is, that will make a big difference in how mobile you are and the strength in your arms. I'd say do some heavy DB wrist curls, for your grip you might want to get and use a gripper (COC #1) and also do some thick bar work. You'll have to do some work on your triceps as well; bodyweight dips or light benching will do the trick here. Are you working your biceps? Good luck!
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's also strength. You cannot work on endurance for a task that you are weak at.

If you've ever had to train your grip for deadlifting you would understand this. If your grip fails on a single rep of 405 lbs, holding 225lbs for a longer period of time isn't going to help much. This is an extreme example, but it gives you the idea.

Originally Posted by orangegoblin View Post
    Wrist roller bar?

Or, are you able to do wrist curls in your chair somehow?
    I can stand and walk just fine, so no need to do it in a wheel chair

Originally Posted by funkyeah View Post
    Do you feel it most in the inner or outer? (flexors or extensors). With those resistance bands you can get a really good workout. The tensions increases as you move through a rep and they're very good for just sitting around and doing wrist curls and reverse wrist curls while watching tv or something. You can also grab the cable and do supination and pronation. And ulnar and radial deviation like with a weight.
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...alFlexion.html

I like to sit down and put the cable under my feet (a little more than shoulder width apart) then do wrist curls with my forearms on my knees. To do reverse you simply grab the opposite side handle and pull back instead. The cable will be making an X
    I haven't seen that exercise yet, I might incorporate it in my forearm workout. I know a cable can be handy but for now I really try to start basic with just dumbbells.

Originally Posted by John Hicks View Post
    I'll go ahead and throw my 2 cents into this...

First off, you don't say what your bodyweight is, that will make a big difference in how mobile you are and the strength in your arms. I'd say do some heavy DB wrist curls, for your grip you might want to get and use a gripper (COC #1) and also do some thick bar work. You'll have to do some work on your triceps as well; bodyweight dips or light benching will do the trick here. Are you working your biceps? Good luck!
    I'm 6 feet, and a bit more than 160 lbs, with very low bodyfat XD I don't know about HEAVY dumbbells, but wrist curls are pretty good yea

I also have grippers, but as of yet, I can barely move the #1, but that's a matter of training probably. I also do the regular exercises like bench press, bicep curls and stuff like that. My triceps are actually the biggest of my muscles at the moment

Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
    It's also strength. You cannot work on endurance for a task that you are weak at.

If you've ever had to train your grip for deadlifting you would understand this. If your grip fails on a single rep of 405 lbs, holding 225lbs for a longer period of time isn't going to help much. This is an extreme example, but it gives you the idea.
    Yea eventually both will matter. For me now, the focus will be on endurance though.

medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    search for a thread called "armbender's forearm training" (or something like that) by a poster called (not surprisingly) armbender.
    -

Originally Posted by medjen View Post
    search for a thread called "armbender's forearm training" (or something like that) by a poster called (not surprisingly) armbender.
    that thread is pretty interesting too. I think by now I have enough stuff to work on, thanks