Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bro curls?

Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by oldballs View Post
    I would love to see the proof that there is some increased risk of injury if I cheat a little.
    It is the context in which people say it, cheating can be just a little momentum (which is usually veryy safe), or it can be downright dangerous stuff, a cheat set just can be anything, that is why I hate when people put "cheating" as a broad umbrella. I for one, when logging my workouts write how I performed the movement, E.g if it was a "cheated set", I would write (semi strict/loose/very loose) and assume everything else is strict if doesn't have a marker. At no point i say I am cheating, because I am not really cheating myself, I know why I am doing what I am doing.

Anyhow, I assume that when people hear cheating, their mind goes to this

"Do not subordinate fundamental principles to minor details."

Physiotherapy instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/dayyan.physio/

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by IDrinkBloodLOL View Post
    I find myself very internally conflicted - on the one hand the advice you give is technically very good. On the other hand, you are in no way qualified to give it.
    You gotta admit it's kinda cute, she's trying so hard to sound smart!

I would love to see the proof that there is some increased risk of injury if I cheat a little.
    Amen brother.

Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100) Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100) Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100) Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100) Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100) Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100) Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100) Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100) Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100) Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100) Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100)
    I don't think always lifting with perfect form will give results for forever if you're a natural body builder. After you leave the noob gains behind, your body will demand more from you.

You will never achieve that if you curl 20-25 kgs with text-book forms. You need to lift heavier, in order to lift heavier you need to use a little bit bad form. At the same time you should watch for the risk of injury. But the life is not that perfect, either.

Oh...and if you are on steroids, don't bother to argue. you'll grow somehow anyway

therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you are going to go hard and balls out on those biceps, bring a friend.

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100) Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100) Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100) Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100) Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100) Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100) Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100) Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100) Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100) Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100) Nitro Boy is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by therorschach View Post
    If you are going to go hard and balls out on those biceps, bring a friend.

When we say go hard, we mean this ;

I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by adamdavidson47 View Post
    Sometimes, people do heavy cheating bicep curls for the negative more than the contraction.
    This. They could be getting benefits out of that. Still, imo, best to use proper form. Leave cheating for the end of a set to get a few extra reps out but there's a proper way to cheat as well (shouldn't increase your risk of injury just to get more reps).

I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Xuaxace View Post
    It is the context in which people say it, cheating can be just a little momentum (which is usually veryy safe), or it can be downright dangerous stuff, a cheat set just can be anything, that is why I hate when people put "cheating" as a broad umbrella. I for one, when logging my workouts write how I performed the movement, E.g if it was a "cheated set", I would write (semi strict/loose/very loose) and assume everything else is strict if doesn't have a marker. At no point i say I am cheating, because I am not really cheating myself, I know why I am doing what I am doing.

Anyhow, I assume that when people hear cheating, their mind goes to this

agreed (and that pic gives me back pain just lookin at it, lol)

DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think I realized why it is that you posting advice on this forum bothers me so much: your lifts aren't up to par. It's not just because you're a girl either.

Every girl in these videos reports a bodyweight of 110-120 pounds.

Meanwhile, you at 135 pounds:

I find myself very internally conflicted - on the one hand the advice you give is technically very good. On the other hand, you are in no way qualified to give it.
    I find you pathetic. at the beginning when I started posting here you attacked me for no reason even tho my advice was legit. Now you tried to prove me wrong, and after everyone approved that I'm right and you're wrong you couldn't take it " OMG, A GIRL IS RIGHT AND I'M WRONG, WHAT AM I GONNA DO :'(" after hours of crying you decided to admit that my advices are very good but my lifts aren't good enough to qualify it(make sense lol), and again you fail. as JOHN GARGANI and others explained those lifts are working for me. do you wonder why my advices are very good just like you admitted ? do you have any Idea what my job is? and generally why are you so much bothered with me?
    Waiting for your next strike.

PS : I know this isn't your real personality. The violent name and attitude is just a mask to hide the good boy you are from the inside.

Last edited by DivaJana; 02-24-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'd say just do what works for you and gets you results, all the while avoiding injury.

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post
    sorry, Blood, but you are on the wrong path here...you are essentially calling her out, but I have to disagree also...

it seems that you are fixated on absolute amounts of weight lifted, and if you are, you are missing the finer points of BB....
    ...But the girls in the video all weigh ~10 pounds less than her.

I am definitely calling her out.

Originally Posted by DivaJana
    I find you pathetic. at the beginning when I started posting here you attacked me for no reason even tho my advice was legit. Now you tried to prove me wrong, and after everyone approved that I'm right and you're wrong you couldn't take it " OMG, A GIRL IS RIGHT AND I'M WRONG, WHAT AM I GONNA DO :'(" after hours of crying you decided to admit that my advices are very good but my lifts aren't good enough to qualify it(make sense lol), and again you fail. as JOHN GARGANI and others explained those lifts are working for me. do you wonder why my advices are very good just like you admitted ? do you have any Idea what my job is? and generally why are you so much bothered with me?

All other info (i.e. my problem, your qualification etc) is already contained in existing posts.
    Last edited by IDrinkBloodLOL; 02-24-2013 at 09:21 AM.

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by DivaJana View Post
    I think the problem is when people with little or no results give advice in absolutes. There is no clear path for cheating. It will work great for some, and not at all for others, but proving either side is impossible.

Trying to give advice to someone who curls a lot more than you bench usually does not go over well. Its like taking financial advice from a homeless bum, it might be good advice, but its just hard to keep a straight face.

DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ...But the girls in the video all weigh ~10 pounds less than her.

I am definitely calling her out.
    Layne Norton pulled 700 lb at your weight, to follow your sense, post a video of your deadlift or stop giving advices on this forum.

[img]http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/umad.gif[img]

All other info (i.e. my problem, your qualification etc) is already contained in existing posts.
    lol not really sure whos mad. I'm not the one following you every where trying to prove you wrong and getting owned by others.

Do you realize that we aren't fighting for a payed job? we both are volunteering to give legit advices to others. or at least that's what I thought, but it seems that all your doing is just trying to proclaim yourself the administrator of this forum, you decide who gives advice and who doesn't. Strong your advice is very good but don't give it because I'm insecure/10. Instead of trying to stop me from helping others try to help them yourself or find something better to do with your time. Good luck.
    Last edited by DivaJana; 02-24-2013 at 09:47 AM.

joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Good luck with your biceps goals of 2013.
    yes I disagree with his statement too, but only cos of my own personal experience doing curls with proper form and doing the cheat curls, for me it turned out that the heavy cheat curls got me...Tendonitis ...terrific! proper form and less weight for me from that point on.....and so far so good : )

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Layne Norton pulled 700 lb at your weight, to follow your sense, post a video of your deadlift or stop giving advices on this forum.

lol not really sure whos mad. I'm not the one following you every where trying to prove you wrong and getting owned by others.

Do you realize that we aren't fighting for a payed job? we both are volunteering to give legit advices to others. or at least that's what I thought, but it seems that all your doing is just trying to proclaim yourself the administrator of this forum, you decide who gives advice and who doesn't. Strong your advice is very good but don't give it because I'm insecure/10. Instead of trying to stop me from helping others try to help them yourself or find something better to do with your time. Good luck.
    Lol, give whatever advice you want to give to anyone, but it doesn't change the fact it's simply parroted information. Hearing from people who've actually achieved something usually provides better insight.

Originally Posted by BombDonald View Post
    Lol, give whatever advice you want to give to anyone, but it doesn't change the fact it's simply parroted information. Hearing from people who've actually achieved something usually provides better insight.
    Yes, because I'm the one who proclaimed to be experienced and was advocating heavy weight curls with horrible form while the people who actually have respectable achievements and experience proved me wrong.

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes, because I'm the one who proclaimed to be experienced and was advocating heavy weight curls with horrible form while the people who actually have respectable achievements and experience proved me wrong.
    when did he say horrible form? and aware me on the evidence brought forth that strict curls are better?

jobronze will become famous soon enough. (+50) jobronze will become famous soon enough. (+50) jobronze will become famous soon enough. (+50) jobronze will become famous soon enough. (+50) jobronze will become famous soon enough. (+50) jobronze will become famous soon enough. (+50) jobronze will become famous soon enough. (+50) jobronze will become famous soon enough. (+50) jobronze will become famous soon enough. (+50) jobronze will become famous soon enough. (+50) jobronze will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Tillday View Post
    there's guys like Kai Green that preach perfect sform no matter what. Watch his "training with Kai" videos where he basically ends of explaining to every guy in every one they're using too much weight for what he's trying to teach them.

Then there's plenty of successful BBs who cheat reps and get big.
    Great point.

With Kai and other BBers, there are some other physiological things at play too.

Kai doesn't mention that to get where he is there was years of upping the poundages. It's just not possible to progress in this manner at advanced levels though. After years of lifting your MMC gets better and you activate MORE muscle fibers. Less weight for an advanced trainee can be much much more taxing...analogous to tapping into a greater number of brain potential in sci fi movies.

Too many "euro" skinny dudes in the gym with textbook A+ form..and lots of jacked dudes with B+ form. This isn't coincidence. Food intake is part if this but so is Progressive Overload which sometimes means some intelligent use of body English.

Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i personally use slightly to fairly loose form on all reps on either BB curls or simultaneous db curls with 1 or 2 final reps more loosely for a good negative. My negatives are closer to strict. I'll do mostly just these for about 6 working sets and thats it. Once i burn out on this routine ill do db concentration curls for a few weeks.

Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pairunoyd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Nitro Boy View Post
    When we say go hard, we mean this ;

this is my form except i put a tad more emphasis on the neg

i personally welcome your posts

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lol, Arnold was willing to try anything to get more jacked though.

In response to the argument:

Regardless of personal experience or certifications, we all have mentors and role models that influence our training philosophy whether we acknowledge it or not. So everything said on this forum is basically parroting of some kind and everyone reading the posts has to decide which works better for them. No need to try and change anyone's mind, we get to decide through our own experiences.

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by kanis999 View Post
    Lol, Arnold was willing to try anything to get more jacked though.
    That isn't Arnold....is it?
    Experience, not just theory

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    Pretty sure it is. Go to Google images and search for 'arnold cheat curl'.

why would you be suprised if that is Arnold?

davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    It just doesn't look like him to me at all. That photo looks super old...maybe he was just much younger at the time the photo was taken? Doesn't matter anyway really. Just a thought.

It just doesn't look like him to me at all. That photo looks super old...maybe he was just much younger at the time the photo was taken? Doesn't matter anyway really. Just a thought.
    pretty sure he was 15 in that pic

pretty sure he was 15 in that pic
    That is one old looking 15 yr old. lol

i thought i read that arnie was a curling competitor. maybe they were talking about the game played on ice but i couldve sworn i read that he competed in curling competitions like people do in benching competitions. If that stupid idea is true, itd certainly be difficult to define the official rules.

maybe it was his dad:

http://www.globalarnold.com/en/biography.htm

jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just watched it and it was a good video...

do you disagree with any point?

nope. he was the guy i was referring to a few posts up that you apparently didn't read

anonymous
    distal bicep ruptures are most common in men over 35, bear than in mind. Kids can do some stupid sh-t and get away with it, older trainees need to be smarter

edit, lol @ the above jimmy rustling... 99.9% of people on bb.com have zero qualifications to offer advice on training (or anything else), at best they're like that lame skinny fat PT who tells you that squatting past parallel will hurt your knees, at worst they're some tard parroting riptoe or some other guru and assuming they can bask in the gurus reflected glory.

thats kind of what this site is famous for and why it's been a standing joke for years...